#1 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I am on the verge of purchasing my first classic mini after wanting one for a long time, it is a 2000 Rover Mini Sport 1.3 MPI that has covered 72000 miles. I have done some research and reviewed the MOT history which includes a few fails followed closely by passes indicating that the noted work has been carried out.

The main question that I have concerns the body work,  a lot of reasons for MOT failure is down to corrosion on sub frame, chassis, suspension etc. I know that rust is the main issue here, is it better for these things to have corroded and been replaced or does this indicate that the car hasn't been looked after properly?

The car was MOT's in March this year and there were various ball joint issues but that doesn't concern me, what does concern me is "Nearside and Offside seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded floor holed". The seller has advised that this has been welded, is that a good thing and is this just a common problem and nothing to worry about?

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated and might prevent me from making a big mistake here.

Thanks

Murray

#2 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

First dont confuse sport with "S". Sport would probably mean "sports pack". Basicly big arches and wheels that some think look good but spoil the handling of the car.
A "sports pack" does NOT make it an S. An S will have engine upgrades and is a different thing altogether.

All the problems you mention are very common... its how they have been fixed that matters. If its just by patching then avoid like the plague

Edited by THE ANORAK, 18 May 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#3 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for your reply. It is a cooper sport. The corroded belt anchorage spots picked up in March this year, the owner was told by the garage it was 2 spots of welding needed and this was carried out then the MOT passed. Does that sound like the correct solution?

I will ask further questions but he has stated that the following bodywork has recently been carried out in the last 18 months:

Parts replaced:

Rear Subframe

Rear subframe mounting panel

Rear subframe corner segments

LH and RH sills

Drivers door A post

Drivers Door skin LF and RH

Boot Floor

Boot Lid and Hinges

He says the bodywork is now solid and that after all parts replaced, it was resprayed.

#4 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

Could be good, could be a patch work quilt. Have a look underneath and see how it is. If its lots of little patches I'd back away. If its nice clean joints and well painted could well be a keeper.

#5 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thank you. The guy is very forthcoming with information. There was a lot of rust and the garage apparently advised just fitting the 2 LH and RH side repair panels over the top to mount to the sub frame but they replaced the full length panel with a genuine one instead. Same for boot floor and they then fitted both sides with the 9" extended oversills. They spent 6 months on it and resprayed it because of all the work. It is a cracking metal green colour, very nice.

The car was off the road for 18 months after it failed an MOT in 2014, this was for repairs etc.

I have a mechanic friend that will be coming with me to view so will pay close attention to the joints/panels etc and try to look for any patches.

I really appreciate the help as am desperate to own one of these cars but need to avoid letting the heart rule the head as I don't have thousands to throw away on immediate repairs.

The car has had lots of work done but all done by the current owner with his Grandad who was a mechanic. Should that be worrying or could it be a positive? The owner loves it and has spent a lot of time and money on it but has now bought a campervan and needs to free up some money to start work on that.

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Ideally you could do with seeing before and after photographs. Ask if they have any, that way you'll be able to see the competency of the repair. If they have, ask for copies and post them on here. If they haven't, take some yourself and post them on here.

#7 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Thanks, I will ask for before pictures and see what he says. This is the current advert:

http://www.autotrade...isc&fromSA=true

#8 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, I will ask for before pictures and see what he says. This is the current advert:

http://www.autotrade...isc&fromSA=true

Unfortunately, not surprisingly its just showing the clean bodywork, you need the money shots, pictures of the structural parts.

#9 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Can you advise which parts I need to play close attention to? Although I am taking a mechanic with me, he won't know what needs particular attention on this type of car.

If all is in good condition, does this represent good value?

#10 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thank you. The guy is very forthcoming with information. There was a lot of rust and the garage apparently advised just fitting the 2 LH and RH side repair panels over the top to mount to the sub frame but they replaced the full length panel with a genuine one instead. Same for boot floor and they then fitted both sides with the 9" extended oversills. They spent 6 months on it and resprayed it because of all the work. It is a cracking metal green colour, very nice.

The car was off the road for 18 months after it failed an MOT in 2014, this was for repairs etc.

I have a mechanic friend that will be coming with me to view so will pay close attention to the joints/panels etc and try to look for any patches.

I really appreciate the help as am desperate to own one of these cars but need to avoid letting the heart rule the head as I don't have thousands to throw away on immediate repairs.

The car has had lots of work done but all done by the current owner with his Grandad who was a mechanic. Should that be worrying or could it be a positive? The owner loves it and has spent a lot of time and money on it but has now bought a campervan and needs to free up some money to start work on that.

9"  Oversills ? May I suggest you read up on the problems that they can cause.

http://www.theminifo...-to-avoid-them/

#11 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

"Same for boot floor and they then fitted both sides with the 9" extended oversills."

Id start with that... Even if well done, it WILL rust quicker than 'standard' sills.
Have a look on the joins between panels and around the windscreen, although if painted recently it won't show much.
Maybe look in the boot corners?

Ben

#12 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thank you both, that is worrying. Not being mechanically minded, which exact part is the sill? Where do I need to look and would these need to be removed to prevent future rusting? Is this a job worth doing or could this have compromised the structure of the car. The seller did say that the car was solid for a good few MOT's now but I want a car for longer than a few MOT's.

#13 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

If you really know that little about minis then maybe you should learn more before you start to look. Yes its a sportspack... you would get better handling with a standard 12inch wheeled mini. Dont think the latter ones will have less rust... actually the opposite is usually true.
As for that car... oversills, if the repairs involved oversills i would be questioning the quality of the work.

#14 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

I take all that on board and will likely leave this one be. Maybe attaining a cooper is an unrealistic dream just now

#15 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

It does look nice tho, maybe at least have a look at it and train your eye on what to spot? Most places to look at are underneath so don't wear white clothes! 😝

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users