20 replies to this topic

#16 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:34 AM

It’s not strange, and I doubt it will change, it’s designed so people can’t make money out of old reg numbers on old V5Cs for vehicles that don’t exist. This means only the Government can “reclaim” those numbers, and they auction them off.

As a side note, even if you pay thousands for a good short Reg number, you never “own it” only the right to put it on your vehicle. The DVLA can withdraw it at anytime.

Edited by beardylondon, 14 January 2021 - 08:38 AM.

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:22 PM

Potential loophole???

What happens if a car is registered as historic so it no longer needs an MoT????

I could imagine number plate transfers could be overlooked by someone drafting the legislation. But I also can't imagine it taking long for someone to chance their arm with their kitchen drawer car collection.

Suppose you'd have to insure an old V5 to find out  :unsure:

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

Doesn't make any difference, if it hasn't had an MOT in last 5 years, you are out of luck, DVLA won't recognise the reg as eligible for transfer.

Plus insuring a vehicle that doesn’t exist is fraud.

Potential loophole???

What happens if a car is registered as historic so it no longer needs an MoT????

I could imagine number plate transfers could be overlooked by someone drafting the legislation. But I also can't imagine it taking long for someone to chance their arm with their kitchen drawer car collection.

Suppose you'd have to insure an old V5 to find out :unsure:

Edited by beardylondon, 14 January 2021 - 12:34 PM.

#19 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

From Gov.uk:

The vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
  • be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
  • be available for inspection

DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

However it does state on the website this is for "private (personalised) number plates" - I don't know if trying to remove a standard issue registration has the same rules, but most probably.

The legislation must have changed recently as it was always a requirement that the vehicles had to have an MoT, not just be of a class that needed one. Maybe this is to cut down on people getting dodgy garages to 'MoT' a V5?!  Although that is harder (or more risky) now the MoT system is computerised and the authorities can see as soon as a vehicle is booked onto the system for test.

Edited by GraemeC, 14 January 2021 - 12:49 PM.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

DVLA will..... contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

Will they accept a photocopy?  :P

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

Doesn't make any difference, if it hasn't had an MOT in last 5 years, you are out of luck, DVLA won't recognise the reg as eligible for transfer.

Plus insuring a vehicle that doesn’t exist is fraud.

Potential loophole???

Suppose you'd have to insure an old V5 to find out :unsure:

It'd only be fraud if you intended to gain or deprive someone else of something, not sure what that'd in the case of a non existent car. But, getting a policy terminated wouldn't be great anyway....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users