Photo
- - - - -

Minispares Evolution Cones - Has Anyone Tried Them?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiMini77

KiwiMini77

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Car Club of Auckland

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

The Minispares Red and Yellow Dot cones have been around for a while now - and the original cone even longer.  However, I now need some for my 77 MkIV which is running on tired standard cones and leaking KYB shocks along with otherwise completely standard suspension.  The only mod is discs up front and spaced rear drums - even the bushes are new rubber ones.

I came across the Minispares Evo this afternoon and I am wondering how firm the ride of these Evos are when compared to the standard rubber cone.  

As we all know with standard cones - the bigger the bump, the bigger the thump....and there's a point where the THUMP goes up exponentially in relation to the size of the bump, rather than at a more standard curve rate like a coil spring.

The Red Dot cones claim to have a better 'curve' to their compression rate - thus they don't thump as hard when presented with a moderate pot hole.  The word 'consistency' is banded about a lot on the Red Dot's MiniSpares advert in reference to this effect too, I believe.

The Evo is touted in its MiniSpares ad as a better option than the standard cone in this regard as well.  I was wondering how it translated to Real Word typical round town and open road driving - nothing too spirited and no track or boy racing, just general round town and open road.  I like the way the Mini handles and corners, but its ride is bl**dy hard on my advanced middle-aged body.

The vehicle is to be driven by my daughter once she gets her license and while I still want it to be a Mini in essence, she will be using it mainly around town with the occasional trip at open road speeds, but I believe the clutch and brakes will get more testing of their limitations than the suspension ever will.  Comfort, not cornering speed, is the ultimate goal....but without ruining the Mini experience..

Having already decided on Bilstein B4 gas shocks, it's now down to the cone itself.  I guess to sum up, my main queries about the Evolution unit are: 

- Do they just feel like a typical rubber cone?  

- Do they feel any harder / softer?  

- Does the Mini handle any better / worse?
- Does the car lose any of it's 'Mini-ness' and start to behave like a rice pudding on a platter?

Any help, advice, experience with the Evo etc is greatly appreciated 

Link to Minispares Evolution advert:  https://www.minispar...FAM3968EVO.aspx

......and here she is - our little Trixie (that's the Mini, not the young lady in the passenger's seat!)

Attached File  IMG_20200520_153545a.jpg   43.78K   8 downloads

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

There has been a thread running on these for a few weeks now;-

http://www.theminifo...n-rubber-cones/

#3 KiwiMini77

KiwiMini77

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Car Club of Auckland

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

There has been a thread running on these for a few weeks now;-

http://www.theminifo...n-rubber-cones/

Yes - I saw that one and I did do a search on ALL forums before posting this to make sure I was not rehashing some age-old question.....and there were two posts where it had been mentioned - one where the unit is mentioned in passing and the more specific one you have alerted me to.

If you read the comments left behind on either post about the Evo cone, you will note that they do not answer the questions I am asking and were not specific enough to base a decision on.  That particular thread is also in the Chat forum, rather than the Problems, Questions and Technical one and I thought maybe this forum was a better fit for the question, so posed it here.   :proud:

Hope that didn't upset anything / break rules etc.  I'd just like to find out more about what they are like to live with.  Cheers :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users