22 replies to this topic

#16 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Good one Colin, glad you got a sensible way forward. You will feel the difference.

Ac

#17 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

the diaphragm needs to be flat

Just to add, every one I build is wrong and needs adjusting.

Ac

I find the same.

Interesting comments, so a large number of clutches are likely to be sub-optimal?

If they are built correctly I would be interested to know how much this may improve torque capability. How many ft-lbs can a good blue diaphragm take reliably if all assembled correctly with optimised height etc?

#18 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

Carbon, read the first link in my post before the video.

Ac

#19 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

The preceding is some of the best advice I have seen on the internet with regards to setting up the clutch on the pre verto system and certainly explains the reason I have had so many problems with my 1275 crankshaft thrust bearings over the last 26 years, especially considering I have had so called mini experts working on it (including myself :mmkay: ). But still suprising that it has survived our three children all getting their licenses and driving the hell out of it over the years across southern africa.

I am now busy with a full nut and bolt restoration and am being especially anal about crankshaft, primary gear, idler gear, gearbox layshaft etc etc clearances being correct and will be replacing all the clutch part linkages etc.

What I am failing to find on my searches is the thickness  of the linings or the depth of the rivets from the surface of a new standard clutch lining. My current clutch was supposedly new about 4000 kms ago and when I assemble it the diaphram part is not quite level where it should be flat.

So I am wondering if I should purchase a new clutch plate (from Minispares :D ) and then have the assembly reset correctly and possible have the horns skimmed to get the steel diaphram perfectly level. Obviously with use and the lining wearing the diaphram will go from flat to slightly convex towards the release bearing side.

The straps are horizontal when assembled.

Look forward to the experts advice.

Rory

#20 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

I changed from a verto to pre verto with an orange spring and set it up as per AC's video. Result is a clutch pedal more or less the same as the user friendly verto clutch pedal "feel".

#21 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hmmm standard plate thickness, there are so many they are all different. I don't bother measuring I simply assmble the clutch and check this heights from there.

Ac

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,958 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

When I do them, I do similar to Mini13, measure to get the diaphragm spring flat and then add 50% of the clutch friction material to the rivets. Then as the Plate wears the pressure over the life of the plate is about as even as you'll get.

Off hand, I can't recall how much that is. Even if yours has done 4000 miles, it's not a lot, measure what it is and run from there.

Edited by Moke Spider, 04 October 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#23 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the response all; I shall get a new clutch plate and then set the assembly up with the diaphram and straps parallel to the flywheel surface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users