523 replies to this topic

#151 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:07 PM

Haven't done anything on this the past few weeks, but I did get my new shed last week.

That involved emptying old shed, moving it up the garden, filling it again until new shed arrived, put the shell under a storm force cover and dismantled the mini "hut" which allowed the new shed to be erected around the shell. Old shed had to then be re-emptied into new shed and tidied away. Have a nice new workbench/shelving unit that has lots of heavy duty storage and new led lights but all on hold at the moment as I tweaked my back at work and spent the day and majority of the night in A&E.
Probably take the next few days for pain too ease off, but no strenuous work for the next few weeks to build up the muscle strength and get back to normal...

Edited by colinf1, 26 November 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#152 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you have a speedy recovery. Really looking forward to see the pictures of the new shed.

Take care. Victor.

#153 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:24 PM

Taking advantage of the sale on at minispares. Ordered all the parts I need for my engine and gearbox rebuild. Had a lot more in my cart, but then I checked my bank account 🤣🤣🤣

The only thing not in-stock are baulk rings, haven't been available for a few weeks now but I haven't made it as far as removing that shaft yet.

#154 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:29 PM

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you have a speedy recovery. Really looking forward to see the pictures of the new shed.

Take care. Victor.

Thanks Victor, hopefully get some pictures soon, but need to get things tidied away 1st!

Some "light" none strenuous work today, put up the main led lights, wired them up now just need to tidy cable run and run it back down to distribution panel. Also drilled an entry hole for power cable coming in and put up a plywood backing board for the electrics.

Getting there slowly but surely!

#155 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:06 PM

Got my latest minispare order for engine and gearbox refresh, and thanks to Brexit and DHL it cost me an extra €45! So much for the savings from ordering during the black Friday sale!

Finished stripping the engine by removing the studs for head, fuel pump & 2 studs to gearbox then dropped it off engine stand into a plastic storage box for cleaning.

Came up pretty good with just oven cleaner and a toothbrush.

51742014088_f91fa5f239_b.jpg

51742420944_0a76666c39_b.jpg

Dried it all off then sprayed liberal amounts of wd-40 everywhere I could. Still need to clean out threaded holes and flush water jacket, but for the initial clean I think it's fine. Left it covered in a oily rag til I get back to it.

I then set about removing the main gears from the gearbox. Carefully drifted out the 1st motion shaft bearing, it came out nice and easy, I'll be reusing this as it looks good and no play in it.

Was a different story with the double roller bearing on the main shaft. It looks different to the new RHP bearing, as in the inner row was partially exposed where as the casing on the new one is full width of both rows.
I tapped the main shaft to open up some space to push bearing out, but bearing cage broke and sent bits flying everywhere! All detents popped out at the same, luckily they dropped into the casing, all springs and ball bearings accounted for!

Managed to wiggle the main shaft free and remove it without too much fuss.

All baulk rings look in perfect condition, these weren't in stock at minispares until end of January so was hoping that they would be fine.

Ready for another cleaning session...
51742663705_3384f9f9d5_b.jpg

51742663880_02e3f057aa_b.jpg

I've been using the bill sollis video on YouTube as a guide for disassembly, very detailed explanations on what to look for and how to take things apart, hopefully it's just as handy for reassembly 🤞

#156 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

Stripping down the gearbox has me worried a bit but I’ll look at that video and see if it gives me a bit more confidence.

#157 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 10:56 AM

Stripping down the gearbox has me worried a bit but I’ll look at that video and see if it gives me a bit more confidence.

The video is really detailed, the only real different thing I done was drifting out the 1st motion bearing rather than using the slide hammer method he did,

I think I forgot to move it back to neutral before tapping on the main shaft which caused the detents to pop out.

#158 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:06 PM

Have now completed the main shaft rebuild, all parts looked in really good condition, baulk rings and needle rollers all looked perfect.

Haven't got round to cleaning the casing to start putting stuff back in the box.

While waiting for an engine hone tool to arrive I took a look at the clutch housing, mainly removing the idler bearing. Things didn't go too good and ended up with a crack in the clutch housing 😡🤦🏻

Will look at my options here to either replace it or get the crack Tig welded, it doesn't seem to be fully cracked as it didn't leak some fluid I had left in it overnight.

51769535557_e4b5f08e27_b.jpg

Moving onto the engine block with the arrival of the engine honing tool. A quick 30second hone on each bore and it looked good.

51770361331_0d651628d2_b.jpg

Then went around all the tapped holes and carefully cleaned them out. Took off engine number tag and water pump dowels, then gave all the machined surfaces a light cleaning with wet dry and wd40.

Degreased all and washed out all surfaces, then went round the inside of the block and bores with engine oil

51770600443_53f901049a_b.jpg

Paint time...of course yellow isn't everyone's cuppa tea..
Not the original shade of mucky brownish yellow, so shouldn't look too bad once it's complemented with black and silver parts.

#159 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

Was putting off cleaning the gearbox housing for the past few weeks but finally got stuck into it today.

Degreaser to get the main gunk out, then a wash with sugar soap, then a quick acid clean, rinse off with water then plenty of brake cleaner sprayed everywhere and let it drip dry.

51780255239_e03df21b9d_b.jpg

Few areas which I couldn't get to with paint brush or toothbrush, but overall nice and clean.

51779862623_31fe9ec775_b.jpg

Then I had some fun playing pickup the ball bearings from the double roller. The inner races weren't clipped together but with lots of f'ing and blinding I got there in the end...

51778795472_fa6f1e3d85_b.jpg

Hopefully get the rest of it completed tomorrow and I can set that to the side waiting reattachment to the engine.

Ordered the wrong type of main bearings, all side tags when I needed 3 center and 3 side tags. So correct main bearings ordered, so hopefully they won't be too long coming.

#160 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 11:32 PM

I was looking at getting my gearbox case vapour blasted to clean it up but you have done a really good job cleaning yours I think I'll follow your method.

#161 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 07:46 AM

I’d be very wary about using a double roller that had fallen apart - this is a sign that it is worn.

#162 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:56 AM

I’d be very wary about using a double roller that had fallen apart - this is a sign that it is worn.

I hope not, it's a brand new RHP bearing.

#163 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:56 PM

Some more cleaning done in preparation for the diff rebuild.

Side covers cleaned and painted, old seals removed and bushes inspected.
Bolts cleaned and painted too. There is an odd bolt among the 10 for side covers, looks to be metric rather than UNC like others, but doesn't appear to be any holes retapped to accept it.

51787589556_008d516132_b.jpg

Diff casing also cleaned and painted, again looks to be in perfect condition.

Clutch wok had been cleaned a few weeks ago but never got round to painting it. It had a small amount of oxidisation but a quick wire brush cleaned this off and gave me a good key for painting.

51786770812_aa65a674a1_b.jpg

Noticed all dates on the casting are '82, just a pity about the crack in the clutch housing, be nice to keep it all original.

51788460060_8c39505c7d_b.jpg

51787836283_f835f5f75f_b.jpg

Clutch wok is 13/82

And the crack...

51788459975_cd64d9997d_b.jpg

How much clearance is between this point and back of flywheel?

#164 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:14 AM

Nice. What paint are you using?

#165 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:26 AM

Using ZG-90 silver as its a nice even finish, touch dry in 2 or 3 minutes so you can quickly move them without marking the paint. I haven't had any reactions when using this, other zinc spray didn't seem to stick to the surface as good as this.

Once the gearbox and engine are mated back together, I'll give it another paint, to capture all bolt heads then clear coat it to give seal it and hopefully that will make it easier to keep clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users