#47 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:29 PM

Well you can't uninvent something, and the technology is there on FB , WhatsApp etc to take a pic and post it without having to upload it to some advert heavy piece of 3rd party software to resize it etc., but it doesn't seem to exist for forums.
Do you still use a chemical film camera? Or do you prefer the 'instant gratification' of digital? There is much to be said about taking pride in things you do but at the same time why use old tech just for the sake of it when there's clearly a better solution.

Hope your not talking about my old tech mini :-), got rid of my Lexus is250  (all the toys but totally boring ) to get a BM e30 cabriolet and now my old tech mini, at my age anything newer than 30 years is new tech.... by the way i found to many idiots on FB so don't use it anymore.

Allan

#48 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:52 PM

Great little post / topic

Long live TMF :-D

new to the forum and finding it great, thanks to all the work of the Admin

#49 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:17 AM

I do find it somewhat amusing when Faceache goes down how many people and companies around the world moan with 'the end is near', there's some underlying thinking that it's a public utility and the Government is to blame. Last time I looked, it was a company who ran their own race and if they so wanted, could pull their own plug - permanently.

They will shortly be trying to rebrand themselves to Meta, I can't recall all the reasons for this, but suffice to say the aim is to be even more insidious in the data it vacuums up.

Great little post / topic

Long live TMF :-D

new to the forum and finding it great, thanks to all the work of the Admin

Yes, long live TMF and Aly-g, I'm glad that you are enjoying the TMF Experience, thanks too for your praise of the Admins and Mods, but largely, the very fine group of TMFers we have here are to also be praised for the positive contributions they all make.

#50 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:27 AM

This article is interesting: - https://www.operanew...d=share_request

Makes the traditional 'Big Brother' look like your best friend. According to this article they can even read your heartbeat from the accelerometer readings in your phone.

#51 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 12:33 PM

The amusing thing is that it wants me to download an app to read the whole story.

#52 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

Makes the traditional 'Big Brother' look like your best friend. According to this article they can even read your heartbeat from the accelerometer readings in your phone.

Oops that link has gone dead!  From what I recall FB can trace your movements even after you have logged out. Even if your location is off they can find you by comparing your accelerometer reading with others. Seems a bit far fetched but can they be trusted? FB are now looking at the 'metaverse' - a highly immersive virtual realty world where people interact, rest, play and work, - i take that to mean a place where the likes of FB control people for there own ends - where is my copy of 1984.

#53 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:01 PM

Oops that link has gone dead!  From what I recall FB can trace your movements even after you have logged out. Even if your location is off they can find you by comparing your accelerometer reading with others. Seems a bit far fetched but can they be trusted? FB are now looking at the 'metaverse' - a highly immersive virtual realty world where people interact, rest, play and work, - I take that to mean a place where the likes of FB control people for there own ends - where is my copy of 1984

#54 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:04 PM

Oops that link has gone dead!  From what I recall FB can trace your movements even after you have logged out. Even if your location is off they can find you by comparing your accelerometer reading with others. Seems a bit far fetched but can they be trusted? FB are now looking at the 'metaverse' - a highly immersive virtual realty world where people interact, rest, play and work, - i take that to mean a place where the likes of FB control people for there own ends - where is my copy of 1984.

I guess that's why FB are getting upset with Apple and their latest privacy features in IOS. Not that I'd trust Apple either, but I'm not really bothered what data they farm from me as it makes the adverts on Instagram slightly more relevant...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users