19 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

I have rebuilt the 998cc engine of my mini about 3 times now! And i need help. When i put my foot on the clutch it cut the engine out however i have managed to sort this by putting the spacers in between the flywheel and drive straps which i forgot the first time round. But the clutch still does not disengage properly.....anyone any ideas? We have tried adjusting the throw out stop but this hasnt helped. Does anyone know what thickness the washers should be?

It is a brand new delphi clutch and we have all new clutch assembly including master cylider and back plate.

Hope somone can help as this is the only thing stopping me getting out on the road. Cheers Mini Man Dan

#2 the old git

the old git

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Clutch plate wrong way round? excess wear in operating arm/clevis pin/ 'ball at bottom of operating arm where it fits by throw out stop--Check the ' Frequently asked questions section'

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

There's a very useful article on the minispares site which tells you how to set up the flywheel and drive strap spacing, spacers should only be used on flywheels which have been skimmed/lightened from std.

however, if you press the clutch and the engine stops, then there is something which is binding preventing the crank from rotating... usual cause for this is the crank thrust washers around the center main bearing. Simple way to check, get someone to press the clutch and see if the pulley on the other end of the crank moves outwards.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

i understand its a brand new clutch but what type is it?? if you are trying to use a non verto long clutch arm and cylinder on a verto clutch there isnt enough movement to operate the clutch properly!! failing that have u tried bleeding out the clutch hydraulic system!! mite have air stopping u getting the full throw of the cylinder!!

#5 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

I put the spacers in as it showed them in the book and without them the problem was worse. the crank doesnt move when you put your foot on the clutch as tried that.....really dont know what else to do now :'( Any other suggestions please?

p.s It is a english car with A series engine

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

So the problem with the stalling has now stopped? The flywheel is standard (unlightened) and you have fitted spacers?

Clutch plate is deffo in the right way around?

#7 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

So the problem with the stalling has now stopped? The flywheel is standard (unlightened) and you have fitted spacers?

Clutch plate is deffo in the right way around?

Yes the stalling has stopped now, the flywheel is standard and im pretty sure the clutch is in the right way round as i took my time when doing this. And yes i have put spacers in

#8 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

please work dan's mini :errr: i need a friend on the road :dozing: yet mine gone off the road so whats the point :(:(

#9 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

I still don't understand why the standard flywheel needs spacers, I thought they were only for use when using a flywheel that had been machined down.

If the spacers are effectively applying too much clamping force on the clutch plate, it will never release properly.

bit of info here

#10 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

I put the spacers in to see if it made any difference which it did as it stopped the engine cutting out when the clutch was applied and allowed it to go into gear with some persuasion so i left them inas i dont know what else to do.

This probably sounds stupid but should the straps on the flywheel be able to move to allow the clutch to work properly? :errr:

Edited by Mini Man Dan, 24 October 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#11 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

AARRRGGGHHHH!! Another problem! I have just been out and started my mini and it is making an awful knocking sound which i think is coming from the flywheel end of the engine.....any ideas what it is? :'(

#12 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Basic questions, have you tightened the bolt in the end of the crank to 150 lb/ft?
you put the keyed washer in before tightening the bolt?

David

#13 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

Basic questions, have you tightened the bolt in the end of the crank to 150 lb/ft?
you put the keyed washer in before tightening the bolt?

David

Yea i tightend the bolt to 150lb/ft. Followed the book step by step as wasnt 100% sure.

#14 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

Sounds like the clutch plate is the wrong way around. The knocking noise sounds like the flywheel has come loose dont run the engine or you will damage the crank. Std clutch plate and flywheel dont use spacers. Clutch straps sound be tight

Edited by Maxmini, 24 October 2006 - 09:47 PM.

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

knocking sound could also be drop gear related!! the original stalling when foot on the clutch suggests the crank was possibly being forced up agains the thrust washer on the crank!! easily done if the throw out stop isnt adjusted properly!! putting in the spacers may have cured this but mite be giving you the clutch not releasing problem!!

either way it sounds like you're gunna have to take it apart and have another look!! this time send us pictures!! 1 of us mite see something that u may not know about or that is not mentioned in the book!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users