That's how a differential works. Look it up in YouTube

#17 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Both wheels are connected via the differential, when in neutral everything is free and both wheels can move freely.
When in gear the differential 'cage' is connected to the engine thru the gearbox and when the engine is off it basically doesn't move, but as the drive shafts (wheels) are interconnected so will move in sync.
If one was on the ground or stuck, the other would be impossible to turn by hand.
...Not sure I explain it very well, it is easier with a differential in your hands...

Attached File  engine-diff.jpg   50.71K   5 downloads

#18 Drextek29

Drextek29

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for all your help. I pulled the motor and will look at the differential. I put my original motor back in as I fix this one.

#19 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Have a look at the number of teeth on the crown wheel and pinion, if you're lucky it's just he put a small pinion and a small crown so they don't actually touch.
Check everything els too as you're at it, better safe than sorry.
Good luck and hope it goes back in quick!
Ben.

Editing is spell-check errors...

Edited by MacGyver, 02 October 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#20 Drextek29

Drextek29

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:31 AM

Thank you for your help.

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

MP'sI are more known that most for breaking final drives. 

There are 3 inputs/outputs on a diff, the gearbox and 2 wheels. Hold any one still and the remaining free output must turn if you turn the other.

Putting it in gear, with the clutch engaged, should do enough to hold the gearbox input, then turning one wheel will turn the other in the opposite direction at the same speed. If this doesn't happen the diff may have failed, but it could equally be the final drive crownwheel is turning instead. If it's tripped teeth from the crownwheel or pinion, turning the engine over (by hand*) whilst in gear and/or pushing the car to turn both wheels together should rotate the gears so they mesh, or at least crunch (if there any teeth left!). It does sound like the diff cover needs to come off for a proper look. That's unless you're lucky enough for it to be stripped splines somewhere on a driveshaft. 

*4th gear is 1:1, so half a turn of the engine is also half a turn of the pinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users