• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

With this announcement there are more questions than answers.

Questions like:

Where are the plans for the new nuclear power generation plants to supply the equivalent amount of energy to that generated by the petrol & diesel fuel being currently used? It is a huge number and may need several new nuclear plants.

With the more frequent need to stop and re-charge on a long journey, have provisions been made to hugely enlarge m'way service areas with literally many hundreds of re-charge points, together with recreation areas?

How will the massive lost revenues be reclaimed? Electricity will have to have an additional 'energy tax' which will penalise those who don't have a car at all.

What will residents of blocks of flats and terraced houses do to charge their cars and vans overnight?

Can all this be achieved in just 23 years? It looks highly doubtful to me. 

Will those enormous cruise liners be banned from UK ports in view of the huge amount of largely unregulated pollution they cause.

Has this all been thought through? One might seriously doubt it.

#32 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,939 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

One has to wonder if anyone in Gov't has done the calculation as to how much additional electricity generating power will be needed to cater for, say, 15,000,000 electric cars being plugged in to charge up during the same period overnight every night.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It seems like a knee-jerk reaction ....................................................................................................................................................

Have the necessary re-charging infra-structure and possible technology improvements in battery capacity and life been considered? Probably not!

I've been following this announcement across a couple of medias since yesterday. It really does raise LOTS of questions with few answers.

Just in regards to using Utility (AC) Power for chargers, the chargers for the batteries will have some electronics in them, which put (electrical) Harmonics back in to the Utility Networks. In small quantities, this isn't normally an issue, but on the scale that's being suggested, the Harmonic Content of the Utility Supply will definitely overcome any Power Station(s) ability to supply Power.

Knee Jerk and half baked, just like the Solar Schemes we have in our country that recently unstabalised the entire National Grid to the point where almost 4 of our States where plunged in to darkness, though one entire state was lost.

The technicalities involved are not as simple as the Politicians think and I can't see them ever being overcome.

They'd be better off pushing us towards teleporting over the internet since everything else is going on line and there's a greater reality of that happening than the world going to EVs.

Here is a true hybrid: ;D

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

A Hybrid that would bring HUGE smiles that one. I LOVE it.

#33 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

Where are the plans for the new nuclear power generation plants to supply the equivalent amount of energy to that generated by the petrol & diesel fuel being currently used? It is a huge number and may need several new nuclear plants.

From a few snippets i caught while flicking though the TV channels. Apparently there's already a power station in Lincoln that burns household black bag rubbish for power. Although how you can say burring anything is 'sustainable' and 'green' is beyond me.  

Will those enormous cruise liners be banned from UK ports in view of the huge amount of largely unregulated pollution they cause

Apparently they can burn cheaper less refined more polluting fuel when out at sea, and only switch to the cleaner stuff when in low emission areas, ports etc.

#34 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

From a few snippets i caught while flicking though the TV channels. Apparently there's already a power station in Lincoln that burns household black bag rubbish for power. Although how you can say burring anything is 'sustainable' and 'green' is beyond me.  

Will those enormous cruise liners be banned from UK ports in view of the huge amount of largely unregulated pollution they cause

Apparently they can burn cheaper less refined more polluting fuel when out at sea, and only switch to the cleaner stuff when in low emission areas, ports etc.

Electricity demand drops about 10GW overnight so the grid will be able to cope with demand if the vehicles are charged then.
Burning black bag waste and biomass is a growth industry at the moment as it's still better than digging a big hole in the ground and dumping it. These small plants can be built in just a couple of years and so are a short term fix until the new nuclear are built or shale gas becomes available.

#35 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

#36 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Very interesting, I like lots of dials :-)

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm not an electrical engineer, but will 10GW for. say, 7 hours during the night be enough to fully charge 15,000,000 electric cars from the normal domestic single-phase supply. 

Does this mean that if you live in a terraced house with no driveway you will have to use an extension lead across the pavement?

