#1 71 V12

71 V12

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

Hello from the Island of Madeira.

New to this forum and long time Mini fanatic having owned a 1965 MK1 Morris Cooper S In the late 70’s, registration ANM 595C. The only car I regret selling!!

Anyway, reason for the post is my cousin who lives in Madeira has owned a 1976 MK3 from new, she loves the car and keeps it in daily use. It’s the ideal car for the tiny streets and narrow parking spots in the city of Funchal.

Lots of short journeys and some poor maintenance have worn out the ignition switch. I am trying to help source a replacement and from what I can find it looks like the MGB item, please see photo.

However from the images I can see of the MGB switch the wires are different colours and the connector a different type. Not a problem I can swap the connector and terminals but I don’t have a wiring diagram  to check my assumptions are correct.

Is there a resource on the forum for wiring diagrams by year?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Attached File  4AFDC220-8273-4F2D-A7EE-81004680E3E9.jpeg   217.81K   3 downloads

Attached File  234483E0-4B1E-4097-8911-1B4290B63B0A.jpeg   83.2K   1 downloads

#2 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

To save time & effort with diagrams that won't really help you -the bottom picture appears to be for a Neiman-Tex steering lock.

(some mg models used a slightly different version of this Mini lock).

Just get the correct part if possible -part number 37H6544.

New Old Stock cables do turn up occasionally on eBay at a sensible price but if the MGB cable is really cheap then read this....

http://www.theminifo...h/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Itsaminithing, 02 October 2020 - 06:29 PM.

#3 71 V12

71 V12

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

Hi Itsaminthing,

Many thanks for the reply and the link to the related topic, most helpful.

I will keep a look out NOS OE cable and switch. If I cannot locate one I see the MG version is about £13 from Leacy MG.

Is there a data base of technical info on the forum? I take your point about the wiring diagram but it would be good to have a reference.

Regards

Kevin

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:27 AM

Your 1965 MK1 Morris Cooper S registration ANM 595C is still on the road according to the DVLA website:-

ANM 595C
Taxed
Tax due: 1 April 2021
MOT
Expires: 24 November 2020

Vehicle Details Vehicle make MORRIS
Date of first registration March 1965
Year of manufacture 1965
Cylinder capacity 1275 cc
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Taxed
Vehicle colour RED
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 4 September 2017

Edited by mab01uk, 03 October 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#5 71 V12

71 V12

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:19 PM

Your 1965 MK1 Morris Cooper S registration ANM 595C is still on the road according to the DVLA website:-

ANM 595C
✓ Taxed
Tax due: 1 April 2021
✓ MOT
Expires: 24 November 2020

Vehicle Details Vehicle make MORRIS
Date of first registration March 1965
Year of manufacture 1965
Cylinder capacity 1275 cc
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Taxed
Vehicle colour RED
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 4 September 2017

Great to see this. Tartan Red/ Black roof, grey/ gold fleck interior. I paid £500 foot in 1978 , my first car on passing my driving test at 17. It was a typical bodged with filler, cheap paint job when I bought it. I put new sails, heel boards, hinge panels, wings, front and rear panels and converted it to dry suspension. I also had a 1071 engine I would drop in from time to time.

I thought it probably would be a survivor. Happy days

#6 Yoda74

Yoda74

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

I've been to Madeira a few years back and photographed some Mini's I saw over there on my vacation, who knows your cousins Mini is one of them .

Post a pic please so I can compare. :D

#7 71 V12

71 V12

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 02:50 PM

This is the car out on the road in Madeira very recently. My cousins husband is driving with his grandson just about to enter one of the many huge tunnels that cut across the island. Original pre EU registration not too dissimilar to 60’s style UK plates.

I am not sure what the colour is, too creamy for Old English White. Nice well preserved car.

I went for a Lucas MGB switch which is a perfect solution and only £15 inc P&P. Really pleased to able to retain the original switch and keys.

Attached File  91EECCDA-B1E5-41EF-BDAD-C0A3D8E5BDD7.jpeg   62.95K   4 downloads

#8 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:59 PM

It's a Mk3 -to me it would be sacrilegious to fit a later steering column, lock & shroud.

