27 replies to this topic

#1 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hey Guy's...Willie here....Just wondering if any of you have turboed there Busa lumps ????? I'm doing a Stage 2 build up for about 450 plus hp.....Was just kind of looking for a heads up on a few things I might want to doing and looking out for.....Intercooler ???? If so do you have it plumbed in in the frt. or back by the lump...
Thanks..........Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
PS: Just got my frt. subby from Chris and put er together Sunday.....Looks pretty sweet and might just do the job....

#2 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

There have been a few turbos done before. Huddlesfield Mini Spares own a few and the original one done via Holeshot Racing and Z cars.

#3 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Bestestest'ssssss....I'm allways up for ideas.....2 heads are allways better then 1 ...

Willie Willie Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................

#4 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

I'm no expert but i dont think you could get away with mounting the intercooler in the front.

The futhur the air has to travel betweeen the turbo and the inlet, the more lag you will feel and the more change the air has to cool down and expand, leading to a problem with pre-detonation (its got a name, i cant remember it)

But at the same time, you ideally dont want to mount the intercooler very close to the engine because of the engine being a major heat source. And also you want a good airflow into and out of the intercooler.

I only know that because i know a peep with an impreza who was gonna get a front mounted intercooler, but the guy at the tuning place said unless your running big power and need a huge intercooler, the normal one will be fine.

Hope it helps :-

Hyabusa turbo mini - thats my dream :) good luck, but think about this, why have one turbo hyabusa when you can have two :thumbsup: :w00t:

Edited by JetBLICK, 06 November 2006 - 10:05 PM.

#5 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

TURBO HAYABUSA!!!!!

You mean like this one.....................

Posted Image
Posted Image

:w00t: :) :-

Cheers

#6 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

Now thats what I'm talking about....I'm getting all warm and fuzzy all over just looking at er..Great set up...Do you have fans blowing on the intercooler from air thats being ducted in from outside the car??? And or do you have this monster up and running allready ???????????

Thanks and Cheers Mate........Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............
PS: I going to put that pic. above my head board..............

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

markrally.. that looks really really nice... how much are those to buy roughly?

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

The Z Cars kit will be about 6k I think? Then the engine would probably be another 3k?

#9 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

When I was at the NEC bike show Big CC had a ZZR1400 fully turbo'd up. That would make a mental mini build if that was stuck in the front or back

#10 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

I was in TY croes (the anglesey race circuit) a while back and Z Cars were testing/setting-up a 1500cc turbod 'busa engined mini , NOTHING and i mean NOTHING could touch it

#11 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:48 AM

Fair play, sounds like a proper weapon :w00t:

#12 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

Man...I wish you had a vidio of that monster tearing it up...It has to be way cool....That rod must make passengers soil there britches....Thats what I'm going for........450 plus hp ???? Now thats what I'm talking about...This will shut down alot of unsuspecting motorist who think they can over take a little Mini..Bahhah.

Willie Willie Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....( Big Smile )

#13 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

I love the sticker on the back of the Huddersfield spares busa-

"Never underestimate a Mini"

Damn right!

#14 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

you could use pipe ducting from the polly carb windows? to the intercooler or a roof scoop put holes into the boot or something so the air will pass outside, or if possible lowwer the cooler down bellow the engine(if theres room) and duckt up some air to it

#15 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hey Willie,

When we talked last I think I mentioned that a few of the Stateside Corvette tuners do a rear mount turbo system for the C5 and C6 Vette....with the exhaust plumbing running from the headers to the rear of the car, the turbos are then put where the silencers were, back up to the front to an intercooler and then to the intake.

They claim WAY less than 1PSI drop across the entire system, with the net effect of all that pipe being a positive one as far as HP, with the passive cooling effect of the pipe being better than +25HP.

As far as turbo lag goes, I have it on good authority that there is none...as long as the turbos are light enough to spool up quickly in the first place.

Turn the above around 180deg (sort of) in your case with the turbo at the header, and the turbo outlet feeding a front mounted intercooler and the intercooler feeding the intake back at the motor, and you'll probably have not much more than 1/2 the pipe length of the Vette system given the vehicle size differences, passive cooling to boot with the tubing, and a very efficient cooler intercooler.

ZZZOOOOOM!

Here's a link from one of teh better Vette systems. Catch the show on Horsepower TV and you'll be sold on teh concept.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

Cheers,

Monte

Hey Guy's...Willie here....Just wondering if any of you have turboed there Busa lumps ????? I'm doing a Stage 2 build up for about 450 plus hp.....Was just kind of looking for a heads up on a few things I might want to doing and looking out for.....Intercooler ???? If so do you have it plumbed in in the frt. or back by the lump...
Thanks..........Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
PS: Just got my frt. subby from Chris and put er together Sunday.....Looks pretty sweet and might just do the job....

Edited by Monte Busa, 15 November 2006 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users