I'm not saying we should not move to electric traction whenever practically possible, but just how feasible is the gov't proposal with the likely infra-structure development all in around 20 years.

Maybe it's not a problem, but surely it needs explaining rather than just leaving it to luck and the imagination.

#38 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'm not an electrical engineer, but will 10GW for. say, 7 hours during the night be enough to fully charge 15,000,000 electric cars from the normal domestic single-phase supply. 

Does this mean that if you live in a terraced house with no driveway you will have to use an extension lead across the pavement?

I'm not saying we should not move to electric traction whenever practically possible, but just how feasible is the gov't proposal with the likely infra-structure development all in around 20 years.

Maybe it's not a problem, but surely it needs explaining rather than just leaving it to luck and the imagination.

And what if I don't want to charge my car at night?

What if I'm on my way to Newcastle and need to top up whilst stuffing my face with KFC at 12 noon?

#39 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

I think I'm going to start making some flux capacitors as I've got a feeling they will catch on.

#40 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

I personally don't see 23 years as long enough for a complete change in the infrastructure and battery and vehicle development. I think the best they'll end up with is a more efficient range of Hybrids. Another central government idea with no idea on what needs to be put in place to enable it.

#41 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

There was a test done where an electric car with a claimed range of around 160 miles was driven on a motorway at 70 mph, with drops to 55-ish then acceleration back up to 70. It was running with its heater and lights on and the range dropped to around 85 miles. Unless battery life is considerably improved by a factor of about 3 times, every electric car on the motorway system will be stopping to re-charge every  2 or 3 service stations. Now imagine every 2nd or 3rd car on the m'way with you pulling into the next service area for a boost charge. How many charging points will be needed even if a boost charge only takes 30 minutes (which is unlikely) - probably literally thousands. The service areas will need to be enormous like, probably, 5 to 10 times the size they are now. Imagine being on a long journey and having to queue for 2+ hours just to access a boost charge point, then have 30+ minutes whilst it re-charges.

Hybrids might alleviate this, but they run on petrol or diesel to keep the charge up and it is not clear whether they will be able to be sold after 2040. Does the proposed legislation mean all-electric, or electric-hybrid?

The BIG question is whether this has been thought through in depth, or whether it is just a gov't ideal thought up in order to comply with a requirement of some international agreement and thus not worth the paper it is written on.

#42 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

The BIG question is whether this has been thought through in depth, or whether it is just a gov't ideal thought up in order to comply with a requirement of some international agreement and thus not worth the paper it is written on.

Clearly not Cooperman, that why these people come up with these ideas and then turn to the think tanks like this one, read what you have to say and then take the credit for it after spending an obscene amount of money just to justify their position. 

Edited by neal, 28 July 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#43 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

A service station makes a few pence per litre, but sells a great deal of fuel per day. 
​Will service stations have a deal with the electric companies to have the electric at a cheaper rate and will they have enough charging points to make the sort of money they make of fuel.? 
​I dont think they will remain open.
​Another question, we still suffer power cuts so what if you are on the road and pull into a charging station and there is a power cut for a few hours. same if you are at home and the power goes down overnight, how do you get to work? 

Will car rallies still go ahead as fuel will run out due to price, will we still have motor GPs ?

#44 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

The plan I believe is to have charge points sank into the road, or not just points but a permanent sunken grid as they renew surfaces.

A pad underneath your car will pick up the charge via wireless technology and charge your car as and when needed, debiting your credit card automatically.

So no need for plugs and leads and you should be able to set your vehicle to ignore the charge points if it isn't needed, otherwise you will constantly be charged for topping up your battery.

So many more opportunities for fraud to take a grip of your account balance, but still a requirement for an extra 20 power stations.

#45 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

I think they will get the extra power from ...

the hot air coming out of politicians mouths

in truth the politicians making these changes , won't be alive / in power , to see them fail

all talk - no real intention of getting it done

will be left to others to pick up the pieces  later on

Edited by sledgehammer, 28 July 2017 - 04:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users