60 replies to this topic

#31 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

It seems too cheap for me and just looking at the pictures the paintwork doesn't look fantastic.My advice would be to go and have a look with your mechanic and get some knowledge of what to look for.Don't rush into buying something because it looks pretty

Far better in my experience to buy something that needs work,then fix it when you can.Least you know when its fixed,its done properly and not bodged 

#32 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

The point about oversills is that they are very much weaker, and less stiff (not the same thing, but both strength and stiffness matter) because the welds at the lower edge are nowhere near where they should be to form a proper box section. Strictly speaking they are a MOT failure, but few MOT testers understand the significance. They should understand the rules about panel replacement, but few do. (Yet recently someone had MOT aggro because of a seam weld instead of a line of spots, which is stronger.)

Basically what you were told proves that the previous repairer was manifestly incompetent as regards ability to do structural repairs correctly.

That car is not for the inexperienced. There will be a better one.

#33 jonjosar

jonjosar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Another tip is to use the MOT History checker. Stick in the reg and make and you can check the most of the MOT history.

EG, pass or a fail list. I've looked at quite a few online and the fail list over the past few years gives you a good list of what to look for on the individual car. So if for example, the tester lists failure due to rust at subframe mountings in boot, have a good poke around to see if its been fixed properly or bodged. Same for any other faults.

#34 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Thanks.
Yes I have already looked through the MOT history and lots or corrosion issues which I think led to all the replacement parts, it looks like he damaged sections were replaced but will need to have he mechanic inspect it very closely.
There are very few available in Scotland but need to avoid making a rash purchase

#35 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Wingnut - you think this should be more expensive with the work that has been carried out? Do you think that would suggest issues?

#36 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Wingnut - you think this should be more expensive with the work that has been carried out? Do you think that would suggest issues?

I personally think from looking on ebay/autotrader, you could probably pick up a more solid car for the same even possibly less money,

ebay seems to average about 3-5k for a rover cooper, 

I would be very wary if its a patchwork quilt, however solid it is, chances are they have welded a patch over exisitng rust, a proper repair, i.e cutting out all of the rust, isn't that much harder than doing a bodge patch,

#37 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Would you say an Austin mini is a better more solid car?

#38 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

#39 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

The later Rover cars had little of no factory rust protection so they look good on the outside but the un-repaired ones are normally a money pit if you haven't got the skill sets to repair one yourself. Of the others you'll either find a basket case or one that's been repaired and its the quality of the repair that will determine its desirability. I think you're starting to understand owning one of these does require a large degree of dedication, skills, money and The Mini Forum.

#40 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

This forum is invaluable, thanks for all the advice. I will still view this rover mini but will need to be 100% sure about it before progressing and I will be far happier walking away if needs be. I now know more about what to look for and am more determined to own a classic mini, whenever the right one becomes available

#41 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

This forum is invaluable, thanks for all the advice. I will still view this rover mini but will need to be 100% sure about it before progressing and I will be far happier walking away if needs be. I now know more about what to look for and am more determined to own a classic mini, whenever the right one becomes available

You need to view it but look at it with a critical eye. You need to view it with a mind to pull it to bits rather than sell it to yourself. Just a few thoughts, look at the seams especially the very first signs of rust just starting to bubble and look round the screen rubbers, Stand back from it and look for slight discolouration of the paintwork to give you an idea if an areas been blown in to hide a cheap repair. Look in the boot for problems with the floor and the door where the skins return along the bottom edge.

#42 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Thanks northern power. I will look very critically and take photos, my mechanic friend now knows what to look for thanks to your advice and that of the others that have been kind enough to post.
My concern is that with so few in Scotland I can't take my mate down south if I find one I like so I need to be able to suss out problems myself too

#43 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

90% of all minis were made in the same factory by the same people. The name of the company changed but the production line did not. An austin mini would have been made in the same place as a leyland mini or an austin rover mini or a rover mini. What changed was quality and quality control. Its common practice to avoid price rises by cutting costs.

Most minis were made at longbridge in Brum. The exceptions to this are the early minis back in the 60s (mk1 and mk2) where production was split between the austin longbride factory and the morris cowley factory. Also some minis were made in other countries, but not many. Dont get too hung up on the manufacturer's name :-)

Edited by THE ANORAK, 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#44 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Thank you. What would your thoughts be on a Japanese import?

#45 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

Made in brum and exported with air con fitted. Tend to be looked after better but im not expert on export cars.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users