flatout

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: ??

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hello,

Got into the mini this mornig to go to work and went to use the indicators for the first time and they didn't work, either left or right. It still wasn't working by the time I had got to work (14miles), this has happened before and it's started to work again. The hazards lights are working fine, so the bulbs haven't gone.

What could it be, a flasher relay?

If so where is it located on the back of the dash / engine bay? (It's a 1992 mayfair, with a MG Metro lump)

Looks like a trip to halford is on the cards!.... It only passed it's MOT on friday!

Cheers,
Paul

#2 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

It will be the flasher, happened to mine earlier this week.

Mine is an 89 City and the flasher unit for the indicators is located in the area under the clocks.

Once you have found it, its fairly simple to test if it is up the creak, just connect the two wires that go into it together and see if the indicators come one (they wont flash obviously). This is also a 'quick get you home' fix so you have some form of indicators on the car, even if they dont flash.

The hazards have a seperate flasher unit.

I got a replacement in halfrauds for a fiver, it makes a really horrible noise though !

#3 flatout

flatout

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

It will be the flasher, happened to mine earlier this week.

Mine is an 89 City and the flasher unit for the indicators is located in the area under the clocks.

So it's located inside the car, behind the dash / dial console? or can you get to it from underneath, as i've never taken the dial console out before!

Don't suspose you have a part number (from halfrauds) as I'm not going to have the time to look at it until tonight when its dark and parked in the garage!

Cheers,
Paul

#4 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

also check that your hazzard switch is not faulty - if it is still drawing power in the "off" poistion then your indicators will not work! :P

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

So it's located inside the car, behind the dash / dial console? or can you get to it from underneath, as i've never taken the dial console out before!

Don't suspose you have a part number (from halfrauds) as I'm not going to have the time to look at it until tonight when its dark and parked in the garage!

It hangs down near the steering column on mine :P shouldnt need to take the clocks off to access it.

Halfrauds should be able to find it on their computer system. The part number on mine is '202' i think...

#6 Total Richie

Total Richie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local Club: Bristol

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

pic of what you are looking for

Attached Files

#7 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Looks nothing like mine !

Its more of a rectangular shape.....same colour though :P

#8 flatout

flatout

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

Thank you all,

I've just had a quick nosey around the steering column and I found two square / rectangle plastic relay boxes, one 'Red, Lucus' sat at the back near the bulk head and a 'Black' one sat to the left of the column near the heater unit.

Should there be more than that? (these two were easy to find)

I'll head to halfrauds after work and see if I can pick one up and try and fix it tonight.

Paul

This is the red one:
Attached File  YWC10050.jpg   9.17K   3 downloads
seems as though thats the headlights.

Edited by flatout, 31 October 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#9 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

no, that's it! the later ones were that type!

#10 Awlred Drives a Quant

Awlred Drives a Quant

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

no, that's it! the later ones were that type!

Agreed, same unit in mine

#11 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

quick test would be to swap them over! if your hazzards still work then it's not the relay, if your indicators still don't work then it's the hazzard switch not shutting off correctly!

#12 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Sure that red relay is the dim dip beam on mine and the flasher is just next to it, its the black one with three conections :P

#13 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

the red relay shown in the piucture is the half dipped bean relay!!I PROMISE YOU THIS MUCH!! big brown/orange wires and lots of blue/red and blue/white wires!! and a few others to boot!!

there is a second 3 pin relay under there too, its black!! has a green/brown wire, a purple/orange and a black i think!!

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Yeah that does look like the dim-dip relay and the flasher unit will be a silver cylinder shaped unit that's held in a little bracket behind your clocks.

Just stick your hand right up underneath your dashboard and you'll be able to find it even though you won't be able to actually see it until you pull it away from the little bracket.

Then it'll drop down and it should have enough wiring so you'll be able to see what your doing when replacing it. But it'd be worth sourcing a good replacement from Rover or Lucas.

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:35 PM

the silver cylinder one is for earlier cars i thought!! im not sure when they started mixing and matching! ideas tho!! the black one is hazards and indicators in 1 unit!! the solver ones are 2 seprate relays 2 seperate circuits!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users