40 replies to this topic

#16 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:53 AM

got some goodies in the post yesterday meaning i can get on and rebuild the brakes and hubs as well as put the engine back together when the crank comes back

Attached Files

#17 Blake71

Blake71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

Cracking job and an interesting thread.  :-)

#18 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:39 PM

Is the Disney Cross Stitch a definite requirement for this restoration? 

#19 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

Is the Disney Cross Stitch a definite requirement for this restoration?

A definite requirement for every mini rebuild I thought 🤣🤣

#20 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:19 AM

this weekend saw me doing all the jobs I didn't want to do mainly reconnecting up the brake and clutch master cylinders which was a struggle but its lucky I'm small, while I was struggling the mrs painted the wheel arches. I also rebuilt the brake calipers and one of the hubs.

Attached File  IMG_20210214_145925.jpg   63.94K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20210214_161319.jpg   67.19K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20210214_145913.jpg   87.41K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20210214_161236.jpg   65.13K   0 downloads

not having done ball joint shimming before im just going on it being stiff but not locked up but im sure someone will correct me id im wrong

Attached File  IMG_20210214_161259.jpg   73.27K   0 downloads

Edited by george_hill, 15 February 2021 - 08:35 AM.

#21 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:47 PM

Progress today, some more parts painted, the cover for the heater hose was bolted down with stanless bolts so they dont rust again, i made some new brake lines, i fitted the shock mounts and took off the diff covers and found the oil hole in the bronze bush no lined up with the port so it was never going to survive. I also received a recurved 65d dizzy from AC Dodd and a coil to go with it.

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 20 February 2021 - 06:48 PM.

#22 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

Great work mate! When are you hoping to have it back on the road? Are you going to machine the Diff cover bush yourself? I've machined quite a few of them and none of the original bushes have ever lined up with the slot.

#23 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:47 AM

Great work mate! When are you hoping to have it back on the road? Are you going to machine the Diff cover bush yourself? I've machined quite a few of them and none of the original bushes have ever lined up with the slot.

Thanks. I'm hoping to have it back on the road for maybe a months time Ive booked for riviera so hopefully that happens this year. I'm still debating on the covers. I worked in a tool room for 6 months last year but I'm not sure about doing foreigners as it's not really a done thing there.

#24 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

What shape is your sister's car in, is it needing as much work too?

#25 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

What shape is your sister's car in, is it needing as much work too?

Hers looks better as it was resprayed recently but they didn't do anything to the underneath so I dread to think what's under it. Generally I think it's had a lack of real care considering we tried to adjust the valve clearance and couldn't undo the nuts I also dread to think how long it had been before the oil was changed before we did it. So overall mine has shabbier paint but runs better and hers looks good but doesn't run very well

#26 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:59 PM

Thanks. I'm hoping to have it back on the road for maybe a months time Ive booked for riviera so hopefully that happens this year. I'm still debating on the covers. I worked in a tool room for 6 months last year but I'm not sure about doing foreigners as it's not really a done thing there.

Oh yeah, I think we'll be lucky if Riv Run does go ahead, would be nice though! Ah right, Have you measured what size they are currently compared to the pot joints? the bore should be a thou bigger than the pot joint. Give me a shout if you need a hand with them

#27 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:03 AM

Oh yeah, I think we'll be lucky if Riv Run does go ahead, would be nice though! Ah right, Have you measured what size they are currently compared to the pot joints? the bore should be a thou bigger than the pot joint. Give me a shout if you need a hand with them

the pot joints are the right size but i haven't had time to measure the bores yet

#28 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

only a small bit of progress yesterday. managed to get the cones and lower arms in.

Attached Files

#29 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:03 AM

the pot joints are the right size but i haven't had time to measure the bores yet

not as bad as i thought but still not great

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 23 February 2021 - 11:05 AM.

#30 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:08 AM

not much done this weekend due to still waiting on the crankshaft. been told till be done by Wednesday but we will see. only thing i did was get the bottom arms and tie bars back in. 

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 03 March 2021 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users