477 replies to this topic

#106 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

did a little bit more today, not much as didnt have much time. Took all paint off the inner wing, cut a bit more out of the scuttle, looks a little bit scabbly, even though i repaired it, thinking of getting a whole new piece. But will see

added some rust killer

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

leave it till Thursday now, wont be in the garage even though my new welder will be here tomorrow....

#107 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

did a bit more today, the hydrate 80, do you rub it down, remove it, or what before you prime the panel?

Got my new welder, its this one https://www.ebay.co....353.m2749.l2649 majorly impressed with it, recommend it anyone, was using 0,6mm wire and c02, also recommend the c02.

Welded the "post bit" in, welder was realyl good at filling the gaps in, really happy with it..

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

tried the door on and it fitted really well.. Going to do the post next, and i have left the bottom part where the floor is as ill do that all in one go. Need to get a cross member repair panel ordered and get that welded in too.

So, in the rear bin, there is a little panel that links the inner sill, to the subframe mount. Can i weld this on now, and get to the spot welds to drill it off the subframe mount? I need to replace the the subframe mount on both sides i think. It would be nice as i could put the new rear bin in now.

IMG_2914.JPG

Also need to repair above the subframe mount... This car is "funny" when i looked at it i never thought there would be so much rust in it, this isnt a bad car by any means, but its just surprised me.

Edited by Avtovaz, 03 November 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#108 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

bit more done, the new welder defo is making life a lot easier. Really glad i got it .

Cut the door post out, and fitted a magnum one, the fit at the bottom was nothing like the magnum kick plate! So i flattened it all out and rebent it up in the vice, turned out not too bad, should look ok with a tiny amount of filler on it.

IMG_2915.JPG

look at the differenceIMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

!

#109 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

did  a bit more today, finished welding up the floor to bulkhead, and started to cut the rear bin out.

IMG_2922.JPG

welds want tidying up now

IMG_2923.JPG

cut some of the crossmember out so i could get to the floor and also it was rotten on the end and needed replacing anyway

IMG_2924.JPG

my plan was to get a new crossmember but to put something there in its place just until i get the other side done, then take it out in one go. SO i made a temporary repair panel off the old piece i cut out...

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

didnt quite get that angle right, but it was a guess from teh old piece i just used as a template. I made that in teh vice using panel hammers, chisel, dollys, and sharpies ! Could make it right but ill just tack it in for now so the car is stronger again, then all out when the other side is done...

#110 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

wasnt planning on doing much on teh mini this weekend, but!

pushed it out and brushed out the garage.

IMG_2935.JPG

then cut the roof off... Brother looking on!

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

Car is all cut up into place, roof is 70% there, but noticed i should have braced the shell really, but can sort that i think ok. Not lookign forward to doing this job at all!

#111 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Dont forget to stagger your joins.

#112 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:04 PM

Dont forget to stagger your joins.

On the back posts, ive cut it half way down the pillar, 2-3" down that strengthener so that will reinforce the joint, front ive cut managed to keep the original boxing in plate! then the new outer that goes down to the scuttle, and ill join that to a new scuttle, then the 3rd face will but up to the door post repair panel ive fitted. center post will be the original inner part, all the way up to what looks like a  mig weld, and outer joined 2-3" above the seat belt bolt.

Not sure im doing it 100% right, but will see! I know the car has sagged in the middle, will have to jack it up a bit, tac everything on, then test everything.

thanks for looking ben! 

Edited by Avtovaz, 10 November 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#113 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:28 PM

went shopping to our local tescos yesterday, and look who i saw!

IMG_2940.JPG

Still going well, folowed ian for a bit, and its amazing how well the van handles, ian wasnt pushing it around corners, but it was just flying!

Anyway

So, pics of today

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

so, before cutting the old roof off i measured around each window, top to bottom in 3 places, wrote the measurement on the car, and cut the roof off. Then when i put the new roof back on i had a good indicator of how the roof should fit. I cut the front posts right at the bottom so i can put a scuttle on it, rather than having 2 joint on the front posts. Inner boxing in plates where off the original car. Centre posts, ive a bit of a  gap to sort out as i cut a bit too much out, but not a major problem. rear was the easiest , staggered that over the inner strengthener, should be strong. When i tacked the centre posts in, i had to put a jack in the middle of the car to take out the sag. Doors fit well, a bit too close at the back but thats the post ive put in i think, can sort that with my slide hammer later.

I found also that using the saw blade made a massive difference, tacked a few bits up, checked with the blade, and they where not right, so cut the tacks, and it makes for quite an accurate job. Bit worried that ill be impatient welding bits up and ill distort the panels. Will maybe get a bit done tomorrow but not sure yet...

#114 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:51 AM

Brave man, but excellent job mate.. looks to be a nice fit.

#115 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

not perfect yet, but its getting there, will do a  bit more tomorrow!

really worried about this as any mistake and its so obvious, but will see

#116 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

little bit more tonight

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

so im happy with the front post, car will get a full scuttle, so if there is any evidence of panel replacement on the front itll look liek the scuttle join. Im hoping you wont see anything though ofcause.

Now,  seem to be finding that i tack everything up, say 1" apart and then when i weld it, its pulling in or missaligning then, and the worst part is when i come to sand teh welds back i take metal from around the welds, not the welds them selves as tehy are concave. So i ve been using the edge of a cutting disc to get in then polishing with the strip and clean wheel.

Can someone do please a repair and show exactly what they have done, how long they took, how many spots, how they cooled the metal down, as i am not getting stuff 100% right and i look at other projects and some of the welds you just cant tell at all...

I am doing a bit then cooling it down with compressed air.

thanks

#117 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

not had chance to do much atm, wont be doing much now for a week or so, then i have quite a bit of time off work, so plan to get lots done on the E39 and the mini...

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

trying to get the car strong again, then ill sort the welds out properly, cut the n/s wing off too, looks a lot more solid on teh inner wing and post but ill poke about and see what there is, any sniff of rust and itll get sorted out.

#118 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:48 AM

Your racing through these repairs mate... Nice work

#119 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

little bit mroe done, repaired a bit of the roof that had rot in it, and also did a bit on the posts...

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

Not fully finished but i just put some 2k epoxy on it for now...

Not that happy with the back post, there is a little difference in the panel, dont know if it s my fault of just the way the cars where made?! So going to ask my mate to come over and have a look and see what he thinks...

IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

#120 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

so! the aim of today was to prove to myself that the rear pillars are good enough and i dont need to cut and reweld thm in any way, as i was uncertain about them. So, I had epoxy primed the n/s yesterday, so today i scotched it and put some filler on it..

IMG_3003.JPG

Im not the best with filler, never really had much of a chance to use it, but in the limited times i have, ive found it realyl hard to use. Now, i think most of that reason is because it was always old filler that was rubbish, and didnt have the right sanding tools etc. So i was not expecting much of this job now...

I put 2 coats of filler on the pillar in the end and it came out a lot better than i was expecting, the window edge needs sorting out, but i just thought before i came in id paint it with some rubbish spray can white ive got and see what it was like..

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

Ok so it needs finishing off, but on the pillar itself it looks right! I was so shocked! I am thinking the filler may shrink a bit, so maybe ill wipe the white off tomorrow with some thinners, sort the marks that need sanding out, and ive a 2k high build primer, maybe paint it with that tomorrow and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users