54 replies to this topic

#1 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

I might have a chance to develop a K-series subframe for a mini . using the normally std mini suspension. and to fit in a std round nose.

what do people think ? is it worth looking into ?

Matt

#2 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:49 AM

I guess it all depends on cost, but if its similar or cheaper than the metro frames then i think its worth it as you keep mini suspension and track width which should mean the rear can stay unaltered, and parts all stay mini.

#3 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

would be a good seller i think due to the cheapness of the engines as long as its in line price wise with the other frames avalible for other engine then i think you'd be onto a winner. Would also cater for variuos engine size as its the same block for 1.4 -1.8. I know its a bit soon but how soon would the be produced if they were to go ahead? as i myself would be interested.

#4 metro1275

metro1275

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

yes this would be a good seller dependant on cost, as the engines are fairly cheap and plentiful, you can get them from the humble rover metro 1.1 all the way to the lotus 1.8, worth looking into adding an extra gear box mount for a pg1 gearbox as opposed to the r65 unit, as many people run the 1.8's through the r65 boxes, which have unsuited ratios and are not strong enough,
also fiberglass flip fronts are fairly cheap- i think im right in saying you would need one to convert

Edited by metro1275, 08 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#5 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

yes this would be a good seller dependant on cost, as the engines are fairly cheap and plentiful, you can get them from the humble rover metro 1.1 all the way to the lotus 1.8, worth looking into adding an extra gear box mount for a pg1 gearbox as opposed to the r65 unit, as many people run the 1.8's through the r65 boxes, which have unsuited ratios and are not strong enough,
also fiberglass flip fronts are fairly cheap- i think im right in saying you would need one to convert

Not sure about the pg1 box due to the size issues. I know they fit in the metro frame but when i placed my pg1 box in a butchard mini subframe it had no chance of fitting :'( plus the r65is geared for 13" wheels which i'm seeing as a bonus :withstupid:

#6 metro1275

metro1275

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

Not sure about the pg1 box due to the size issues. I know they fit in the metro frame but when i placed my pg1 box in a butchard mini subframe it had no chance of fitting :'( plus the r65is geared for 13" wheels which i'm seeing as a bonus :withstupid:

ah i didnt know there was size issue between the boxes in mini's :withstupid: there is definiteley a clutch issue when using a high powered k on a r65 tho and you can get a pg1 with an lsd for 100 quid from a 420ti :-

keep us updated i might be interested

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

now that is a very good idea, what kinda price are we looking at though?.... I like the K-series engine and I think being able to get a standard fit subby would be a great idea, plus,l I'm interested in (at some point) doing the GTA conversion (1.4 twin cam 16V) what sure help me out a lot lol!!!!!

Put my name down for this if it happens mate.

also I asume there would be no obsticles regarding clubman fitting?

#8 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

I picked up a 1600 16v (60k) with everything for £250.

all i need is the frame and that. which ive also got for £400 :withstupid:

not bad, £650 for a full K conversion.. barring some fabrication for pedals etc. but then again, im using metro setup and clubby front is already on.

Dave

Edited by mighty_mini, 08 November 2006 - 02:55 PM.

#9 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

i supose the key question now is , who would be willing to put a deposit down for one :withstupid:

Matt

#10 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

i supose the key question now is , who would be willing to put a deposit down for one :withstupid:

Matt

Dependant on price i would be and also have a spare engine and box to use as a doner if needed.

#11 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dependant on price i would be and also have a spare engine and box to use as a doner if needed.

hard to give an exact price untill its made as how it mounts etc will vary cost.
all i can say and guarantee is for any of the deposit people i would not charge them any more than the VTEC frame cost.

Matt

#12 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

hard to give an exact price untill its made as how it mounts etc will vary cost.
all i can say and guarantee is for any of the deposit people i would not charge them any more than the VTEC frame cost.

Matt

so how much would that max cost be?? because if it's like... a billion pounds i'm buggered lol.

#13 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

max would be 799 , thats all i can say as it really is a finger in the air untill we start to develop it.

Matt

#14 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Matt

so how much would that max cost be?? because if it's like... a billion pounds i'm buggered lol.

He says it should be no more that the vtec frame but not sure if he means a bare frame or one with everything. if its a bare frame then http://www.16vminish...;products_id=29

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

i would be interested but not willing to put down a deposit yet oweing to the fact that im not finished with my a-series just yet!! got to plan ahead tho so i'll be keeping my eye on this thread!!

thanks retro for that link by the way, i'll take the plunge before long!!

when the 1.8 k-series is fitted to the 1.4 gti gearbox in a metro there is an issue with the gearbox strength!! it may not be so aparant with a mini tho as its lighter! just so you're aware it mite be an idea to try the pg1 box fitment!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users