7 replies to this topic

#1 Clarko

Clarko

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hi all, I've just recently restored a 1978 Clubman Estate 998 Auto, after finally driving it you can go through the gears fine with no problems, until you change to the fourth gear, which is when it whines, slips and clunks in. Once it is in, there's no problems, drives fine with no slipping or noises, etc. The gearbox can be changed manually, going through all the gears with no issues whatsoever. The kickdown works perfect, as does the gearbox when it's. changing down, slight jerk when first putting it into gear from neutral, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just wondered if anyone could throw any light on this, the oil and filter was new when I put the car back together, used Halfords 20w50 classic engine oil, in the steel tin, it's a green colour, but this should not affect it should it?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,954 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

20W40 or 15W40 is a better grade to be using in Autos.

The other thing I'd be checking first is the shifter adjustment, the autos are very sensitive to that.

#3 Clarko

Clarko

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

Thank you for that, I'll certainly drop it out and try it, and also check the adjustment, now you've mentioned it, seems more than likely an adjustment issue, another night in the garage for me!!

#4 Clarko

Clarko

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

Just thinking about the adjustment comment, surely if the gearbox was in 'D' and not locked into a single gear, the adjustment would not really matter, if it did then you would think it would have the same problem when it engages the first gear to set off through the gears?

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,954 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Just thinking about the adjustment comment, surely if the gearbox was in 'D' and not locked into a single gear, the adjustment would not really matter, if it did then you would think it would have the same problem when it engages the first gear to set off through the gears?

Not necessarily. I'm far from any kind of expert with Autos, but played with them enough to know first hand how sensitive they are to adjustment.

#6 Clarko

Clarko

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

That makes two of us! I'll take the cover off tomorrow and have a look, thank you. I tried to keep the adjustment nut position when I removed it to restore it, but you need to loosen it right off to get the cable out to remove the engine so it could of been altered.

#7 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

10w40 is the correct grade for the later Ap11 mini auto box,on older boxes with mileage under there belt they struggle with the thicker oil. Also top gear has its own brake band (the wide one of the 3), if its screeching during the change from 3rd to 4th it could be metal on metal ,perhaps its on its way out. Change oil first, make sure its Ma2. When i changed mine it was like driving a different car.

#8 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

If you go on the Automatic mini register, you,ll find everything you need.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users