40 replies to this topic

#31 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

made some really good progress with the engine this weekend. got the crank back friday which was the final part I was waiting for. I then set about adding the oil pump, timing chain, putting the engine back on the gearbox, push rods, head, rocker shaft, tappet chest covers, fuel pump and oil filter housing

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 30 March 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#32 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:00 AM

this weekend just consisted of more engine building. biggest thing slowing me down was trying to find all the parts id put away 2 months ago I had also lost the spacer that goes in-between the water pump and the fan pulley so a new one will have to be ordered.  engine is going to go back in the car next weekend 

ive also booked to go on minis in the gorge and am looking at beaulieu and gaydon as possibilites

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 15 March 2021 - 08:49 AM.

#33 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

Nice to see someone else as well organised as me, things can't go any lower than the floor so it's impossible to loose them ;D

#34 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

Nice to see someone else as well organised as me, things can't go any lower than the floor so it's impossible to loose them ;D

my dad hates the mess i get into in the garage but if i tidied away after every job i did then id never get anything done  :D

#35 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:15 PM

Someone who understands me at last :highfive:

#36 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:07 AM

made some really good progress this weekend, engine went in with nearly everything bolted back on, front suspension is all back together. the bit i am struggling on now is trying to bleed the new yellow master cylinder. i cant get any fluid moving through the system but that will be next weeks problem now.

Attached Files

#37 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:33 AM

Saturday was the day the engine would start for the first time in 6 months. i first turned the engine over with no plugs in to build up some oil pressure. then tried for real. it took a few changes with the dizzy to get it to fire up but it spluttered to life, after that i left it till Sunday when i timed it properly and took it out for a spin round the cul-de-sac, to my amazement there aren't any bad noises or oil leaks yet. The engine also feels strong from the short drive i did. only problems are now i cant seem to figure out where i have air trapped in the brake system, the speedo now doesn't work and i now need a longer vacuum advance pipe. but i ran out of time to figure them out on Sunday. other than those things its just bonnet and grille back on and get it aligned and hopefully im away. 

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 29 March 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#38 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:14 AM

Your sister will want you to do hers next..

#39 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:18 AM

Your sister will want you to do hers next..

i need to get it running properly first. i suspect the ducellier distributor is not quite doing its job properly as the timing is somewhat inconsistent. im going to swap it for the 59d that came out of mine and see if that makes a difference to the pinking and overheating issue.

#40 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

This weekend was spent trying and failing to bleed the brakes again. I'm going to get a new rear wheel cylinder and try next week. I also sorted out the speedo, I don't think the drive was correct in the gearbox so that was easy enough to sort. I also put the bonnet back on and took her for a drive round the block to see if everything worked which it seemed to so that's promising. I also gave her a good wash and a polish, she's still scratched with rust patches but it looks better than it did

Attached Files

Edited by george_hill, 05 April 2021 - 08:28 PM.

#41 george_hill

george_hill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

the last two weekends were spent fettling out the small bits that still needed doing. I managed to bleed the brakes at last after replacing one of the bleed nipples, i also fitted the fresh air pipe on the offside of the car. I then replaced the distributor in WBU with the one that came out of my car and realized that the when timing it the timing mark on the crank pully doesn't line up with top dead center so that will need sorting. i also managed to pick up a black grill, got my mate to blast it and then I painted it.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users