75 replies to this topic

#46 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Back to basics I've just checked and rechecked all the wiring and connections on the engine management loom. Only thing I can determine is that coming out of the black multi pin ECU plug I've got a single black 4mm thick wire that I've connected to a nut and thread terminal on the starter assuming that was an earth connection (its opposite the one with the positive feeds that has three wires going to it) in between the two terminals is a spade connection.  Consulting the Haynes manual it seems I've got the latter ones right as the starter turns over.

The single black wire mentioned above looks similar to the one in wiggys first picture that is earthed to the side of the servo. The old method of putting nuts and bolts back into places as an aide memoire for reassembling seems to have worked as I've also got a single bolt in a captive thread that is finger tight.

I cannot see any other unconnected wires so will take it off the starter and earth it to the point in wiggys pic.

Off we go

#47 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

done the above engine still will not turn over. 

#48 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Immobiliser related is all I can think of now

#49 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

If your fuel pump is priming, then I doubt it is your imobliser.
When I was having problems I pulled the multi relay box apart to see if one of the relays was playing up. Closing each relay with my finger operated certain things. One being the starter motor. I'm not saying pull it apart, but do you know someone who could lend you there's?

Edited by pete l, 03 March 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#50 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

Thank you

when I turn the ignition on I cannot now hear the pump priming.  Originally last week at first attempt at starting the pump was priming and fuel was entering the rail and back out the return.

I know no one up here with a mini!!

#51 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

apols in the first post on this page the starter does not turn over.  and still doesn't

#52 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Back to basics I've just checked and rechecked all the wiring and connections on the engine management loom. Only thing I can determine is that coming out of the black multi pin ECU plug I've got a single black 4mm thick wire that I've connected to a nut and thread terminal on the starter assuming that was an earth connection (its opposite the one with the positive feeds that has three wires going to it) in between the two terminals is a spade connection.  Consulting the Haynes manual it seems I've got the latter ones right as the starter turns over.

The single black wire mentioned above looks similar to the one in wiggys first picture that is earthed to the side of the servo. The old method of putting nuts and bolts back into places as an aide memoire for reassembling seems to have worked as I've also got a single bolt in a captive thread that is finger tight.

I cannot see any other unconnected wires so will take it off the starter and earth it to the point in wiggys pic.

Off we go

The single black wire from the ECU should not go to the starter ( that nut and thread terminal is the solenoid output to the motor) but to the bolt beside the servo as per the previous photo. Cranking would have put 12 volts on this earth and I hope you have not damaged the ECU.

#53 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

Looks that way sadly

Trip to local garage I fear maybe

#54 NielsTim

NielsTim

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

Does sound like the crank flywheel sensor could be dead. Not sending a signal to the ECU.

As Pete said it sounds to me like a sensor is somewhere not receiving or sending a signal 

#55 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

I just want to clarify again.

Did she ever spin over? Is she spinning over now? What did you change if she's no longer spinning over? You're quite sure the battery is OK?

Is the engine earth strap attached? (on the top engine steady).

If the immobiliser is deactivated the engine will spin over.
If the immobiliser is active, nothing will happen. Not even an attempt to spin.

#56 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

yes did turn over last week battery brand new and charged overnight just to be sure.

Don't know what I did to stop it spinning I assumed it was the immobiliser not sending code to ECU

Fob batteries new, fobs original and synchronised with car according to handbook. Immobiliser blinking light goes out on deactivating, when fob right button pressed it arms itself, however when door opened alarms fire up.  Takes several presses of the fob to stop noise!

#57 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

also new earth strap to block and bulkhead

#58 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

going to put an obd on it to see jf any codes are logged.

Auto electronics man on standby as all seems to be fast running away!!

Car has cost so much on resto and looks fantastic, I want to get it to shows and drive the thing etc therefore that the expense of getting it going is not an option.

#59 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

You'll get there. Just let us know what you find. I'm hoping it's something stupid like mine was.

#60 ColinSp8

ColinSp8

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

Man with OBD professional kit coming tomorrow!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users