#1 Stmini

Stmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

Hi all,

Pretty new to this so sorry if this question is a bit daft :lol: . I have a 998cc engine out of a 1992 Mini Mayfair and i am a bit lost on what size piston rings i need to buy as the it has been honed out. I have took the measurements of the cylinders which are 2.51 inches , 2.52 inches , 2.54 inches and 2.52 inches.  I am lost to weather you can buy just the stock 998 piston rings and whack them on or weather I need to get bigger ones?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

what are you measuring with as you need to go to 4 decimal places in inches to get a proper idea, a bore gauge is really required and you need to measure in more than one place in each bore. you have .030" variation between bores which is not acceptable in any way.

#3 Stmini

Stmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Right okay ill look into getting one of them. And i had used a vernier gauge

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Vernier won't do it as it won't account for the curvature of the cylinders. Needs to be a bore gauge. It isn't as simple as just getting more rings, the cylinders need to be perfectly round, not oval. The measurement after needs to be in tolerance for your Pistons to prevent slap otherwise it will wear out quickly and you'll be digging deep for another engine.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,983 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi all,

Pretty new to this so sorry if this question is a bit daft :lol: . I have a 998cc engine out of a 1992 Mini Mayfair and i am a bit lost on what size piston rings i need to buy as the it has been honed out. I have took the measurements of the cylinders which are 2.51 inches , 2.52 inches , 2.54 inches and 2.52 inches.  I am lost to weather you can buy just the stock 998 piston rings and whack them on or weather I need to get bigger ones?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

standard bore size is 2.543" so your measurement is a bit out but it sounds like you are on standard bore so standard rings for the pistons fitted.

BUT the bores do need checking as above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users