#16 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

how much of a performance drop is the k series and what is the price drop ?

to be honest i havent got a clue about K conversions, 1.4 is about 100bhp i think? Pick up an engine for about £200-300. Best bet is to have a look in the rover section on 16vminiclub, and the gallerys for ideas and whats involved because you'll probably be looking to do it yourself if you want to have it done for £2k

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

To be honest I'd be very surprised if you found an insurance company that will insure you as a named driver, even on your dads policy, with such a modified car.

#18 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

best bet would be to build a 1.4 / 1.6 8v vauxhall conversion .. you should be able to do that for around 2500 if you kept the budget really tight !

it would fit in a std round nose easily , give you a 5 speed box with good gearing , and a 100bhp.

then upgrade to a 16v motor on ITB's later on in life 160bhp +
(keeps the same subframe)

Matt

#19 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

I would have said the Vauxhall engine would be the cheapest and probably easiest too. Having played around with one (Mninis84) and been in it, they are more than quick enough for a 17 year old with around 115bhp, but to stay within your budget you would have to do the work yourself!

#20 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

K-series is a good conversion, there's a guy inan ornage clubby with twin lamps who runs a 1.4 K series and it looks very impressive, It's a nice spritely engine, quiet, good MPG.

#21 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

I have been loking in to this for a while i have a 1.8 out if a cavalier which is running pretty fine, the car failed on body work and my best mate gave me it. I thought subframes were atround the 500-600 mark but i was told i was wrong.

If i was to do this conversion i already have the engine and 5speed geer box right? then the most exspensive part after that would be the front subframe?

I will also be doing all the work myself.

#22 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

Anyone seriously looking at doing a conversion, go on to 16V Mini Club, and read the stickys they have there. If your under 20 years old then phone around and see if you can get insurance first. No point budgeting for a project your can't get insured on.

#23 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

I would like to do the work myself but apart from grinding the front end of does this require allot of welding? can it be done withought?
also does the subframe bolt on ? i have no real idea is there a good in depth convetion i could read? (link please)

#24 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

Best bet is to go on 16V Mini Club and look at other peoples projects that they've done and that way you can see for yourself what has had to have been done and whether you think, with your skills you can carry out a conversion.

Firstly though, I really would check with your insurance.

#25 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Best bet is to go on 16V Mini Club and look at other peoples projects that they've done and that way you can see for yourself what has had to have been done and whether you think, with your skills you can carry out a conversion.

Firstly though, I really would check with your insurance.

I should check my insurance really but being 16 i cant, and i cant get an insurance quote online for one lol

:dontgetit:

#26 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

can some one just thell me a list of the parts required and the tools required and that should give me the idea , insurance is not too much of a worry but haveing a reliable mini is !

Current lists

Car: Engine (£500) ,Subframe and 3 engine mnt brackets. £495.00 from alspeed, Carbon composite flip front (£250)

Tools: Grinding disk, spanners ?

Do i neeed to buy engine crane ?

Edited by Sutty01, 22 September 2006 - 08:40 PM.

#27 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

The Kit from Allspeed inc bottom arms and tie rods and everything else. You are looking at around £1500 then you need the inverted manifold and bent radiator then there’s piping, Speedo and clocks. You could probably get an engine cheaper but then you need the TD box . Get looking on http://www.16vminiclub.com/ and search. You will find all of your answers. If you are serious Google Allspeed and ring them up. They will give you the most realistic price out of anyone!

Edited by Flappyplasticbits, 22 September 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#28 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Okay im still building info but this project will become more lightly soon as i have decided to go 1.6 honda power using a b16b2

ive priced up the following but im trying to work out my total cost (i know it will go up later on)

Filpfront £250 -300
Engine £500-600
gearbox (included with engine)
driveshafts £400
Allspeed frame £600
front wiring loom £ 30 ?
ECU £ 30 ?
gear linkage £ ?

Are there any part ive missed ?

Allso ive read a lot of topics since my last post but are there any picture guides to fitting a flip - front ?

Also i will be carrying the work out myself

#29 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

re-stress that trying to find a donor honda car would be allot better , as you wont be paying extra for ecu . loom , gearlinkage , fuel pump etc ...

spend your 600 quid engine budget on a whole car !

Matt

#30 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

re-stress that trying to find a donor honda car would be allot better , as you wont be paying extra for ecu . loom , gearlinkage , fuel pump etc ...

spend your 600 quid engine budget on a whole car !

Matt

Wise words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users