Interesting colour, is it the original colour or has it been resprayed at some point? ....& if not then is it a Portuguese built Mini?

They were assembled by IMA at Setúbal from a kit of parts shipped from the UK & sprayed in the factory with some painted in colours not available on the UK Minis (came across one reference to them using ADO16 colours).

#9 71 V12

71 V12

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:17 AM

I thought I would come back with an update on this topic. I have been back in the U.K. now for some weeks however I bought my cousins Mini ignition switch with me and as mentioned above sourced the MGB ignition switch which was a direct fit into the steering column lock housing. I posted the repaired parts and terminals to Madeira and my cousin got a local auto electrician to fit the new switch. it works perfectly.

However anouther problem has come to light. Unfortunately all of the screw mounting lugs on the steering column shroud are broken off, I guess as a consequence of repeated attempts to fix the switch.

Can anyone advise if the shrouds are still available as new? If not a good method of repair.

In reply to a previous comment, the VIN plate looks like a Longbridge built car, perhaps someone can confirm?

Attached Files

#10 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

That's the correct BLMC VIN plate for a late Mk3 but it's not a Longbridge VIN number: too many digits & a 1976 UK Mini would have had an A at the end (though it was often omitted).

I've only seen 7 digits on a Spanish Authi Mini but i've only seen a Z at the end & not an S.

(A- Longbridge, M- Cowley, K- Malta, B-  Belgium, U- South Africa, P -New Zealand, J -Malaysia, Z- other plants without their own letter designation)

.... & that's definitely not a UK made column shroud: I'm guessing that was made by Plásticos Brello (Spain). If it is original it would be a shame to change it for the English version.

IF it is an Authi (nobody can be certain about that without further information) then lots of parts will be marked differently to the UK versions: ie anything made from glass or plastic.

#11 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

attachicon.gif 46D65CCE-464D-41BD-B21B-FE63D98D6F79.jpegI thought I would come back with an update on this topic. I have been back in the U.K. now for some weeks however I bought my cousins Mini ignition switch with me and as mentioned above sourced the MGB ignition switch which was a direct fit into the steering column lock housing. I posted the repaired parts and terminals to Madeira and my cousin got a local auto electrician to fit the new switch. it works perfectly.

However anouther problem has come to light. Unfortunately all of the screw mounting lugs on the steering column shroud are broken off, I guess as a consequence of repeated attempts to fix the switch.

Can anyone advise if the shrouds are still available as new? If not a good method of repair.

In reply to a previous comment, the VIN plate looks like a Longbridge built car, perhaps someone can confirm?

Until today I never saw a VIN with S as the last digit. Longbridge has 'A'

I am very interested on that car. Please take some more pictures if you can !

My car is an Authi (also) and it has Z at the end. And if you look at left side of the picture the air intake "MADE IN SPAIN".

The car has the same Brello steering cowling than yours. The centre binnacle is Brello too

Attached File  authi1.jpg   69.23K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20181020_132201.jpg   32.13K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20181020_132212.jpg   30.65K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20201206_192626.jpg   68.35K   0 downloads

#12 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

It was probably put together in Setúbal, Portugal, which would probably be the S I suppose.
Cant find any evidence of this, yet. 😁

Ps: also just baught myself an Authi. 😅

#13 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:27 AM

There is one thing the is not clear for me.

The VIN on the picture shows XL2S1N.

L = 998cc

2S = 2-door saloon

N = Special Deluxe (Except for North America). Includes the Mini 850 Special Deluxe, the Mini 1000, and the Mini Special 1098cc.

I thought IMA in Portugal produced Van and round nose 1100 Mini Sport only.

So what type of Mini is this ?  O_O

#14 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:26 AM

I would say it should be a 998 according to the VIN. Do you have the same pressing on the floor?

What is stamped on the engine ID plate?

Concerning the N in the end: I understand it as "is a Mini 850 Special Deluxe OR a Mini 1000 OR a Special 1098.

I have the same identification on mine (Belgium built) and it's a 998.

#15 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:56 AM

If the car is a portugal IMA Van the VIN should be start as XLV.....

If it is a Mini Sport it would be XC2S.....

Assuming that I am right.

I hope Kevin will show us some more picture of the car :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users