#16 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:51 PM

The reality is that all road users should have a safety responsibility to all other road users. Yes there are many reckless car drivers but there are a greater many reckless cyclists who jump lights, ride far to fast for the prevailing road conditions, weave in and out of slow moving traffic and insist on riding two abreast in traffic 'because it says I can ride two abreast in the Highway code'. It does say two abreast, but not along country lanes or in traffic. It is time cyclists were identifiable with number plates like car drivers. It is far too easy for a reckless cyclist to zoom past with no consideration and anticipation of what a motorist might innocently do.

#17 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

I agree to an extent, but number plates on bikes isn’t viable. Does a four year old need number plates? A 15 year old? 

As for riding two abreast, it’s a difficult one. I was following a group of 10/12 cyclists yesterday on a reasonable b road, they were single file, which meant it wasn’t possible to get past them safely for quite a while, if they’d been doubled up it’d have been much easier as they line would have been half the length. They probably thought they were doing the right thing. 

My main issue is that we’re incredibly vulnerable on bikes, so why some cyclists take the risks that they do is beyond me. Obviously all road users are guilty of doing silly things, but in a modern car you’re unlikely to be injured.

Ultimately we all need to be more considerate of each other, but sadly the opposite is happening. 

#18 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 18 December 2021 - 05:23 PM

I agree to an extent, but number plates on bikes isn’t viable. Does a four year old need number plates? A 15 year old? 

As for riding two abreast, it’s a difficult one. I was following a group of 10/12 cyclists yesterday on a reasonable b road, they were single file, which meant it wasn’t possible to get past them safely for quite a while, if they’d been doubled up it’d have been much easier as they line would have been half the length. They probably thought they were doing the right thing. 

My main issue is that we’re incredibly vulnerable on bikes, so why some cyclists take the risks that they do is beyond me. Obviously all road users are guilty of doing silly things, but in a modern car you’re unlikely to be injured.

Ultimately we all need to be more considerate of each other, but sadly the opposite is happening. 

Most cyclists are sensible, it's the speed element, the ones who slipstream each other and race that need to be identifiable. As to groups - tractors are obliged to pull over when a faster vehicle comes up behind, why should the same not apply to cyclists.

One thing I would ban is those clip on shoes to peddles gadgets. I've seen a cyclist fall over because he could not unclip fast enough. could have been really nasty!

#19 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 05:34 PM

One thing I would ban is those clip on shoes to peddles gadgets. I've seen a cyclist fall over because he could not unclip fast enough. could have been really nasty!

LOL, I'd be on the deck every ride without clipless pedals  :gimme:

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,377 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 December 2021 - 01:38 AM

what's up with toeclips?  :shy:

The highway code really has to be read from the 1st person perspective - I see nothing wrong with making drivers fear the consequences of colliding with a pushbike more. Cyclists with any sense of self preservation should already have it.

Look at it with positions swapped & it's obviously suicidal for a cyclist to initiate a right turn without considering cars behind that will be going faster with the expectation to overtake them. Car drivers ought to exercise the same caution when they're in traffic going slower than a pushbike* can. I think this just emphasises that, and adds some direction for insurers & lawyers if they have to sort out liability when somebody gets it wrong.

*motorbikes ought to an ever present consideration.

#21 One step at a time

One step at a time

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:03 AM

Does this mean cyclists will be stopping at red lights and not jump them ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users