• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:08 PM

I think they only fitted the Inertia Cut Off Switch to the Injected Cars as the fuel from the tank is fed at a considerably higher pressure and there being a (perceived) higher risk of fire from that. Like Peter, I don't feel they are warranted on a Carb Car.

I think that's absolutely right Chris.
Inertia switch introduction seems to have coincided with the very high fuel pressures in modern injection systems, especially in common-rail systems where I believe 150 bar pressure can be used.
When I prepared my Rover 214Si for rallying the first thing I did was to disable the inertia switch. Then I did a rally and whilst refuelling in the middle of the night a Peugeot was towed in. I asked what the problem was. The driver said that the engine had just stopped. The bonnet was open so I pressed the reset on the inertia switch, told the driver to try it and it burst into life! All he had done was to go over a big bump on a bumpy road.

Edited by Cooperman, 05 January 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#17 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:34 AM

On my Carb'd Racer running an electric fuel pump we were only required to have a single kill switch that could be operated inside or outside the car and it should kill all electrcs... we had a completely separate and independant switch / lever that would set off the onboard fire extinguisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users