I have a very wobbly clutch/flywheel!

#32 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

Looks like the flywheel is no longer seated on the crankshaft taper. You need to undo and remove the flywheel retaining bolt and remove the large washer behind it. It looks as if the flywheel will then just come away from the crankshaft as it looks so loose. Problem is the flywheel and crankshaft mating tapers may well be damaged.

#33 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Looks like the flywheel is no longer seated on the crankshaft taper. You need to undo and remove the flywheel retaining bolt and remove the large washer behind it. It looks as if the flywheel will then just come away from the crankshaft as it looks so loose. Problem is the flywheel and crankshaft mating tapers may well be damaged.

Im having trouble removing the large nut.. Ive stopped the flywheel from turning but the nut is turning the thread... Im assuming that washer under the nut should be at the clutch side locking things in place...
Attached File  B3EA9376-BE94-4BC8-97E7-5906A030EE77.jpeg   50.49K   0 downloads

#34 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

the bolt should have had a welded lock washer on it. under that is the keyed offset washer.

the bolt is long and will take a few turns to come out.

it may have already come out far enough as the flywheel is loose. can you lever it out. no great force is needed.

if not keep turning.

you should be able to put some levering force on the bolt and turn at the same time..

depending what is seen when the bolt is out and the flywheel is removed it may be engine out.

#35 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

the bolt should have had a welded lock washer on it. under that is the keyed offset washer.

it may have already come out far enough as the flywheel is loose. can you lever it out. no great force is needed.

if not keep turning.

you should be able to put some levering force on the bolt and turn at the same time..

depending what is seen when the bolt is out and the flywheel is removed it may be engine out.

Hmm something isnt right. Ive got the flywheel locked so it cant spin. Big socket on the end of the nut and Im turning away but the engine is still turning (the radiator fan is going around) and as I turn the socket I can feel the engine going through compression etc... whats plan b

#36 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

Is there actually a key washer in there? Could be the flywheel isn't locked onto the taper any more and the bolt has seized into the crank. Try tapping the flywheel back on to the taper otherwise I think you are going to have to try and lock it up from the timing chain end.

#37 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

if not keep turning.

Hmm something isnt right. Ive got the flywheel locked so it cant spin. Big socket on the end of the nut and Im turning away but the engine is still turning (the radiator fan is going around) and as I turn the socket I can feel the engine going through compression etc... whats plan b

You need to lock the engine from turning, somehow, as it does not appear that the flywheel is fixed to the crankshaft. Can you get a spanner on the crank pulley on the other ( radiator ) end of the engine ? That flywheel nut has to be removed to allow the flywheel to be removed.

#38 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Is there actually a key washer in there? Could be the flywheel isn't locked onto the taper any more and the bolt has seized into the crank. Try tapping the flywheel back on to the taper otherwise I think you are going to have to try and lock it up from the timing chain end.

to be honest pull the engine. the chances of the cranks being ok are slim to nothing.

but if you are going to proceed further yes you will need to lock it from the other end.

#39 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

right, Ive just ventured back out into the garage and have managed to get the bolt off! thanks for the advice, I managed to get an adjustable spanner to lock up the crank pully

the nut looks like its had a hard life... once I got the nut off the whole clutch assembly came off freely so definitely some sort of fitting issue there from whoever put it on! the only visible damage I can see if some scoring on the main shaft. im assuming this is where the clutch/flywheel has been bouncing about

Attached File  IMG_6402.jpg   36.62K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6405.jpg   65.37K   7 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6407.jpg   40.56K   4 downloads

#40 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

ok the Bolt in your hand is the bolt and key washer.

and to be the crank is scrap. the fly wheel center as well.

#41 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

ok the Bolt in your hand is the bolt and key washer.

and to be the crank is scrap. the fly wheel center as well.

youre not filling me with hope... :shy:

#42 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

Can you get some closer, clearer pictures of the damage to the taper section at the end of the crank and also the inside bore of the flywheel which sits on this taper.

Judging from your previous posts, and not being in anyway unkind, you are probably very close to having to put the job out and that is going to be very expensive. Unless you have the facilities to lift the engine out and completely strip it down to replace the crank I do not see any alternative. 

Putting myself in your position, and this is where clearer pics may indicate a clearer course of action, I would try and clean the flywheel taper as best you can (it will never look pretty again) , purchase a new flywheel centre,bolt, washer, etc and reassemble the unit.

I await the brickbats but in my view it's worth a try. Post some pics.

#43 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

Can you get some closer, clearer pictures of the damage to the taper section at the end of the crank and also the inside bore of the flywheel which sits on this taper.

Judging from your previous posts, and not being in anyway unkind, you are probably very close to having to put the job out and that is going to be very expensive. Unless you have the facilities to lift the engine out and completely strip it down to replace the crank I do not see any alternative. 

Putting myself in your position, and this is where clearer pics may indicate a clearer course of action, I would try and clean the flywheel taper as best you can (it will never look pretty again) , purchase a new flywheel centre,bolt, washer, etc and reassemble the unit.

I await the brickbats but in my view it's worth a try. Post some pics.

Attached File  IMG_6409.jpg   57K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6410.jpg   51.36K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6412.jpg   54.2K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6416.jpg   46.79K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6421.jpg   39.27K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6408.jpg   47.55K   0 downloads

hope these help give a better picture of whats going on.

getting the engine out isnt a problem as we have an engine hoist at work that I could borrow.

strip down and replace the crank... all sounds a bit beyond my capabilities! 

#44 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

Unfortunately it looks like a total engine strip down and rebuild - new crankshaft and flywheel. Amazing that the engine was still running.

Bad luck.

#45 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

Before looking to swap out the crank, get another flywheel (of any type) that has a good taper and lap in the tail of the crank first.

They always look much uglier than they really are.

It won't come up perfect, but I'm sure it would well be acceptable.

For a little bit of effort, there's not much to loose.

If the crank does come up OK, scrap your existing flywheel.

If it does clean up, just be sure on assembly that the Primary Gear isn't getting pinched. It should be OK, and I can't see that much coming off, but always best to check.

Edited by Moke Spider, 28 October 2017 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users