38 replies to this topic

#31 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

I would start by replacing the expansion cap with a GENUINE one. They leak pressure and allow the coolant to boil up.

I have heard that BINI ones are good to use.

#32 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

Hello all  & @Netish - 

2001 MPI here

I've drained the system and replaced thermostat with 82 degrees. 

Any help would be very welcome.

Should be an 88° in an MPi.

#33 Rusty Nut

Rusty Nut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

I’ve replaced the cap with a new one. The 82 is because it’s warmer here in the south if France than in the uk. 
should I stick with the stock? Or maybe run stock in winter?

#34 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

An injected engine runs more efficiently at the higher temperature. Never had any cooling problems here, in London, at 35°+ with an 88° Thermostat.

#35 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

I’ve replaced the cap with a new one. The 82 is because it’s warmer here in the south if France than in the uk. 
should I stick with the stock? Or maybe run stock in winter?

Where did you buy the new one from ? I bought 3 from the little mini shop in France and they all leaked pressure. Ended up buying them from DGMRS in the UK, original and don't leak.

#36 Rusty Nut

Rusty Nut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Ok I’m going back to 88 and fingers crossed that a new temp sender unit works better than mine does now.

I thought 82 might solve my problem but understand that the MPI’s are more efficient if run at the temp they were designed for.

The replacement came from  Minispares.

just a question - did they make the 74 and 82 degree stats for older normally aspirated cars in hotter climates?

#37 Honda-Mini

Honda-Mini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish mini club

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

Ok I’m going back to 88 and fingers crossed that a new temp sender unit works better than mine does now.

I thought 82 might solve my problem but understand that the MPI’s are more efficient if run at the temp they were designed for.

The replacement came from  Minispares.

just a question - did they make the 74 and 82 degree stats for older normally aspirated cars in hotter climates?

Rusty nut...i had the same issues and tried absolutely everything...

changed the cap three times and all were useless it turned out, even though i was convinced it couldn't be that... final straw came when i bought an ACR4 in the end and found one cap was only getting to around 96º before it started to expand and boil over... the next new cap i fitted got to 104º and just started blowing a bit so i stupidly went to tweak it down a touch to stop it and it blew off, scalding my forearm in the process...

luckily i wasn't directly over the coolant tank and had obviously used a large towel for heat, so that saved me really or i reckon id have been hospitalised/blind by now!... Lesson Learned!!

anyhow, i think it was on here someone said get one of these... https://www.ebay.co....S4aArGIEALw_wcB

fitted it (and also changed the expansion tank to and R53 one as mine had ballooned so many times it looked weak and a new one is silly money, whereas an R53 is cheap and same outlets :) ) and not looked back since... 

Change the Cap for a Volvo S60 one and you will be good to go... it is turquoise ish but if you look on the Bay they do come in black to make them a bit less obvious

heres some links to my posts on it

http://www.theminifo...g-on/?p=3620387

http://www.theminifo...expansion-tank/

HTH

Martyn 

Edited by Honda-Mini, 28 September 2020 - 11:00 AM.

#38 Rusty Nut

Rusty Nut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

OK many thanks for that Martyn.

I'll look into it. Daughter has just bought a old R50 and wife has the R56 so should be not too difficult to figure out.

I heard that the R50 bottles can split too - known problem.....but at least they'll be cheap.

I'll report back

thanks again

Rusty

#39 Honda-Mini

Honda-Mini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish mini club

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

OK many thanks for that Martyn.
I'll look into it. Daughter has just bought a old R50 and wife has the R56 so should be not too difficult to figure out.
I heard that the R50 bottles can split too - known problem.....but at least they'll be cheap.

I'll report back
thanks again

Rusty

So, have you had chance to look at it yet? If so how’d you get on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users