Photo

Will The 2030 Ban & Dash To Electric Cars Spell The End For Classics In Uk?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:55 PM

Not knowing anything about the electric system in domestic properties, surely there is ia limit to the amount of current that can be drawn.

The last few homes I've lived in have had a 100amp main fuse. Is that good for 19 kw? Some one correct me.

If a home owner has a 7kw or greater charger that doesn't leave a massive amount left over for things like electric showers, electric heating, electric cooking, etc

Have i got it completely wrong?

If you buy a very expensive charging point it has a sensor built in that calculates the rest of the house load, it then changes the charging point load to make sure it never exceeds the maximum rated KW that the house can supply. So if you have the cooker and the tumble dryer on the car charges slower than if nothings on.

Nobody's taken into account the banning of gas boilers soon for new builds, a typical gas boiler is about 8 - 10Kw, so to replace that with some form of green heat exchanger will still require maybe about 4Kw, add in everything else (say a peak of another 8Kw, electric shower and the tumble dryer) and you will have little capacity left for car charging in the daytime.

Yep nowhere near enough capacity. Gas boiler I just installed was 25kW combi.
I am just about to outfit a house with a heat as you use electric system. So 10kW shower. 6 kW basin. 6kW kitchen sink. So it only costs when you turn the tap on. No stored water at all. An electric combi needs 3 phase to get near to a gas combi equivalent
Gonna need some bigger windmills!

Family member had one done. First catch was the supply did next door too, pretty much universal in semis over much of an age. Fortunately they were the first in the chain, but that's still two houses & one charging point hanging off the end of a single cable that expected to only have a couple of ovens & immersion heathers over & above the ring mains.

#47 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:33 PM

This might be the future....  

Di Pietro Compressed Air Motor

They have Micro cars running in the South of France with compressed air technology - its a great way of storing the energy generated by solar or wind.

My mates son made a very small air piston engine to power a model plane ...

Now there is a certain man with Moke who on the Forum in that part of the world ...just saying!

Edited by DomCr250, 20 July 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#48 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

its a great way of storing the energy generated by solar or wind.

Is it really? I would assume that compressing enough air to do useful work (moving a car around) would lose so much energy to friction that compressed air engines would be on-par with IC engines in terms of efficiency.

There's a whole lot of maths to be done to work out the best way to use green energy. But I guess with compressed air, no matter how wasteful, the only non-renewables involved will be in the building of the energy collection systems and engines.

I started writing this with a mindset of 'Pffft, don't be silly' but I'm starting to think that compressed air could have a useful role to play (other than firing down your t-shirt to cool off in this weather!)

#49 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:09 PM

I am only a dimmo but it seems counter intuitive to build more stuff so we can make less stuff.Are the factories made of straw?does everyone building them and working there walk to work in recycled cardboard shoes?etc.Planting or promising to plant trees does not to me redress the balance.
A wind farm was built near me:fleets of new 8wheelers all driven like race cars.Thousands of tons of concrete and rebar,probably 18 months of site work and then the turbines themselves massive glassfibre? constructions with a limited shelf life.
Then as I look out of my house I can see dozens of stationary windmills.We got some plaques to show where the donations from the developer paid for local improvements.
Now we are having built a new gas fired power station to complement the existing gas fired one.
We need to do something but I cannot believe it is this.Sorry to rant,Steve..

#50 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

Or you will use an app on your chosen platform and a vehicle will come and pick you up ,drop you off and keep on doing this for all day etc.No ownership,no parking,no deaths?Plus other socially acceptable non specific benefits.Just a scenario,Steve..

About 25 years back, this is how I thought things would go in the cities. Traffic lights would be a thing of the past and the need for any insurance would all but just about disappear. Traffic jams and Peak hours too would be but a bad memory. Road works could be done at any time and so effected much faster and at a cheaper cost to the community. Your office work could start from the time you step in. The benefits go on and on. I haven't done the sums (and likely couldn't) but surely the cost to the end user would have to be cheaper.

Perhaps with the advent of these driverless vehicles that are being trialed, will be the start of this, however, I see in the interim the mix of drivered and driverless vehicles sharing the same roadway as a disaster on a grand scale, waiting to happen. I think it either needs to be all or nothing here.

