66 replies to this topic

#16 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Very neat! Unfortunately it won't work with my remote shift or I'd be doing it myself

With the remote shift, you wouldn't have to cut the hole out would you? Just simply mount it to the floor? Then you get to use both the tray and the cup holder!

Surely if you use the metal retaining ring underneath it would be enough to hold it. It's a shame there's not a two holder version.

I'll try flipping it today and let you know!

#17 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Please do. Less cutting would be nice.

#18 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

cool. loving these cup holder solutions that are being made up.

#19 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

You'd still have to cut out the big oval like.

#20 pdaykin

pdaykin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Why do you need cup holders ? None of my minis last long enough between breakdowns for me to need a drink while driving !!!

#21 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Why do you need cup holders ? None of my minis last long enough between breakdowns for me to need a drink while driving !!!

Then you need to buy a decent Mini. Mine has never broken down, did London to Brighton from Barnsley last year, the only hitch was a blown indicator bulb.

#22 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Then you need to buy a decent Mini. Mine has never broken down, did London to Brighton from Barnsley last year, the only hitch was a blown indicator bulb.

Or you've never been out for the day in the mini with someone and stopped off for something to eat, only to get back to the mini to find there's nowhere for either of you to put your drink. And balancing a maccy d's coke between your legs isn't practical for a number of reasons.

#23 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Or you've never been out for the day in the mini with someone and stopped off for something to eat, only to get back to the mini to find there's nowhere for either of you to put your drink. And balancing a maccy d's coke between your legs isn't practical for a number of reasons.

Or you've never driven across Europe and needed somewhere to put your coffee, which is the only think keeping you awake.

#24 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Tried putting me metal ring underneath, lots of flex in the plastic tray when tightening it down so it doesn't move about, so I put it back to how it was before. I reckon if you got some MDF of the correct thickness and mount it underneath so it was like a "plastic tray/ MDF/ carpet/ body shell sandwich" that would be the way forward.

#25 pdaykin

pdaykin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

My kids fighting in the back are an excellent substitute for coffee - never fails to keep me awake :shifty:

I know that this is way off topic but when the mini does beak down the kids love it - they aren't used to tow trucks and it is all a big adventure.

#26 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Somewhere to put your cup of tea so you've got something to drink at the side of the road! Haha!

#27 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: ESMOC

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

Great idea, might have to order one up and pop it in the mini when the restoration is finished 

#28 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

That's exactly what I've done in mine, great minds! 😁

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Afternoon Chaps,

As we all know, one thing we all take for granted in modern cars is cup holders or even just somewhere to dump your pockets into whilst driving. After browsing on here and struggling to find something that would fit with my mini without a center console/ armrest I thought I'd try and butcher something up myself... It's actually turned out OK and looks pretty OEM! Best of all, It only cost £5.68.

36853919942_67170a8b35_c.jpg

It started out life like this: (eBay link)

http://www.ebay.co.u...AAAAOSw42dZIosI

Removed the gear gaitor securing ring (not a clue if that's actually what its called). Removed a bit of metal around the front edge to allow it to follow the curve of the cup holder and also a bit along the rear edge to allowe it to sit in the plastic tray. Then had to cut a couple of small channels into the sides to allow it to fit into the tray. Once slotted in roughly, I then traced around the inner ring onto the tray. The I removed the gaitor ring again, and cut a big hole where I had traced (plus a couple of mm for extra clearance). Then I slotted the gaitor ring in again.

Hopefully the photos explain it better:

36627851640_17b8071033_c.jpg

36853921142_e17b38ffda_c.jpg

36627851640_17b8071033_c.jpg

Then it's simply a case of refitting!

36836765336_dc5f19f1f6_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Marc

absolutely bob on that. and yes having the metal "ring" as you have is right. but may be tempted to have the rubber under the plastic, cant tell, as it will help seal and load spread.

if i had a mini on the road....

#30 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

absolutely bob on that. and yes having the metal "ring" as you have is right. but may be tempted to have the rubber under the plastic, cant tell, as it will help seal and load spread.

if i had a mini on the road....

Thanks mate! Yeah, I put the rubber under the plastic tray.

Edited by Marc_mcq, 05 September 2017 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users