60 replies to this topic

#16 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, I have been speaking to my mechanic friend who has warned that oversills are used to cover corroded areas instead of replacing them. He is will take a close look and I have also asked the seller why they were used

#17 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

I think it's important to realise that when you buy a Mini, you're more 'taking it on' rather than buying an appliance.  They can and do make great everyday cars but you'll always, without exception, be fighting back the rust.  They need serious looking after and are an enthusiast's car in that respect.

When these cars were current, they were built to last a few years.  In that time, they'd give good reliable service but be ready for serious remedial work at, oh, 7yrs old?

With that in mind, I'd expect any Mini that has lived a life to have either had major welding and panel replacement, or in need of it now.  The car you describe sounds fair enough- sort of like an every day car.  I would buy it for the 'right' money (I've not viewed the ad!) and remember to budget for ongoing repairs.

I realise all this sounds quite taxing but owning a Mini and maintaining a Mini is a really satisfying experience; you'll fall in love with it for sure and that's before you look at all the amazing tuning and modifications possible.

Go for it, buy the car you want, but keep both eyes wide open and you'll be fine  :mrcool:

#18 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

bodged up lemon at good money wouldn't touch it. Have a look in the forum classifieds better and cheaper cars come up regularly

#19 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Boycie - thanks for the response. I am desperate to own a classic cooper and won't rush into it. I am expecting years of fun but also a lot of time and effort in upkeep.

Dyshipfakta - is there anything in particular that would make you say that

#20 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Coopers are attainable.... you just need to find the right one. Good news is there are loads out there.

#21 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Where are the best places to look, I have checked auto trader and pistonheads. Are there any other sites worth viewing?

#22 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

I asked the owner about the sills and he sent the following response:

"The original sills had were holed so they cut out back to the lower door frame then new 9" oversills put on. They were recommended over the original smaller sills to add strength. That's honestly all I can really tell you"

Would this ease any concerns or merely add to them?

#23 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

I asked the owner about the sills and he sent the following response:

"The original sills had were holed so they cut out back to the lower door frame then new 9" oversills put on. They were recommended over the original smaller sills to add strength. That's honestly all I can really tell you"

Would this ease any concerns or merely add to them?

Cheap repair. Its been bodged to get it through the mot. The only way to repair is to remove the original and replace it with the same. If you'd read the thread regarding oversills you'd see these were a work round to get older Mini's through the mot when the classic Mini wasn't so sort after. If you want value in a Mini now you need the correct original specification sills fitted.

#24 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Oversills and will probably have dodgy inner sills or patch repairs on the inside and a nice thick coat of mot in a can

#25 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Oversills and will probably have dodgy inner sills or patch repairs on the inside and a nice thick coat of mot in a can

And therefore not as structurally sound. 

#26 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Thank you both, I did read the thread about oversills so have an understanding now. This now concerns me and I will ask the mechanic to take a very close look. I can't afford to buy a car that is going to cause all sorts of problems so appreciate all the good advice

#27 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Is it possible to replace oversills with originals? What would the ball park cost be and is it likely that the damage will have been done here?

#28 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Is it possible to replace oversills with originals? What would the ball park cost be and is it likely that the damage will have been done here?

Yes it is possible to replace them with no long term damage, they normally just cover up the rotten original sills. The thing to take from fitting oversills is, if oversills have been fitted what else has be scrimped? They could be just the tip of the iceberg so be prepared for other areas of work and associated cost.

#29 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

800 quid minimum if you can't do it yourself will likely need to see paint too

#30 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure the mechanic thoroughly checks the sills and other structural work, if it doesn't look right I will unfortunately have to walk away

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users