#16 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:00 PM

We use a Sealey 185, good machine as it only needs power setting 1 or 2 for body work

#17 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:10 PM

Another recommendation for R-tech. Had my mig 180 from them about five years, used virtually every day and well out of warranty. Yesterday I had an issue with the gas not shutting off so rang them for a new gas solenoid switch. Arrived this morning, free of charge! Easily fitted and back to work with almost no down time. Can't argue with that sort of after sales service

#18 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:35 PM

Without double checking mines a clarke 135 turbo.

The Clarke stuff used to be reasonable hobby kit, but these days it really is old hat - big, heavy and not as powerful

Clarke135TE      30-130A   29kg   680x350x470   £300

RTech MIG180   25-180A   14kg   330x210x410   £475 (with TMF+ discount)  3yr warranty!

OK the RTech is one of the dearer ones, but all the other recommended ones will be smaller, lighter and more powerful than the Clarke.  Probably more reliable too.

Yeah my clarke one is about 7 years old and yes it is heavy to lug about.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to distract from the thread with my post,,,,

What's a ogod MIG welder to buy for my son to do bodywork, etc?

I have an old and fairly powerful 180 Miller, but I don't know what the current scene for MIGs is like.

I've been looking at Sealey stuff and I don't want gas-less.

It's just for when he needs to do a bit of bodywork repairs and steel fabrication up to about 1/4" maximum thickness.

What are you guys using and how good are they?

Shhhhhhh,,,,,,,, I think I smell a Christmas Prezzy coming on ;D

That's quite right Chris.

But I will let him know he is getting one so that he doesn't go and buy one himself as I know he intends to.

At the moment the Gas/gasless Clarke 151EN is looking good for exactly what he needs.

There is a funny bit of a story as to how I got my big Miller one a long time ago. I bought a fairly small 'hobby' Mig from a fairly local guy who advertised in the local papers and worked from home. After using it for about 3 years it was not feeding wire too well, so I called up the guy from whom I had bought it. He had opened a shop in a nearby town since we were last in contact. He offered to do a service and said he would lend me another one whilst he did so. He came round and delivered an ex-demo large 180 amp Miller professional one and took mine away. After about 6 weeks I had heard nothing so I called in at the shop whilst I was out that way. The shop was all closed up and the guy had gone broke. No-one ever contacted me and I guess the stock, including my little MIG had been sold off. I simply kept the big Miller unit which has performed fantastically and done a lot of restoration work.

You've a very luck young lad there.

I was gifted an OTC 350 Amp TIG just recently, all for the cost of a little bit of diesel (to have it delivered), it's fairly top end and easily does large alloy castings - like gearbox cases,,,,

#20 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

There are loads of MMA arc welders available, and with inverter technology they are almost pocket sized.  Even the top brand ones do them at under £200.

I saw one of these at my favoured steel merchants a couple of months back - I was totally blown away by it, I thought at first it was a display 'toy' thing, but the real deal. I've had pills bigger than these !  For me, it also makes it totally practical to take an Arc Welder with us on our Outback Trips.

#21 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

I'm thinking the £4-500 bracket is too expensive for what I need,

What's the views on this one:  

https://www.machinem...ini-130-synerg/

#22 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

I'm thinking the £4-500 bracket is too expensive for what I need,
What's the views on this one:

https://www.machinem...ini-130-synerg/

Keep an eye out on Ebay, gumtree etc, as I said above,
we got a used once newest model Sealey 185 mig with 2 size Y (half size) bottles, regulator, mask and spares for £250. The guy had bought it as an upgrade from an older version but couldn't get it to set up right... We had it welding 3mm wall box together in minutes once it was checked over. It only needs 1 or 2 out of 6 possible power settings to do Mini bodywork

Edited by cal844, 01 December 2020 - 07:49 PM.

#23 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:02 PM

RTech MIG180   25-180A   14kg   330x210x410   £475 (with TMF+ discount)  3yr warranty!

Unrelated (sort of) to the topic at hand, but I didn't know RTech were part of the TMF discount! That's very useful information as I'm creeping towards spending out on some new kit.

#24 STG95F

STG95F

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:24 PM

Any reviews on these machines , looks very good value for money ???

https://www.amazon.c...XBIKIKWVP&psc=1

https://www.mig-weld...ro-torch.88278/

Edited by STG95F, 02 December 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#25 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:37 PM

I recently purchased an Oxford, manufactured in the UK as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users