Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

This is the back of an S block. Tappet covers
attachicon.gif 20201227_144029.jpg

I believe some of the last mk3 S engines used the 1300GT solid block.

I've got a thick flange replacement BL S engine from about 1974 and that has tappet covers.

Could well be a reconditioned old unit.

Indeed.  I checked engine numbers and some MK3s did have solid walls

#17 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

1275 cc
Solid wall block with no tappet chest covers
12G/Ta/H        ADO17 shape Wolseley, Riley, MG & Vanden Plas fitted with S conrods
12H379           1275GT with dynamo, negative earth, electric fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H380           1275GT with alternator, negative earth, electric fuel pump and remote  gearbox
12H389           1275GT with dynamo, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H390            1275GT with alternator, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H706            1275GT alternator, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and rod change gearbox
12H397            Cooper S Mk3 with dynamo and negative earth
12H398            Cooper S Mk3 with alternator and negative earth
12H/-/               Austin 1300 ADO16 & Allegro
12H610/635     Innocenti Mini with duplex cam drive gears and 11-stud head
12H719/832     Innocenti Mini with simplex cam drive gears and 11-stud head

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

Whilst all of the above is right, I would be worried about the fact that it has been bored to 1380 cc (allegedly).

It also has a 300 degree cam. This means a lot of revs are going to be needed and that will mean higher than average bore wear.

Since you don't know how many miles it has already done, nor how well the bore to 1380 was done and whether the correct offset-boring was carried out, if/hen it next needs a re-bore, it may well need a replacement block. At the least, a special set of cylinder liners will be required.

For that sort of money I would expect a very original or 'period modified' 998 Cooper in top condition.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:09 AM

1275 cc
Solid wall block with no tappet chest covers
12G/Ta/H        ADO17 shape Wolseley, Riley, MG & Vanden Plas fitted with S conrods
12H379           1275GT with dynamo, negative earth, electric fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H380           1275GT with alternator, negative earth, electric fuel pump and remote  gearbox
12H389           1275GT with dynamo, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H390            1275GT with alternator, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and remote gearbox
12H706            1275GT alternator, negative earth, mechanical fuel pump and rod change gearbox
12H397            Cooper S Mk3 with dynamo and negative earth
12H398            Cooper S Mk3 with alternator and negative earth
12H/-/               Austin 1300 ADO16 & Allegro
12H610/635     Innocenti Mini with duplex cam drive gears and 11-stud head
12H719/832     Innocenti Mini with simplex cam drive gears and 11-stud head

To add some more,,,,

These are all S Spec Engines in a Solid Tappet Chest Block, that were assembled in the UK, imported by our Local Factory for Production

1206/           (Australian) Clubman GT from late Nov 1971

1208/           Short Engine to the above Spec.

1207/           Clubman GT Highway Patrol   (the 'Highway Patrol modifications were carried out locally with Cylinder Heads supplied by Lynx Engineering)
1209/           Short Engine to the above Spec.

#20 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Why would you believe that? Time and time again it gets mentioned and every time it is wrong - the result of lazy cutting and pasting. The Mk 3 S never had a solid back block from the factory.

#21 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:20 PM

why has it got a rad inner wing on the clutch side?

i THOUGHT THE SAME NEVER SEEN THIS

#22 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:22 PM

Not true

#23 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Why would you believe that? Time and time again it gets mentioned and every time it is wrong - the result of lazy cutting and pasting. The Mk 3 S never had a solid back block from the factory.

Yes your correct no mk3 s had sold blocks

#24 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 03 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

only solid block 1300 Coopers were the Innocenti 1300 Cooper (Export). Sadly they didn't get proper S-blocks but there's nothing wrong with the 1300GT block in there to be honest. 

#25 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

Ok, how about this one. I have the opportunity to buy a bit of a project. It’s a barn find. A 73 Aussie Leyland Mini Clubman GT. One of the 200 odd Australian built GTs that were sold to the NZ market out of the 1200 total built. It hasn’t been stored properly but I think I can get the shell fixed up. What I’m not sure about is all the components.

Has anyone got any thoughts on derusting all the trim/components that can’t be easily replaced. A lot of the Aussie GT parts are unique. And any thoughts on how components like brake servos, master cylinders, SUs, hydroelastic bits go just sitting there. Surface rust I can deal with but do you think the internals will be recoverable.

I’m ok with a long project and a full strip down and polish repair as. Much as possible when a rebuild kit is available. Likely I would probably go to dry suspension frame for now and see if the hydro could be restored, but I’m not familiar with wet suspension at all.

It has matching engine and chassis numbers. All original.

Thoughts? Am I crazy.

But at the end you may get something like the blue one.

Attached Files

#26 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Looks like a lot of work and expense would be needed to bring it back to its former glory, but that Aussie GT would be a great project, and a very desirable car once restored. Personally I'd have that over a Cooper / S!

#27 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:57 PM

what's not to like :  it's an original, complete, matching numbers, low production run model, (..and does it have an S motor ?)

great project for someone, and for the reasons above, likely to hold it's value very well

#28 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:22 AM

I think just the very early 1971 versions had a the taper cover rear s engine. The 73 have the 1206 engine which are a solid rear block but where still more powerful than the British 1275gt. Still 7.5in brakes, twin tanks and carbs, etc.

It will come with a mint no rust other 73 Aussie gt shell that could be used immediately if the original shell needed too much work or couldn’t be restored. Would be nice to keep the engine with the shell.

Still not sure about what the internal condition of components will be. I think all I can do is make sure the engine turns over and then assume the engine is able to be rebuilt.

#29 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

I’ve never been a massive clubman fan, but I do love the stripes and decals on the Aussie and s.african GTs

#30 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

It could go either way when you drag it out of where its stored, but at first glance is looks very restorable and is far from falling apart.

Most of the mechanical components can be replaced or restored relatively easily.  The unique trim parts can nearly always be made presentable enough to be used, then its a a new hobby of regularly scouring the ads for better ones.  There may only have been 1200 made, but its surprising how easily parts turn up when you're determined enough.

I don't know the regulations on using a secondhand shell in your country, but if it comes with a mint shell then I would say it is a no brainer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users