102 replies to this topic

#61 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

Looking good, mine is same spec as yours. Been off the road since road trip to Italy in 2013. Get it back end of the week, having had a few things done. Can't wait!

#62 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

Looking good, mine is same spec as yours. Been off the road since road trip to Italy in 2013. Get it back end of the week, having had a few things done. Can't wait!

I love the tartan seats and I think the metallic grey really sets it off, different from the usual colours.

I hope you get some pictures up for motivation for myself!

Edited by rossul.burn, 23 July 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#63 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

Don't know about motivation! Going down to 10's, centre speedo (Hopefully), new clutch, exhaust etc etc.

#64 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Don't know about motivation! Going down to 10's, centre speedo (Hopefully), new clutch, exhaust etc etc.

Anything motivation for me right now. I don't have a deadline as such for this so I don't have much drive to get on with it.

10s will look good. I've got some exactons that I refurbed to go on, but in the five years it will probably take me I will have changed my mind!

What exhaust you going for? Before I took it off the road I fit a single box rc40 on. Sounds good but never actually drive with it

#65 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, went for single RC40 box. Can't wait to drive it again, it will be like having a new car it's been so long! ?

#66 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, went for single RC40 box. Can't wait to drive it again, it will be like having a new car it's been so long! ?

I wish I got the millennium? be, the one with the rolled tip?

I bet you cannot. So how far is it off being all finished?

#67 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

Well I turned up at the garage on Monday, engine in one corner, front subframe in another, rest of Minyin in another ? All good though, as it's in great hands. And they know I need it back by Monday latest, as doing the NC500 next week!

#68 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

Well I turned up at the garage on Monday, engine in one corner, front subframe in another, rest of Minyin in another All good though, as it's in great hands. And they know I need it back by Monday latest, as doing the NC500 next week!

you will have to get some pictures up! My parents always go to Uist and Islay and it always looks so beautiful  

#69 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

This is going to take me even longer than expected if i carry on at this rate. Got the passenger door off yesterday, 3 out of 4 of the hinge bolts sheared, are these easy to fix?

Found some surface rust on the A panel stiffener on the drivers door but it doesnt look too bad.

Rt7g0Hil.jpg                               CjQYbUrl.jpg

Im going to try and get the interior stripped out today but the F1 is on so no doubt I will be watching that instead

#70 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Im going to try and get the interior stripped out today but the F1 is on so no doubt I will be watching that instead

I work for F1 so I'll be watching it too! (I do the news edits from the base in Biggin Hill)

#71 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

I work for F1 so I'll be watching it too! (I do the news edits from the base in Biggin Hill)

Could be a comfortable race for mercedes but anything can happen. My neighbours dad works for Williams in the factory. Never thought I would know someone who works in F1 let alone 2!!

I did get the seats out of the mini during the track walk. I also found out that you can adjust the front seats, the PO said you couldn't!

#72 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

When Verstappen went out I had the clean feed on and you can clearly hear someone in the Red Bull garage say "What a piece of ****"

#73 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

When Verstappen went out I had the clean feed on and you can clearly hear someone in the Red Bull garage say "What a piece of ****"

It doesn't surprise me. There is the unedited feed with max kicking off, and most people thought red bull were daft for going with honda! Let's see what happens next year

Edited by rossul.burn, 29 July 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#74 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

I managed to get some more of the interior pulled out night. I found the rust that I knew would be there but also so more that I wasnt expecting, not sure why I wasnt expecting it being a SPI mini!!

Any here comes so pictures that everyone has seen before but it all adds to the story. Also any guidance on what repairs I should carry out would greatly appreciate, i.e how far to go.

Nq384Lol.jpg

WBfNblXl.jpg        1POnGeUl.jpg

Well that escalated quickly!

bWoXr4Nl.jpgWbi6y9Gl.jpg

Front footwells are all dented, I think someone has jacked it up on the floor pan at some point. Full of holes and patches. Is it easier to just get a new full floor considering what the sills look like?

Companion bins dont look too good either, but thankfully the bottom of them has rusted just the floor section

c7ZcHsnl.jpgbxrjzlnl.jpg

Hole in the rear arch liner on passanger side

KuDhQGol.jpg

Drivers side is just surface rust, from the cabin anyway. The screw driver would not go through it Nq384Lol.jpg

What shall I do about the windscreen surround, found two rust patches here

Amefno7l.jpgtzRwvp1l.jpg

ehU165hl.jpg1dtstTTl.jpg

#75 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Had a little bit more time on the car whilst the better half was on night shifts.

I got the last few bits out the interior. I removed the heater and was happy to see the coolant was still nice and fresh after about 20 coolant flushes, there is a little bit furring but this should clean out.

I also started the task I was dreading, the electrics. I've took loads of pictures, labelled everything up, noticed a few areas of concern but that will get fixed in time. However there was 2 wires behind the 

instrument panel that were not connected to anything, my guess is it is something to do with a 3 binnacle? Thought I had a pic but doesnt look like it. They were black, and white and black.

I have most of the loom out now but need to follow the loom that goes in the headliner and disconnect those last few things, couldnt get in the boot with where the car was.

Is there any advice on how to get the main loom disconnected from the engine bay, am I best of waiting till the engine is out and everything is disconnect?

Im going to have a tidy up and put some of the stuff in boxes tonight then I will drill out the sheer bolts, drop the headlining then move into the boot. Ive been reading that its best of using a siphon or pump to drain the fuel out the tank, is that necessary or can I do it some other way??

After that I was going to remove the sound deadening but a new floor is going in so why waste my time. Then after that its engine out and start on suspension and brakes!!! Happy days

sg8YnTql.jpg?1  2COLCN2l.jpg?1

bFnKzr7l.jpg?1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users