89 replies to this topic

#46 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

So today I spent a while getting my garage straightened up and ready for some work.  I didn't get around to doing much on the car itself, but organized parts that I have that need to go on.  Here are some pics of how the garage looks and my baby looks in it.  I was planning on getting the interior all buttoned up today, but I realized I am awaiting the new choke cable that arrives on Monday.  I did manage to take apart the drivers door card and use it as a template to cut out a new piece so I can remount the vinyl.  One of my wonderful kids stepped on the old door card and totally cracked it to the point it was useless.  Anyway, hopefully the photos work and you can see some of the things I've been up to.  Lastly I am posting a few pictures of the magnets I had for my R56 Cooper S that I so dearly loved.

IMG_0222_zpsqa4bryda.jpg

IMG_0209_zpsobem4dqs.jpg

IMG_0203_zpsn7ygegxl.jpg

IMG_0205_zpsoimxv73h.jpg

#47 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Spec on this (before you started adding shiny bits) looks very similar to mine and similar age. How solid is the shell because the bulkhead behind the master cylinders looks a fetching shade of rust. Just wondering on the choice of going to paint if the wire worm has a foothold?
Love the colour ways you have white shell and black interior and those wheels look awesome. Best of luck with the build I will be following it.

The shell is in fantastic shape as far as I have been able to detect so far.  I found one tiny spot of rust under the passenger side window trim, but other than that nothing concerning.  The rust you talk about on the bulkhead is just surface rust, and will be taken care of, but it is just surface rust.  As far as painting the car goes.  I have decided to hold off on that for a bit, because I want to drive the car.  Once I'm ready I will strip the car down completely and fix any and all areas that are in need.  Looking forward to getting this thing back in running form so I can enjoy it on the road....not just on stands in the garage. LOL.
Wasn't trying to be funny or anything just as you mentioned paint. My shell is similar. Pretty solid but a few areas are concerning so just plan to do it once but not have to repeat in a few years. It's funny because on my shell I wiped some areas that looked terrible and it was surface dirt that had solid paint and metal underneath. Other areas looked solid, but were rotten.

Forgot to say I wish you a speedy conclusion of your project. Looks great so far.

No worries at all.  The area by the master cylinders is the same section I was concerned about when I was looking to purchase this baby.  I bought it sight unseen with pictures and videos.  The guy I bought it from has been amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.  Buying cars sight unseen isn't for the faint at heart that's for sure.  I bought an '89 E30 325i RHD and the thing looked to be in great condition.....until I pulled the carpet and it was riddled with rust.  So I've been burned before, but this seems to be a very solid car.  I'm sure there are some areas I haven't found yet, but overall I am very happy with how solid it is.  As for your comment about dirt looking like rust and rust looking like dirt....I know exactly what you mean.  LOL!

#48 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Gotta give a quick little shout out to my beloved R56.  I know it's not a "real" mini, but it was absolutely one of my favorite cars I've owned.  I've owned a lot of cars including an E90 M3, which was a blast except for the fact I was constantly opening my wallet to feed the monster motor.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

And one pic of the M3.  Then I'll get back on topic.  LOL!

59257_10200840662558141_565993712_n_zpsc

#49 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Don't know how I forgot to add this photo of another fantastic piece by DSN!  And yes the switches aren't in all the way, it was a test fit.  

IMG_0210_zpsuvswxvno.jpg

#50 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

So I got some work done tonight!  Woohoo!  Carpet is officially in, new steering wheel is mounted, my new side view mirror (that I am going to try out), cup holder and a little extra new age surprise.  I'm a huge carbon fiber fan, but to be honest I am debating on if I like it on this classic or not.  Waiting on a few pieces to show up on Monday and the interior will be all buttoned up.  The x-member section where there is no carpet will have a special treatment that you will all have to see later.  ;)

IMG_0231_zpsqfroxazk.jpg

IMG_0229_zpsxqc7iynd.jpg

IMG_0232_zpsncdyf1al.jpg

#51 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Wish I had your garage space. Interested in your trim choices looks good. Door fit with those carbon runners will be critical won't it?

Edited by 73MkIII, 29 September 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#52 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Wish I had your garage space. Interested in your trim choices looks good. Door fit with those carbon runners will be critical won't it?

The carbon runners are nice and thin and I didn't notice any door troubles, but yes door fitment could be an issue.  Forgot to mention I installed a carbon number plate light as well.  But like I said about the carbon....I'm not totally sold on the look for the classic.

The funny thing about the garage space is I wish it was bigger.  Eventually I'd like to put a 4 post lift in mainly for storage of the mini, and I'm still looking to get my hands on a welder to learn that art skill. 

Edited by MasterD78, 29 September 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#53 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I am envious

#54 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

I am envious

I've looked through your build thread and you have a nice and tidy garage.  I also see a welder in there.  My garage was the first update to our home we did.  When we bought the home it had a carport and a single garage that when it was raining I swear would collect water and dump it into the garage.  So I built this garage, and I wish I would've gone larger.  But the kids need somewhere to play that isn't in "my space."  LOL.

#55 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

Well today I got a few things finished, and some half finished.  Can I just say that I don't drink alcohol, and this car makes me want to start!   :lol:

But any progress is good progress as long as it's in the right direction.  I'll probably post pics of the progress tomorrow.

#56 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

Just a small update, and one small project finished on the interior.  This bad boy will eventually be an mellow advertising piece for my business.  Nothing like a vinyl wrap and in your face graphics.  But tasteful (in my opinion) conversation pieces.  This is one of those pieces that I'm talking about.  Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I think it turned out fantastic!  It's a mix of inspirational quotes with some of my products intermingled in the mix.

thumbnail_IMG_0459_zpsqrtkkxzf.jpg

Edited by MasterD78, 27 October 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#57 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Interior is about 90% done!  I've still got door pulls to put on, and a few other little touches.  But I think it looks great.  Now on to buttoning up the mechanicals.

IMG_0479_zpsho0litgx.jpg

IMG_0480_zpsmzrrcnje.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsdhrd0r0k.jpg

#58 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

That interior looks really nice! If you don't mind me asking, what is the metal bracket that's bolted to the floor just behind the gear selector? 

#59 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

That interior looks really nice! If you don't mind me asking, what is the metal bracket that's bolted to the floor just behind the gear selector? 

Thanks!  Here is the link to the cupholder.  I'm on the fence about it honestly.  I don't drink cans of soda and that is about all it could hold with the seat where it is.  Also, it prevents the passenger seat from flipping forward all the way to allow entry into the rear.  So....I will see once I get the car out and about if I want to keep it or not.

#60 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

I've only just twigged this is right hand drive.

That will be fun for you in a tiny car in amongst the average oversized American cars.....

time for that roll cage  O_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users