Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

ahem

facebook doesnt seem so good now does it??!! :D :D

It’s funny, I was thinking the same! I’ve not known a website/service of such prominence have an outage of this magnitude for years.

#32 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

And just shows you how many platforms are actually affected.

#33 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 October 2021 - 09:53 PM

"WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook have all gone down in a major outage. The three apps – which are all owned by Facebook, and run on shared infrastructure – stopped working shortly before 5pm. Other related products, such as Facebook Messenger and Workplace, have also stopped working.
At time of writing, it is unclear what has caused the issue...."

As outage continues into fifth hour, Facebook tries to restart....

"There are rumours whipping around the internet that, among other things, Facebook has been “deleted”, that it has been “hacked”, that is has “gone”. The truth appears to be a little less dramatic – though still plenty dramatic.

Essentially, Facebook has deleted its DNS, or the address book that helps people find its websites. When someone types “Facebook.com” into a web browser, the DNS should be able to provide it with the numerical address to get the data that represents the website. But that DNS is broken, so the web browser gets lost, and you get an error message. (The same thing happens, effectively, with the app, although not in such an obvious way.)

That’s so widespread because Facebook controls its DNS. And Facebook does that on behalf of all the services it owns: WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger, Workplace, Oculus, and more besides. So everything has broken, all at once.

What’s more, Facebook also heavily relies on its own systems internally. So, for example, the fact the DNS isn’t working means that those engineers who should be able to fix it also can’t access it. That’s why staffers are now reportedly being sent to actual physical data centres to try and make things work again. And that’s where we are now.

To borrow an analogy from earlier, it is as if we (or our web browsers) have turned up at the Facebook office in the hope of getting into one of its many rooms. But the receptionist who usually keeps the record of which room is which is gone – they’ve been deleted – and so you’re stuck outside with no idea where to go.

Inside those rooms are not only Facebook but every Facebook property, which together makes up much of the internet. And all the people who would normally be able to hire a new receptionist can’t find their way around the building, too. We’re all stuck outside, looking in, even those people who would normally be on the inside.

It’s now been five hours since Facebook lost its receptionist. And there’s no sense when they’ll return.

This latest outage of WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook (including Facebook Messenger and Facebook Workplace) highlights that global outages are one of the major downsides of a centralised system. Centralised apps, like having a single back end for Facebook products, means putting 'all the eggs in one basket.' Decentralised systems are far more reliable. There's no single point of failure so they can withstand significant disruption and still keep people and businesses communicating."

Twitter slows down.

"Everything is having a bit of trouble, presumably as many more people than usual switch to it to make up for lack of Facebook. Like Telegram, Twitter is struggling."

https://www.independ...t-b1932071.html

I always said forums were better.... :lol:

Edited by mab01uk, 04 October 2021 - 10:20 PM.

#34 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:33 AM

Baby boom next July.

#35 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:01 AM

Any reporting of the FB outage as a DNS failure is incorrect, it was a BGP error (accidentally or malicious, not known yet). Because FB also host their own authoritative name servers, knocking their IP ranges off the internet made it appear like a DNS issue.

#36 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:25 AM

One day FB will disappear up it's own backside - the algorithm will delete itself.

#37 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

One day FB will disappear up it's own backside - the algorithm will delete itself.

That’s not necessarily a good thing, where will the retards reside?

#38 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

Any reporting of the FB outage as a DNS failure is incorrect, it was a BGP error (accidentally or malicious, not known yet). Because FB also host their own authoritative name servers, knocking their IP ranges off the internet made it appear like a DNS issue.

Icey your post has me chuckling I have absolutely have no idea what your banging on about and i don't even care!

When the phone system goes down, 2 tin cans and a bit of string and i'm your man!

#39 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

I do not "do" Facebook(dont actually do anything really)but why the hate?As with most things there is the amazing OFF switch.Dont like?dont do,Or am I too old to know better,Leave it to the young uns eh?.Steve..

#40 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

I think local Facebook groups have got a lot to do with the petrol stations being emptied for apparently no reason.

#41 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:47 PM

Icey your post has me chuckling I have absolutely have no idea what your banging on about and i don't even care!

When the phone system goes down, 2 tin cans and a bit of string and i'm your man!

I googled BGP error and got this: -

https://metro.co.uk/...lions-15365867/

which I think supports my previous comment about where FB will eventually end up. The bit about engineers communicating by email must have scared them!!

#42 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:21 PM

I only just found this thread.

I'd agree with and echo just about everything you guys have said.

Faceache is here today, gone tomorrow, it has a very cheap feel to it and I've read so much of the worst advise there where it comes to car stuff. People seem to have no difficulty in posting up such rubbish as there's next to no accountability and that I think has something to do with what attracts people to it, though not the only reason.

I think on a forum, there's a much better chance of building a persona, and that people will invest the time to upload pictures etc on to a forum says something about the better quality of a forum, this to in part, reflects the quality of the people between the two platforms in my mind. I'd say 80% of the car rubbish that's posted on faceache and 'gotten away with' wouldn't last 5 minutes on a forum due to the accountability from other members as well as the moderators.

#43 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:31 AM

I agree FB has caused a shift away from traditional forums, but maybe not that bad a one.

The issue you have is that all forms of Social media are often driven by people who shout the loudest, but not always the most logical.

Consider this - years ago on here we had a few individuals who went out of their way to wind up people - with FB they have found a new outlet for their frustrations, so we get logical, well thought out content and social media can put up with the muppets!

Not a bad trade I think?

#44 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:30 PM

The other aspect with Faceache is that the subject material is infinitely broad, so the know it alls can mouth off about how the Vax is a way of being Tracked and the Earth is flat etc,,,,

I agree FB has caused a shift away from traditional forums, but maybe not that bad a one.

The issue you have is that all forms of Social media are often driven by people who shout the loudest, but not always the most logical.

Consider this - years ago on here we had a few individuals who went out of their way to wind up people - with FB they have found a new outlet for their frustrations, so we get logical, well thought out content and social media can put up with the muppets!

Not a bad trade I think?

Give me quality over quantity any day.

#45 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:12 PM

So when I get my third (booster) jab they will be able to triangulate my position - bugger :shy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users