• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

I had exactly that on a 1275 'S' and it ws DGS (Dirt, grit & s***) in th pressure relief valve. That was despite a thorough clean of everything before final assembly.

That needs to be the first thing to check.

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:41 AM

I had exactly that on a 1275 'S' and it ws DGS (Dirt, grit & s***) under the pressure relief valve seat. That was despite a thorough clean of everything before final assembly.

#18 84sprite

84sprite

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:49 AM

If Changing the oil filter, I use Mann or Framm filters, I'd then check for flow to the head

Cal844
It’s a brand new MG Rover one that I fitted on rebuild

#19 84sprite

84sprite

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:51 AM

I had exactly that on a 1275 'S' and it ws DGS (Dirt, grit & s***) under the pressure relief valve seat. That was despite a thorough clean of everything before final assembly.

Cooperman 

yeah I think this will be the first check this evening - I really don’t want to pull the engine unless i really have no other option

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

If you initially had pressure it is unlikely to be a build issue. The rubber ring is not easy to distort and even withour the ring, it is unlikely the pressure would go to zero.

The symptons are exactly what you would expect with a stuck relief valve. When mine happened it was on the first rally after building the engine. At normal tickover when hot it was reading virtually zero, but when revved over 4000 rpm it climbed to 50+ psi and at 6000 rpm it was 75 psi. On removing the plunger, which was hard to get out as it was partly jammed by a small piece of swarf, it was obvious that it had stuck in the open position. Cleaned up the bore and seat for the plunger, polished the plunger with 1500 wet & dry, then with 'Brasso' and it was fine. I also put a small washer under the spring to slightly increase the spring load.

I'm fairly sure that is your problem. I guess you were only using quite low revs at the time.

Good luck with it.

#21 84sprite

84sprite

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:44 AM

If you initially had pressure it is unlikely to be a build issue. The rubber ring is not easy to distort and even withour the ring, it is unlikely the pressure would go to zero.

The symptons are exactly what you would expect with a stuck relief valve. When mine happened it was on the first rally after building the engine. At normal tickover when hot it was reading virtually zero, but when revved over 4000 rpm it climbed to 50+ psi and at 6000 rpm it was 75 psi. On removing the plunger, which was hard to get out as it was partly jammed by a small piece of swarf, it was obvious that it had stuck in the open position. Cleaned up the bore and seat for the plunger, polished the plunger with 1500 wet & dry, then with 'Brasso' and it was fine. I also put a small washer under the spring to slightly increase the spring load.

I'm fairly sure that is your problem. I guess you were only using quite low revs at the time.

Good luck with it.

Thanks cooperman 

yeah It was only running to first set the ignition timing - it dropped to about 20psi during this .... then out the gate up the road so was running at low revs for 10 mins then upto about 3000 rpm to check gear changes that’s when I noticed it had dropped to 0

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

Alternatively it could simply be the gauge. Do you have a low-pressure warning light as well as a gauge. Either fit a low-press warning light, or check the gauge on another vehicle. That's after removing the plunger and checking for DGS in the bore/seat.

#23 84sprite

84sprite

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:56 AM

Alternatively it could simply be the gauge. Do you have a low-pressure warning light as well as a gauge. Either fit a low-press warning light, or check the gauge on another vehicle. That's after removing the plunger and checking for DGS in the bore/seat.

I had the low pressure light wired while testing the engine out of the vehicle .. but since fitting the engine I didn’t wire it up because I had other wiring that needed doing to start from key and thought I could rely on the gauge.. it’s only a couple of wires so will wire it up 

#24 84sprite

84sprite

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

Ok all ... I took the relief valve out ... all looked clean and good ... connected the pressure light and reseated the valve .. took out plugs and ran on starter still no pressure so I took the pipe off the back of the gauge and tuned her over again ... a bit of spluttering from the pipe and then a steady stream of oil and the light went out ... reconnected the pipe to the gauge and 60ish psi ... so all I can put it down to was a blockage in the pipe

Light on no pressure before starting on starter motor
Attached File  76E780B0-606A-4F0F-AFB2-370ABCF32218.jpeg   46.36K   5 downloads
Light off turning over on starter motor
Attached File  EF1EA995-9DCF-42D8-B99F-CFADCF8149B0.jpeg   38.4K   4 downloads

Edited by 84sprite, 06 May 2021 - 10:42 PM.

#25 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:40 PM

Air in the pipe preventing it reading. Was there oil flow to the rocker assembly?

#26 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

Air in the pipe preventing it reading. Was there oil flow to the rocker assembly?

Air in the pipe makes no difference to the pressure read. A blockage would.

#27 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

Air in the pipe makes no difference to the pressure read. A blockage would.

That's true, my apologies.

#28 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:00 PM

Well done, problem sorted with no need to do anything serious.

#29 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:28 AM

That's excellent news. I was about to ask if you had used any of the dreaded blue roll while building up the motor to temporary block up any openings.
But panic over, carry on and enjoy 👍

#30 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:58 PM

I'm thinking of fitting a low oil pressure buzzer -

when driving , the oil light isn't really that noticeable , I tend to look for pot holes now a days & other cars

a buzzer would let me know instantly that something is wrong , either that or a fog light oil light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users