15 replies to this topic

#1 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:03 AM

Hi I have stripped my mini (no pun intended!!) and am looking to clean some of the threads, what should I be getting, rough size range and type?
Thanks as always.
Pete

#2 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:42 AM

The majority of the threads will be a range of imperial types - either UNF or UNC, but there are other types and some of the later Minis used some metric fixings. There will be someone long soon I have no doubt who will be able to give a more in depth answer  :D

#3 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:54 AM

Cheers I guess I am looking for a recommendation of a tap/die set ideally. Thanks

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:03 AM

I have this kit and find it really useful for cleaning up dirty or damaged threads

https://gb-jbtools.g...YRoCiXcQAvD_BwE

#5 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:04 AM

Buy a tap/die set of UNC/UNF threads and that will cover nearly all. As a quick guide any bolt that goes into aluminium is likely to be UNC (coarse thread) and any into steel/iron should be UNF (fine). There are a few places that  UNC is used into steel/iron as an exception.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

Have read https://www.theminif...-dies/?hl= taps

#7 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:42 PM

Superb thank you, should they all be imperial, obviously assuming no later mods have changed them.
Cheers
Pete

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:23 PM

there are no threads you would be chasing that are metric.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

Sets are handy and it keeps them all in one place, they have handles as well, however, you'll likely find that more than 1/2 the set you won't use.

If you pick up 1/4", 5/16" & 3/8" UNF Taps, they will cover 90% of the car. If you can, may as well get some die nuts in the same sizes, and maybe add 7/16" and 1/2" UNF to those.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hence the kit I linked to - both male and female thread chasers and thread files all in one box.

I prefer these to using taps and dies (especially split dies) as most original threads are rolled and therefore running a tap or die on them will remove more material, weakening what may already be a thread on its last legs!

#11 3VILC

3VILC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:53 AM

On this subject just anyone know what the bolts are that go in the rear of the front subframe (the ones that go thru the floorpan/firewall)?

#12 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies ordered an imperial set from Clarke arrived this morning has a reasonable range of sizes.
GraemeC that site looks good, lots of stuff I never knew I wanted so much!
Some items look like they are discounted to higher prices though...........
Seen the flank drive set by Astro Pneumatic, never heard of them, any good, the make that is.
I had a nut on stripping the mini I couldn’t shift and could feel it was on that point of rounding,
soaked it in easit oil, heated it tried all sorts, neighbour handed me a flank drive spanner to try.
At this point I was at the moment I should have walked away, if left to my own devices I had the angle grinder and slitting disc!
Gave it some wellie with the flank drive and it came loose, so really rate them, been on the look out for a set!
Again, thanks for all the replies.
Pete

#13 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies ordered an imperial set from Clarke arrived this morning has a reasonable range of sizes.
Seen the flank drive set by Astro Pneumatic, never heard of them, any good, the make that is.
I had a nut on stripping the mini I couldn’t shift and could feel it was on that point of rounding,
soaked it in easit oil, heated it tried all sorts, neighbour handed me a flank drive spanner to try.
At this point I was at the moment I should have walked away, if left to my own devices I had the angle grinder and slitting disc!
Gave it some wellie with the flank drive and it came loose, so really rate them, been on the look out for a set!
Pete

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

On this subject just anyone know what the bolts are that go in the rear of the front subframe (the ones that go thru the floorpan/firewall)?

5/16UNF, or any you like that fit as they have nuts.

#15 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:42 AM

Pete

i'd definitely recommend metrinch; i was given a set of sockets and spanners (3/8" to 3/4" iirc) 30+ years ago and am still using them now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, brakes, suspension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users