#1 Marc13

Marc13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

Hi

Picked my Mini up on Monday - a 1971 Morris rebuilt to Cooper S spec with a 1380cc A+ engine.

Had a 70 mile journey ahead of me and it started off very well (forgot how noisy these old cars are!) - about 35 miles in the engine lost all revs, whilst in gear. Coasted to a stop. Gave it 10 mins while I made a phone call. Started no problem, so I set off and did another 5 miles, same thing happened again. Then after 1 mile, then after 100 yards. At which point I got recovery out who towed me home.

My first thought is that for some reason its cutting out when it gets hot....as the 1st 50 minutes of the drive were problem free. Cools down a bit when I'm stuck at side of the road...then repeats.

May have nothing to do with this however.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Marc13, 22 September 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Could be the ignition coil they tend to quit working when they get warm , see if you have someone you can borrow one off, just check the primary resistances match up as there are different coils depending on electronic ignition or not etc 

#3 Marc13

Marc13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

Being a complete newbie to all of this - would a 'dodgy' coil explain the complete lack of power whilst running in gear...then the intermittent nature of it?

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

Being a complete newbie to all of this - would a 'dodgy' coil explain the complete lack of power whilst running in gear...then the intermittent nature of it?

When my coil was bad it would run fine no problem, then out of no where would die, could be when stationary or when moving , my worst was at a set of traffic lights. I found it didnt cough or splutter just stopped running asif you turned the key off. Would crank but not start give it a few minutes and she was right as rain. 

#5 Marc13

Marc13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:42 PM

does sound very similar. So far has only done it whilst moving. Lets say that was the problem... 

would a replacement coil solve the problem, or is that likely to have the same issue (when it gets hot)?

#6 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

does sound very similar. So far has only done it whilst moving. Lets say that was the problem... 

would a replacement coil solve the problem, or is that likely to have the same issue (when it gets hot)?

Replacing would fix it, i dont know why it happens, maybe the oil gets contaminated and under heat becomes conductive and shunts the secondary, alot of people will agree with me stay away from lucas gold coils, they arent what they used to be. I personally have a power spark electronic ignition so i went with one of their Coils which is specced for the module.

Are you running points or electronic ? 

May also be worth waiting to see if anyone else agrees with me. 

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

Does you're rev counted die or misbehave?probably ignition related.Tach OK and slowly dies?probably fuel.No guarantees mind.A Mini is useful in improving your analytical mind.The ignition components are cheap enough to carry with you as diagnostic tools.Have fun.Steve..

#8 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

Maybe start with the simple things?
Battery connections and cables all good?

#9 MiniBGT

MiniBGT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:03 AM

Condenser? 

#10 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:07 AM

Fuel evaporation on its way/in the carb due to the engine heat?

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Describe better how it stops - suddenly dies as though the key had been turned off, or won't run at high revs/load but is OK with less throttle for a while, gradually getting worse until it stops?

Did you stop for 10 minutes each time or were the subsequent stops shorter?

#12 Marc13

Marc13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

Describe better how it stops - suddenly dies as though the key had been turned off, or won't run at high revs/load but is OK with less throttle for a while, gradually getting worse until it stops?

Did you stop for 10 minutes each time or were the subsequent stops shorter?

Graeme - just stopped like the key had been turned off. On one occasion I kept my foot down and nothing at all. On another occasion i tried dropping it in to neutral and then popping it into 3rd....nothing at all. Also tried neutral and pressing accelerator - but no revs at all.

Couldn't be accurate, but I would say it was approx 10 min stop each time. Maybe the last stop was a little bit less.

Nipped to the shop last night - no trouble.......but that is 5 mins each way.

#13 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

That sounded like mine when the condenser packed up so try that it's a simple fix.

#14 Marc13

Marc13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

Replacing would fix it, i dont know why it happens, maybe the oil gets contaminated and under heat becomes conductive and shunts the secondary, alot of people will agree with me stay away from lucas gold coils, they arent what they used to be. I personally have a power spark electronic ignition so i went with one of their Coils which is specced for the module.

Are you running points or electronic ? 

May also be worth waiting to see if anyone else agrees with me. 

Re points or electric - i think points, but as daft as it sounds I need to check - I only picked the car up on Monday and with being stranded for half the day I really haven't had chance to have a good look at the ignition bits

#15 MiniBGT

MiniBGT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

As a test, rig a new condenser from the negative terminal of the coil to earth and drive the car.  If all Ok then you can change the one inside the distributor.  I run my two rally cars with no internal condenser and an external one rigged to each of the two coils that I have, one is a quick changeover spare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users