• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

The really good thing is that the local authorities are being told to remove the speed humps and other so-called traffic calming measures because they cause lots of stopping and starting which increases pollution.

It looks as though hybrids will be sold as they are the only way to get the necessary range.

Of course, it doesn't mean patrol and diesel cars will be banned from the roads and if you buy a new petrol car in 2039 it should last for at lest 25 years, i.e. until 2064 ;D .

#17 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Moving away from petrol and diesel has to be the future, it's almost inevitable. Whether that can be done by 2040 (or, like Cooperman suggests, more like 2064 if everyone buys a new car in 2039!). If you think about the development of technology thus far, it will continue to develop at an even greater rate. 

I don't think it will work just to give a deadline like that though. Having an idea of what you want to achieve is a good thing, but you are just setting yourself up for failure to commit to such a huge task in a relatively short time frame. 

The bigger concern is what bills / tax we will end up being hit with if not paying it on fuel duty. Will car electric and house electric then be charged at differing rates? Will all electric simply escalate hugely in price?

#18 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

Think it was Bono at a concert in Glasgow who said "every time I clap my hands, a child dies in Africa".  Someone in audience "well stop clapping your hands"

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

so where will the infrastructure come from.

we already know the Grid is not capable. 

too many NIMBYs

better start digging up the countryside.

#20 Dr.Wylde

Dr.Wylde

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

what about all your minis?

do we start a distillery and tune our engines to run on pure Alcohol?

unicorn farts?

for those of us who will still be here in 2040 what are you planning with your minis?

#21 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

Cars aren't the issue really. Check these equivalent emission statistics for just ONE cruise ship - One!

Sulphur dioxide - 376 million cars

Particle emissions - 1.05 million cars

NOx- 421,153 cars

CO2 - 83,678 cars

#22 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Intersting figures for the cruise ship there, now have a think about all those container ships dodging around the ocean!

as already said its pretty unlikly this will come to total fruition, as battery tech needs to tak a massive leap forward to mak it any where near viable especially for lorries, buses etc...  I dont see piling rigs running on electric any time soon.

also as mentioned lithium is finite and fast becoming scarce, I saw somthing about the Tesla car production being likly to consume all the available lithium currently being mined, and also it is nasty stuff.

There is some interesting battery stuff going on in the background, lithium/air looks to be very strong but again limited resources will eventually prevail... and its probably 10 years away before its marketable. Graphene batterys look to be promising IMO, google grabat graphine poymer, but again years away if it happens at all.

In terms of power production this again needs to come a long long way, its especially dificult in citys, I dont belive this is any where near suportable with green methods so think we would need to  go back to nuclear to meet the demands, also power production has its own sets of problems.... there is a reason we still have coal power stations, and it comes down to how quickly a power plant can react to demand. generally speaking you want to be using your nuclear plants at a nice steady rate, it lengthens sevice life reduces risk etc....  the peaks ( for example when every one gets up during the add break to boil a few hundred thousand kettles) are deltt with by coal, hydro and other fast reacting plants, its actually quite an interesting topic to look into.

#23 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Even if your Mini, or you, are still on the road after 2040 finding petrol will get progressively harder and more expensive.

There is plenty that would be a lot easier to tackle, as well as the cruise ships there's all the trendy wood burning stoves we've been fitting, and improving home insulation wouldn't be just moving a problem. The main thing is how we organise our lives, haven't seen any figures but I wouldn't be surprised if the average commute to work is at least ten times longer than in the 70's, when kids also walked to school.

In fairness, they have also recently announced "smart" energy plans, but with millions of cars plugged in every night I can't see "economy 7" price banding lasting long. Also in the news was the possibility of mining Cornish Lithium; how many of the cabinet have holiday cottages around St Ives?

#24 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

It looks as though hybrids will be sold as they are the only way to get the necessary range..

But they're not that economical.

I went down to Southampton the other week and due to the average speed 50 stretch I got 66 to the gallon.

There is no way you'd get that from a Prius

#25 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

It's only pure petrol and diesel - hybrids will still be allowed. (according to the BBC anyway)

I had a pure electric Focus on loan for a weekend - only managed 60 miles on a charge and it was brand new ... so that's where the technology on pure electric mainstream (non Tesla) is at the moment.

I read a review of the Mitsubishi Outlander PEV from somebody who had actually purchased one - it manages an impressive 18 miles on battery power!

I'm very supportive of any new technologies, but I think this one needs the infrastructure and technology to make some massive leaps to make it possible ...considering the majority of chemical companies are owned by petrochemical companies it will be difficult to make significant strides forward.  After all, Tesla's battery packs are just based on a normal off the shelf lithium Ion cell at the moment, it's noting new and been in laptops and phones for the last 15 years.

Maybe some of the compressed air powered technologies will advance too - there is a a guy in Australia who has developed an engine that looks promising and in the South of France some of the micro cars run on it too.  Clean, easy to store and refill and no energy loss ..how about a compressed air powered Mini? 

http://www.engineair.com.au/

Edited by DomCr250, 27 July 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#26 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

It's only pure petrol and diesel - hybrids will still be allowed. (according to the BBC anyway)

I had a pure electric Focus on loan for a weekend - only managed 60 miles on a charge and it was brand new ... so that's where the technology on pure electric mainstream (non Tesla) is at the moment.

I read a review of the Mitsubishi Outlander PEV from somebody who had actually purchased one - it manages an impressive 18 miles on battery power!

I'm very supportive of any new technologies, but I think this one needs the infrastructure and technology to make some massive leaps to make it possible ...considering the majority of chemical companies are owned by petrochemical companies it will be difficult to make significant strides forward.  After all, Tesla's battery packs are just based on a normal off the shelf lithium Ion cell at the moment, it's noting new and been in laptops and phones for the last 15 years.

Maybe some of the compressed air powered technologies will advance too - there is a a guy in Australia who has developed an engine that looks promising and in the South of France some of the micro cars run on it too.  Clean, easy to store and refill and no energy loss ..how about a compressed air powered Mini? 

http://www.engineair.com.au/

You could run the compressor with a little petrol engine and call it a hybrid.  :proud:

#27 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Thats a good point ... when I looked at what they were suggesting on allowing Hybrids I thought you could almost have almost anything with a petrol or diesel engine in it as long as it had a hybrid element to it.

#28 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Before banning the sales of diesel/petrol cars and vans the price of these fuels will go up, because the demand will be dropping the petro/chemical plants will be closing some of the plants down.   A lot of unemployment being the end product, fuel delivery drivers will become unemployed. 

​Fuel service stations will close down as the demand will drop, more unemployment. 

​What about some people who will have to buy the electric cars who have to park their cars away from the house overnight, how will they charge them up, very long extension cables? 

​Mechanics will have to become electricians to work on the drive train. 
​Companies who make turbos etc will close down as what use is it to a electric engine, more unemployment. 
​Caravan companies will close down, engine not big enough to tow a caravan, more unemployment. 
​ 

​To my understanding this change is to stop air pollution, at the moment there are to many cars on the road, why not make changes to alleviate both problems, increase the number of electric buses, more metro lines to stop at smaller villages to transport people to work, the new high speed train line is costing a fortune, why not use the money to implement  these changes as more people could use better transport to work than the high speed line will carry every day.

​The price of goods will go up as the transport cost of moving the goods will increase.

Debate please. 

#29 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

cheery lot arnt you LOL

#30 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man