#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:40 PM

I'll have to study form when I drop the lump in. I've added another picture showing the fuel pipe alongside the hydro pipe.

Thanks for the photo of the DSN Nick.

Your fuel pipe my need a few bends. But now I know what your routing is Iike. I can get more pics. But I would still buy and change the brakes slightly.

#17 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:45 PM

I'll have to study form when I drop the lump in. I've added another picture showing the fuel pipe alongside the hydro pipe.

Thanks for the photo of the DSN Nick.

Your fuel pipe my need a few bends. But now I know what your routing is Iike. I can get more pics. But I would still buy and change the brakes slightly.

I've just sent an email to DSN asking if they could supply a template for the bulkhead plate so I'll see what they say. I don't want to move the fuel pipe but I could put a 90 bend in it. Let you know what DSN say.

#18 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:28 PM

DSN were not willing to give me any template or measurements of the bulkhead plate, just that I could buy one of their steady bars. Not much help.

#19 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:54 PM

Scared you'll make a counterfeit copy no doubt  :dozing:

For 120 squid I'd be be modding what you already have. Is that a bolt on bracket for the pipes? you could make a single plate for all 3.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:57 PM

DSN were not willing to give me any template or measurements of the bulkhead plate, just that I could buy one of their steady bars. Not much help.

Basically it mounts on the three inboard holes. The bracket is designed to hold the nuts or Bolts captive in it if your bracket for the fuel and suspension are to the right of the third stud hole you are good. I can get pics at the weekend but black on black does not show well. If you put up a straight down pic of yours I am 99.9999% sure I will be able to tell you if it possible.

#21 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:23 PM

Basically it mounts on the three inboard holes. The bracket is designed to hold the nuts or Bolts captive in it if your bracket for the fuel and suspension are to the right of the third stud hole you are good. I can get pics at the weekend but black on black does not show well. If you put up a straight down pic of yours I am 99.9999% sure I will be able to tell you if it possible.

Currently don't have access to the shell until next Monday so I'll take a [photo then and put it up.

#22 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 07:46 PM

does this help - tape measure isn't very clear, but on my car the right hand side of the bracket that projects forward of the bulkhead is c.11cm from where the inner wing stiffener meets the top of the bulkhead

D3bzo64.jpg

..with the plate that sits under the steady bracket, the bracket sits about 1/2" above the top of the bulkhead which should give a little more room to route the fuel pipe

hfM5Zuc.jpg

#23 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:20 PM

Just as a follow up on this subject. I contacted DSN and any other supplier that I could find and none offered a steady bar that would fit a hydro car on the LH side. DSN said that they hadn't considered hydro cars in their design. Moss said that they thought their water pump steady bar would likely fit but it doesn't without jamming up against the hydro union and forcing it out of position. I'm going to contact them to see if they could modify their bulkhead plate to overcome this problem.
Just like to thank Spider for his input on this and pictures of his own bulkhead plates he's made for Mokes for thermostat plate fixing.

Until I can drop an engine in for positioning I'm going to pause this problem.

First thing, that solid hydro pipe seems pretty well crushed from the photo, but why don't you just make a bracket that works with your pipework, I would have thought a simple H shape welded to the existing bracket you have with the 2 legs either side of the hydro pipe to hold the joint from the thermostat tie bar.

Shooter

#24 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 02:42 PM

Had an email back fron DSN. They're going to send me a bracket to try and I'll pay postage. Can't be fairer than that really.

#25 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 02:48 PM

Shooter, that pipe is a little crushed. I bought the 2 pipes from m-machine and they didn't fit at the front so I tried to rejig the bends. If the hydro fluid doesn't flow properly then I'll have to replace the front section. I did cut both hydro pipes underneath and fit compressed brass connectors, just in case.

#26 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

Had an email back fron DSN. They're going to send me a bracket to try and I'll pay postage. Can't be fairer than that really.

And they will also have the info.

#27 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 06:52 PM

Shooter, that pipe is a little crushed. I bought the 2 pipes from m-machine and they didn't fit at the front so I tried to rejig the bends. If the hydro fluid doesn't flow properly then I'll have to replace the front section. I did cut both hydro pipes underneath and fit compressed brass connectors, just in case.

Funny enough that's exactly what I was going to suggest, I think all the available hydro pipes suffer from not being that special.

Shooter

#28 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 01:59 PM

Had a confirmation email from DSN this morning saying they'll be sending me just the bulkhead bracket to try. Just the job.

#29 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 02:01 PM

does this help - tape measure isn't very clear, but on my car the right hand side of the bracket that projects forward of the bulkhead is c.11cm from where the inner wing stiffener meets the top of the bulkhead

D3bzo64.jpg

..with the plate that sits under the steady bracket, the bracket sits about 1/2" above the top of the bulkhead which should give a little more room to route the fuel pipe

hfM5Zuc.jpg

Lovely clear pictures, thanks.

#30 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:12 PM

The DSN bracket arrived today. It fits fine but the fuel pipe comes up in the middle of it which means I'd have to bend it 90 degrees or move it to clear the bracket and bar.

I tried the Moss water pump version as well and tightened it down. This actually works without fouling either the hydro pipe or the fuel pipe so I'm going with this one. I might modify the plate end by adding a top bracket so that the cotton reel is supported top and bottom.

Posting the DSN bracket back tomorrow. They have been extremely helpful and it just cost me postage both ways.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users