21 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie

Sophie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

I'm new hear and have looked around and haven't found my problem but i appologise if it has already been mentioned.

Ok down to business. I have a neon 998cc and my major problem is that it doesn't work in the rain. ok so mybe I can get it started but it will just stop going no power what so ever (which has been dangerous on a couple of occassions). I was told that is to do with the eectrics of the engine running around the front of the engine and that is why. I know there is a plastic flap in front to supposedly keep it dry but it doesn't work in my case. It's now september and rain has started so I really need to do something soon otherwise my car will not be driven for a while.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about cars especially technical stuff.

#2 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

i would say leaking dizzy?!?!? but dont quote me on that. your best bet is have a look at alll the conectors along the front of the engine, make shure all the wires are intact!?

firs question i should ask is do u have a haynes manual? (haynes book of lies)

#3 cardboard

cardboard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

as far as i know thats where the problems with the rain occur around the dizzy from the rain your best bet is to try and seal all this off the coil etc and drive it when its raining and see if it still has a problem if it does then the rain could be getting under the bonnent another way and shorting something else

if it works make a more permenant cover

#4 Sophie

Sophie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

thanks for the help guys but your going to think i'm really thick what is a dizzy? and i'm afraid i dont have a haynes manual?

Edited by Sophie, 22 September 2006 - 01:52 PM.

#5 minipip

minipip

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

the distrabutior (bad spelling) at the front of ur engine bay theres a plastic cap with 5 rubber leads (HT leads) coming out of it, basicly what u want to do its take that plastc cap off, its ither held on with one screw, or 2 clips, one ither side, yours shoud be held on with the clips, un clip them and the plastic cap with come off, just wiggle it out of the engine bay, trying not to unplug any of the HT leads.
on the inside of the cap, what ur looking for is moisture, if its damp/wet in there, then it all needs drying off, anothher thing you need to look for is any cracks in it, if it is cracked it needs replacing.
next, there sould be 4 metal bits round the cap on the inside!?!? check and see if they look burnt or worn?! if they are burnt or worn, needs replacing.

next is the rotar arm!
where u have just removed the cap from there should be a bit of plastic in the center with a bit of metal on it, that just pulls off, that is your rotor arm, exactly the same prosedure for the metal bit on that as it was with the metal points on the cap. looks burnt or worn needs replacing.

replace the rotor arm, it only sits one way properly, if u look inside the rotor arm theres a notch in there, then look on where u removed it form theres an extra bit, line them up pop it back on and thts ready, then for the dizzy cap, it should go back on exactly the same was as it came off it will only fit properly one way, clip it back on.

come back to us if it needs replacing, bit if u do needto replace it then i recomend when ur buying the new cap to buy a hanynes with it, explains this sort of thing in the book.....

hope that has helped

Edited by minipip, 22 September 2006 - 02:02 PM.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

When was the last time your car had a service? Might be worth doing this before the winter, make sure the rotor arm, points, HT leads, spark plugs are changed (a very basic service should change the oil, oil filter and water/coolant mix in the radiator as well).

Next, find yourself a pair of rubber clothes, like those used in a hospital for operating. cut the ends off the fingers. You need to place one over the distributor, with the HT leads coming out the fingers, and put the other glove over the coil, again with the wires coming out the fingers. Make sure you get the right wires back in the same place they came from.

Alternatively, swap to electronic ignition and forget about troubles in the rain! Will cost upwards of £80 though.

#7 Sophie

Sophie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

WOW thanks for that i will go have a look and let you know how i get on, it may take a while.

#8 minipip

minipip

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

Next, find yourself a pair of rubber clothes, like those used in a hospital for operating. cut the ends off the fingers. You need to place one over the distributor, with the HT leads coming out the fingers, and put the other glove over the coil, again with the wires coming out the fingers. Make sure you get the right wires back in the same place they came from.

dont mean to be an arse but we always say about using rubber gloves over the dizzy and that, but who is hell actually does it? we all recomend it but never doit!?!?!?! :dontgetit:

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

I know there is a plastic flap in front to supposedly keep it dry but it doesn't work in my case.

I take it the large ignition sheild is in place then? It's the black plastic shield that covers the front of the engine and is held in place via brackets attached to the rocker cover.

If it is fitted and your still having problems in the wet, then it's time to get the electrics sorted and you should replace the dizzy (distributor) cap, rotor arm, points (if fitted & I believe they are on your model), condensor, also fit new HT Leads and of course spark plugs (NGK are one of the best).

And then see how it goes! :D

Anyway this brilliant book is worth having because it clearly tells you how to carry out lots of tasks on your Mini, but it's worth getting a Haynes Mini Manual too. :dontgetit:

Posted Image

Oh and it's available new from here:-

Mini Repair Manual

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

dont mean to be an arse but we always say about using rubber gloves over the dizzy and that, but who is hell actually does it? we all recomend it but never doit!?!?!?! :D

Yea, I keep getting rubber gloves, but they erm, always end up getting, erm, used for other things... :dontgetit:

#11 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

dont mean to be an arse but we always say about using rubber gloves over the dizzy and that, but who is hell actually does it? we all recomend it but never doit!?!?!?! :dontgetit:
[/quote]

I did. And it works.... Went to Woolies and got silver ones.

Couldn't put a pink one on - I'm a bloke LOL

Matt

#12 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

I just bought a new dizzy :dontgetit:

Try everything that has been mentioned. The problem is most likely due to water getting in through the Radiator grill(is that what its called?), I found I had less problems when the protective cover was off for some reason :D

Edited by tino, 22 September 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#13 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

I tried the rubber glove trick once on my sisters Mini, but the glove perished and fell apart because of the heat from the engine, so just make sure your electrics are healthy and renewed when necessary and your ignition sheild is in place and you shouldn't have any problems then. :dontgetit:

Edited by taffy1967, 22 September 2006 - 02:52 PM.

#14 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Meh, Marigolds are far more resiliant to heat. I used to use a nice bright yellow one, worked a treat, It made the differnce of me having to get the bus, and driving to work in the rain!

But then I'm converting to leccy ignition when my new engine is put in so no probs lol. Managed to get a Brand new lumenition kit for £40... much better than £80!

P.S.> i used to carefully put a blob of loctite window sealer (black stuff for cars) round the actual dizzy where the caps sits, when it's dry, you can clamp the dizzy cap down and it squashes round the cap... nice rubbery water tight seal.

but Marigold gets my vote everytime!

Edited by Retro_10s, 22 September 2006 - 03:10 PM.

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

i don't get it. i've never had any troble in the rain or cold. El gordo starts fine.

althought that cold be the liter or so of engine oil on everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users