27 replies to this topic

#16 jim295

jim295

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:33 AM

the one in my mini which is an '88 jet black is a silver cylindrical one, not sure what year they switched from these to the newer plastic ones?

#17 flatout

flatout

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: ??

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

Well I changed the flasher relay last night and that didn't work, still no indicators! So put the old relay back in.

Drove to work this morning yes with NO indicators, but I need to get to work! About 8 miles into the journey and they stated to work again... yippee! But why start working again? (loose connection / bad earth?)

When I arrived at worked I had a quick play with the indicators and hazard switches again. This resulted in the indicators not working again... mmhhh bizarre. Flicked the hazards on (they worked) and then the indicators on, turned the hazards off and the indicators were working again!

Now to me that suggests that there is possibly something wrong with the hazard switch, as mentioned above on a previous post.

I haven’t got the time to fiddle with it, so it looks like it’s going to have to go the garage.

Paul

also check that your hazzard switch is not faulty - if it is still drawing power in the "off" poistion then your indicators will not work! ;)

How do I check the hazard switch?

Paul

#18 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

I would Just buy a new switch. Some people claim that a slight spray WD40 and working the lever back and forth will do the trick as it may just be dirty, personally I'd use switch cleaner spray (used on electrics and guitars etc) as this evaportes too.

To check the switch, get a circuit tester. Pop the cowling off behind the steering wheel, find the wires goin to the switch for indication and check them on the terminals for signal.

#19 flatout

flatout

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: ??

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would Just buy a new switch. Some people claim that a slight spray WD40 and working the lever back and forth will do the trick as it may just be dirty, personally I'd use switch cleaner spray (used on electrics and guitars etc) as this evaportes too.

To check the switch, get a circuit tester. Pop the cowling off behind the steering wheel, find the wires goin to the switch for indication and check them on the terminals for signal.

Buy both the 'hazard' and 'indicator' switches?

Paul

#20 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

mine did this i had the hazards on and knocked the indicator the work fine now just started up again ;)

#21 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

Paul

Get a multimeter and check that there is no 'leak' when the switch is in the off position (the manual with the multimeter will tell you how, basically you are checking the 'resistance' of the switch - in the off position the meter should read up as 'error' or however your meter displays it as there should be no path for the current to flow through, if there is a path you will get a resistance reading which means the switch is knackered !)

#22 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

annother check is to remove the hazard switch, the socket u have removed will have 6 wires in it!! 2 together then a gap of 2 holes then 4 together!! if u join together the 2 lone wires(just get a loop of wire and shove each end in 1 of the contacts) it will bypass the switch and eliminate that!! if theres stil no hazards make sure you have voltage to the hazard relay!!

#23 il-barba

il-barba

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: malta mini

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

how do you remove the hazard switch?

#24 Doooeks

Doooeks

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

It could be that the power line to your indicator switch is faulty (bad connection somewhere) possible the switch contacts are dirty.

Not sure what your set up is but on older minis you can open up both switches to clean the contacts.

The Hazzards work from a direct live from the battery but the Indicators work from a switched live from the ignition switch.

#25 Speedstar

Speedstar

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

hi

im having a similar problem but i can't find the indicator relay. i hav a 1993 Mini Cooper 1.3i and have been told the relay should be under the bonnet? is this true or is it under the dash like it seems everyone elses is? where exactly under the dash board is it located if it is there. the previous owner put on a fancy dash which is a real pain for access behind the steering column.

many thanks
Tom

#26 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

also check that your hazzard switch is not faulty - if it is still drawing power in the "off" poistion then your indicators will not work! :(

Paul

What you did pretty much confirms what i thought, just buy a new switch, not worth faffing about with them when they are that cheap! I've had this fault on 3 cars in the past and the new switch always sorted it :)

#27 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

how do you remove the hazard switch?

You need a small flat head screwdriver, place it under the lip of the switch between the switch and the dash, in teh centre of the Top edge and lightly press down and lever it out. it has 2 metal springs that hold it in place in the dash once you clear one the other will pop out nice and easy

#28 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Speedstar, you have a late type indicator system in your car with only one flasher unit and a normal relay to turn the indicators on. The relay is in the engine bay near the wiper motor. The flasher unit is behind the clocks. This is a digital flasher unit and very unlikely to have failed. The vast majority of indicator / hazard problems in Minis are due to the hazard switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users