sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

https://www.theguard...-vans-from-2040

what do you lot reckon ?

will they get an alternative ready by then ?

is battery electric the way forward - & what fuel charges them ?

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

https://www.theguard...-vans-from-2040

what do you lot reckon ?

will they get an alternative ready by then ?

is battery electric the way forward - & what fuel charges them ?

France have already announced the same news, if enough countries and say California as well commit then it probably will happen.

Having said that, I don't think the sound of brushes on a commutator will be as evocative as the bark of a Weber and the rasp of an RC40 at 7,000 revs.

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

I'd love to see the size and number of power stations that will be needed to power all the electric buzz boxes  that will take over - oh sorry we wont see any because all of our power will be imported from countries still burning oil :xxx:

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

No brushes in these motors.....

I agree there are major infrastructure problems associated with a massive switchover like this.

#5 Mike L

Mike L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:01 AM

I was just reading an article on this. What I find disturbing is that they mentioned scrapage schemes and eventually a ban on the sale of gas (petrol) and diesel altogether. We heard things like "scrap the old cars" around the time of the gas crisis but fortunately that went away. I worry that eventually the idea will be taken seriously. The old cars are rapidly fading away already they don't need anything to speed it up.

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

I was just reading an article on this. What I find disturbing is that they mentioned scrapage schemes and eventually a ban on the sale of gas (petrol) and diesel altogether. We heard things like "scrap the old cars" around the time of the gas crisis but fortunately that went away. I worry that eventually the idea will be taken seriously. The old cars are rapidly fading away already they don't need anything to speed it up.

There is already a scheme in Paris and one of the other French cities that bans older cars from being used during the week. How long before Sadiq Khan implements it in London with other UK cities to follow?

#7 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Until an electric car has a 500+ mile range I think this idea will struggle.

I'd also be interested to know how much electricity they use per mile.

If I were to buy a Hybrid, it'd probably be a Mitsubishi plug in, I like the idea of being able to top the batteries up. But again, I'd want to know the cost of the electricity vs the cost of fuel

#8 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

But again, I'd want to know the cost of the electricity vs the cost of fuel

Some one at work did some calcs and currently it is cheaper to run a car on household domestic electricity, but, that excludes the cost of initial vehicle purchase.

I put the currently in bold as the Chancellor of the Exchequer hasn't worked out the cost of funding 24 additional nuclear power stations to get this off the ground. lol.

Edited by DeanP, 26 July 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

If they did ban the sale of petrol and diesel in the uk, where would they then be getting all that lost revenue from the fuel duty they add on? Would the price of electric have to go up to compensate?

The government is already losing out on VED (road tax) as it is with the cheaper and zero tax  for greener petrol and electric vehicles.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

If they did ban the sale of petrol and diesel in the uk, where would they then be getting all that lost revenue from the fuel duty they add on? Would the price of electric have to go up to compensate?

The government is already losing out on VED (road tax) as it is with the cheaper and zero tax  for greener petrol and electric vehicles.

simple bring back Road Tax and tax every user of the Roads. May as well bring in ID cards.

#11 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

And where does all this magic electricity come from? why the big nasty power station. Before anyone launches into the solar panel debate, they apparently have a lifespan of 25 years and so far nobody has worked out how the deal with the real nasties that are inside them. Of course we could go for wind farms, they apparently take 30 years of use the cover the CO2 they took to make. I won't even enter into the pollution of making batteries, suffice to say that is really hard to dispose of a car battery now, most metal recyclers won't take them.

the most telling thing about how much rubbish is being talked? Micheal Gove announced it and he could save global warming by staying silent. the best advert for sending your child to Eton? Stupid people like Micheal Gove can reach the top of the three.

Edited by Ivor Badger, 26 July 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

And where does all this magic electricity come from? why the big nasty power station. Before anyone launches into the solar panel debate, they apparently have a lifespan of 25 years and so far nobody has worked out how the deal with the real nasties that are inside them. Of course we could go for wind farms, they apparently take 30 years of use the cover the CO2 they took to make. I won't even enter into the pollution of making batteries, suffice to say that is really hard to dispose of a car battery now, most metal recyclers won't take them.

the most telling thing about how much rubbish is being talked? Micheal Gove announced it and he could save global warming by staying silent. the best advert for sending your child to Eton? Stupid people like Micheal Gove can reach the top of the three.

Then there's the dangers of crashing an electric car 

Scroll to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Similar types of batteries are used in these cars, just bigger ones.

The other issue is the lifespan of these batteries.

#13 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Different interpretation of the issue:

http://www.roadandtr...esel-cars-2040/

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

One has to wonder if anyone in Gov't has done the calculation as to how much additional electricity generating power will be needed to cater for, say, 15,000,000 electric cars being plugged in to charge up during the same period overnight every night.

What is the likely range of an electric car in 10 years time, when the 'big switch-over' should be starting to happen?  When I used to work for a living it was quite normal for me to have a meeting 200 miles away in the morning followed by another one maybe 100 miles from there in the afternoon followed by a 150 to 200 mile drive home. Will it be possible to re-charge at a clients location (and how would that be paid for?) then charge again at the next clients and each charge being completed within 2 hours maximum?

It seems like a knee-jerk reaction which we may well not take seriously. It won't affect me as I will be almost 100 years old in 2040, if I'm still here.

Have the necessary re-charging infra-structure and possible technology improvements in battery capacity and life been considered? Probably not!

#15 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

Quote cooperman

It seems like a knee-jerk reaction which we may well not take seriously. It won't affect me as I will be almost 100 years old in 2040, if I'm still here.

Have the necessary re-charging infra-structure and possible technology improvements in battery capacity and life been considered? Probably not!

you will still be here - he don't take the naughty ones  ;D

and yes battery life & reliability is a big concern

there is only a finite supply of lithium - which is quite a polluter to  mine / refine / make into battery's then ship around the world

electric isn't a magic fix for everything

anyone else find it nauseating how the rich , singers & actors seem to think we  should do as they say - not as they do

what makes a  singer more informed than the rest of us ?

sting , bonio etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users