#51 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:51 AM

Yes, it's information technology that offers the biggest potential through more efficient use of resources, whatever they are.

Another approach is putting the kinetic energy in to conduits and doing away with the (unitary) vehicles, or trams & trains as we know them. An awkward intro to posing the question what criteria makes mass transport more appealing to personal transport? You'd have to forget personal space and concentrate on speed & cost, but there must be a reasonably predictable relationship between passenger numbers and density of departure & destination points.

How frequent do services need to be for passengers not to bother with consulting a timetable? If you can master that you'll have taken a big chunk out of the personal transport advantage.

Brits like the concept of being "world beating" you'd think mastering both would be right up our street - just like trying to forecast the weather with masses of constantly changing variables.

#52 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:02 PM

We can't even run driverless trains ....

#53 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:47 PM

Since the advent of mobile phones and sat nav some cars have been driverless for some time,Steve..

#54 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:35 AM

DLR?

Would we really want to? 1 driver to even a few dozen passengers doesn't seem a prohibitive cost for a bit of added safety & insurance against a HAL 9000 situation  :unsure:

We can't all be personal shoppers, or dog walkers, when technology has taken over all the real jobs.

#55 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

Yes, it's information technology that offers the biggest potential through more efficient use of resources, whatever they are.

Another approach is putting the kinetic energy in to conduits and doing away with the (unitary) vehicles, or trams & trains as we know them. An awkward intro to posing the question what criteria makes mass transport more appealing to personal transport? You'd have to forget personal space and concentrate on speed & cost, but there must be a reasonably predictable relationship between passenger numbers and density of departure & destination points.

How frequent do services need to be for passengers not to bother with consulting a timetable? If you can master that you'll have taken a big chunk out of the personal transport advantage.

Brits like the concept of being "world beating" you'd think mastering both would be right up our street - just like trying to forecast the weather with masses of constantly changing variables.

I've had a home office / workshop from which I have run my businesses from since the early 80's and as far as offices go, I have never been able to work out or understand why people have ever needed remote offices, that is one where they need to leave home and drive 30 minutes to an hour to or similar in a bus or train. With the uptake and prevalence of the internet and personal computers, even more so. The pandemic we are presently in has (finally) shown this to be quite viable. I totally get that from time to time, face to face meetings are needed for which, then one does need to get out for.

So, have 80%+ of office workers work from home and bam, there's 50% of the traffic in peak times, gone. There's also been an encouragement to stagger peoples starting and work times here in recent years. It's had a very small uptake, but has made a fairly sizable impact.

Where it comes to workshops and site work, yes, I get that few can do that from home and not everyone wants that in any case.

DLR?

Would we really want to? 1 driver to even a few dozen passengers doesn't seem a prohibitive cost for a bit of added safety & insurance against a HAL 9000 situation  :unsure:

We can't all be personal shoppers, or dog walkers, when technology has taken over all the real jobs.

In quite recent years, we've had a few light rail system built around Sydney and there's more presently under construction. While I don't agree with it on moral and safety grounds, these are driverless. Some of these have been running around 3 or 4 years now and so far, as best I am aware, there's actually been no issues on a safety front with them. There's one I use a few times a year that takes me about 1/2 way to the airport (the other 1/2 is a conventional drivered train). The first couple of times, it was a novel experience, the acceleration rates I think for the mix of general public who use them is quite high (I'm surprised there's been no complaints) though that would be adjustable. These run as a 4 to 6 car train (maybe more in peak times ?), and there's not doors or dividers between carriages. I don't know if this is common anywhere else, but I gotta admit, I find it highly amusing, to the point where I nearly always board in either the front or rear so I can look the few hundred metres down it's length as it snakes it's way through, under and over suburbia. 

While successful, I would like to see driver's on these trains.

Getting well off topic here, I've felt for a very long time that there should be a moral cause for business and government departments to employ people. This idea of slimming and lean workforces is only choking itself. I also find it almost perverse that many big businesses locate one of their centres in to areas where land is cheap, set up shop, take from all the local resources, often bringing many and varied issues with them, employ very few and give little back to the community where they are sited, sending all financial profits elsewhere. I feel there's a moral obligation for these businesses to give back to the communities where they are and at the very least, one small way they can do this is to employ locals and in numbers above the blood from stone, high tech levels that they are all too often at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users