27 replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

Love my 'pocket rocket' to bits but I am extremely concerned by the lack of road holding in particularly wet weather or when the road surface is wet after rain/fog/mist. Often when I brake just to slow the car, I can feel it sliding! very scary and sometimes quite frightening, Wasn't going fast (I don't drive any faster than 50/60. One day I had to 'fight' the car to keep it from sliding into the grass verge! It's 1996 Mini Mayfair. Do I need to change the Tyres (which are original as far as I know) Are they over-inflated (currently 32 on all four) Please guys! I don't know what to do and the worst of the weather is to come! Don't care if you think I'm an idiot or whatever.

Advice Please!

Jonathan 

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

32 all round is a bit high to be honest. :shades:  I would try 30 front/ 26 rear.

#3 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:46 PM

Have you checked how much tread is on them...? If its on 12" wheels, stick some Yoko A539s on there, great tyres!

Q

#4 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

You say original? Are you really driving round on 20 year old rubber? If so that's obviously the issue..

I replace mine after 6 years regardless of ware

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

28 psi all round, what like is the tread wear across the tyres?

#6 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

32 all round is a bit high to be honest. :shades:  I would try 30 front/ 26 rear.

Thank you! Will reduce 'em tomorrow!

#7 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

Have you checked how much tread is on them...? If its on 12" wheels, stick some Yoko A539s on there, great tyres!

Q

Thank you! and I'll check the tread tomorrow. And thanks to everyone who replies to my posts!

#8 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

You say original? Are you really driving round on 20 year old rubber? If so that's obviously the issue..

Well, only had my baby just over a year. I am assuming they are. Original owner was a lady who used it a shopper. To and from the supermarkets! 

#9 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

Q

Check tomorrow and if need be , replace!

#10 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

Have you had your tracking checked recently?? I used to find my mini needed to have it set perfectly else it wouldn't handle so well.

#11 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

age of rubber is an issue, they de grade and old rubber has less grip, and more noticeable in the wet, i am very happy with my nangkang greensport 165 60 12's and have driven on all of the tyres over the yrs and past months as i fix these little cars and i am very pleased with how they work and dont break the bank either and when fitted at the tyre shop they also come with a puncher repair warranty too

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Well, only had my baby just over a year. I am assuming they are. Original owner was a lady who used it a shopper. To and from the supermarkets! 

The rubber will have degrated and hardened and very likely to be cracked. They are going to be lethal in the damp. Cheap £30 budgets will probably work better. Any tyre over about 7 years old should be considered for replacement ...

#13 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

I use these, really good in the wet....http://www.camskill....:_3_Noise:_72dB

#14 Itsjustanestate

Itsjustanestate

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Get it thoroughly checked over before someone gets injured. It could be a brake is not working or the suspension geometry is causing it to crab. It is certainly not road worthy. 

#15 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

+1 for Nankang, they may be budget ones, but grip in the wet is very good, the Green sport 2 are TUV approved, which I believe is a 1st. for a Chinese manufacturer.

I have the CX668's in 145/70/12, currently £36 fitted with a lifetime puncture guarantee from Tyre Shopper (https://www.tyre-sho...earch/145-70-12), with a standard 1275 carb car they're fine.

Having said that, love A539's, but they don't do them in 145/70/12 & 165's rub the arches when cornering hard !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users