35 replies to this topic

#1 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Hey all, I’m after an A-Series Spares central locking kit.

A-Series Spares have been out of stock for some months now and I can no longer wait for them to sort out their supply issues.

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

http://www.minispare...cking.aspx?0904

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Minispares unit is good. Got it on mine and works a treat!

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:22 PM

I'm sure those from Mini Spares would be good and likely a 'bolt in fit'.

I've used kits from these guys and found them good;-

https://www.jaycar.c...7c-62b3ad8ac643

#5 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I have considered the minispares kit but would prefer to go with the A-Series Spares one if possible

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I have considered the minispares kit but would prefer to go with the A-Series Spares one if possible

You do realise its the same generic kit, don't you? However the leverage arms have been engineered better on the minispares kit.

#7 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

You do realise its the same generic kit, don't you? However the leverage arms have been engineered better on the minispares kit.

No, they are not.

The ‘minispares’ kit is the same kit that has been on the market for the mini for many, many years now, which users lever to transfer the movement from the a actuator which sits in the base of the door, up to the lock mechanism.

Generic or universal kits can’t easily be used on the mini as the actuator can only be mounted in the bottom of the door.

The A series spares kit is much different. They have done away with the lever system and designed it into a push/pull cable system.

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

No, they are not.

The ‘minispares’ kit is the same kit that has been on the market for the mini for many, many years now, which users lever to transfer the movement from the a actuator which sits in the base of the door, up to the lock mechanism.

Generic or universal kits can’t easily be used on the mini as the actuator can only be mounted in the bottom of the door.

The A series spares kit is much different. They have done away with the lever system and designed it into a push/pull cable system.

I stand corrected!

#9 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:46 AM

No, they are not.

Thanks for helping to clarify this.

Have you had any experience with the A-Series kit? I have only seen a lot of negative reviews of the company for taking money and not shipping the goods. Most people seem to give up and resort to using the minispares kit.

While I am in no major rush to get it, I have been waiting about 5 months now for them to be back in stock and would like to fit the central locking kit before having an alarm installed.

#10 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

I haven’t got any experience personally, but I have taken note on feedback that I have heard and read about them.

With this in mind, I have got plans to make a central locking kit up myself and trial it. But this won’t be for some time yet.

As for the company, we can only go by what we’ve read and make up our own minds.
They’ve been out of stock for months, and I believe they’ve been giving a 2-3week timescale for the kits to be ready for that whole time. So no one actually knows when they’ll be ready!

As for the ‘minispares’ kit, it does do the job very well. I’ve had one in car for over 10years and fitted a few others with no problems. It just takes a little time and patience to get it set up in the right place.

I can supply these kits, (from the main supplier that all the mini suppliers getvthem) but unfortunately I didn’t get any with my last order.
I can place an order but I do need to meet minimum numbers to get the best prices.

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

I'll post some pictures up of the modifications I made to the a series kit to make it fit for purpose when I get on a computer.

The tiny split pin through the massive plastic hole gave so much play I'm not sure it would've ever worked

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

As promised.

7x8Yqgd.jpg

This really is poor. The hole is massive compared to the split pin.

I’ve glued the outer of a pop rivet in to tighten it up.

M0wYflG.jpg

#13 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

I have the A-Series kit, I had a nightmare trying to get it, but it arrived eventually.  I bought it with their alarm kit, fitted it a year later and the alarm box is knackered.  Brilliant.

The product design is good, though I'll need to check re that split pin when I do fit it, but it sounds like they have no intention of of sorting stock out as it's an easy thing to have made up.  It's literally a steel plate cut to shape and bent at either end so it holds the actuator, screws to the right bit of the door, then runs a cable to the lock mechanism.  Just make your own.  Or better yet run off a batch of 100 and maybe they'll get the message.

They've been all over Facebook banging on about engine's they're building up for the last 6 months, I expect they're not going to bother with the other stuff unless that work dries up, though who in their right mind would buy something as expensive as an engine from them I've no idea!

I've never come across such a universally rubbish company to deal with, they clearly haven't a clue about customer service.

#14 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

As promised.

This really is poor. The hole is massive compared to the split pin.

I’ve glued the outer of a pop rivet in to tighten it up.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can see what you mean about the hole being far too big for the split pin. How have you found the rest of the kit? Would you recommend waiting to buy one from them or getting one from elsewhere?

#15 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

I have the A-Series kit, I had a nightmare trying to get it, but it arrived eventually.  I bought it with their alarm kit, fitted it a year later and the alarm box is knackered.  Brilliant.

The product design is good, though I'll need to check re that split pin when I do fit it, but it sounds like they have no intention of of sorting stock out as it's an easy thing to have made up.  It's literally a steel plate cut to shape and bent at either end so it holds the actuator, screws to the right bit of the door, then runs a cable to the lock mechanism.  Just make your own.  Or better yet run off a batch of 100 and maybe they'll get the message.

They've been all over Facebook banging on about engine's they're building up for the last 6 months, I expect they're not going to bother with the other stuff unless that work dries up, though who in their right mind would buy something as expensive as an engine from them I've no idea!

I've never come across such a universally rubbish company to deal with, they clearly haven't a clue about customer service.

Completely agree that A-Series Spares need some serious work on their customer service skills. I have had so many different excuses from them now that I’ve lost track of what the latest one was (something about a supply issue with the metal plate I think).

It’s clear, as you mentioned, that their motivation is in the big ticket items.

I have considered making my own kit, but to be honest I wouldn’t know where to start with sourcing the parts for the cable that runs to the lock mechanism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users