#1 callumensor

callumensor

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:48 PM

Hi All,

I bought some GAZ lowering shocks to replace the shocks that were already on the car (standard height).

They are noticeably wider than the original ones as they have the adjustment etc. 

When I've gone to fit the rears they don't quite line up with the top strut hole and so I've had to basically force it into the hole. 

After I've done this I've noticed that the shock body/dust boot is sat right against the arch. 

Presumably it shouldn't be like this. 

Could it be that the previous owner has had welding work done to the car in the past and welded the arches in the wrong place?

If so roughly how much would it cost to sort out, id tackle it myself but id want it perfectly aligning. 

Cheers

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:29 PM

Bin the gaz shocks and fit kyb gas adjust

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:40 PM

Sorryy sounds like typical Gaz issues. They often catch on the radius arm when first fitted. As the body of the shock is too wide to clear the arm until the car is on the ground.

#4 ThermalEvent

ThermalEvent

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 January 2022 - 10:50 AM

Hi All,

I bought some GAZ lowering shocks to replace the shocks that were already on the car (standard height).

They are noticeably wider than the original ones as they have the adjustment etc.

When I've gone to fit the rears they don't quite line up with the top strut hole and so I've had to basically force it into the hole.

After I've done this I've noticed that the shock body/dust boot is sat right against the arch.
Presumably it shouldn't be like this.

Could it be that the previous owner has had welding work done to the car in the past and welded the arches in the wrong place?

If so roughly how much would it cost to sort out, id tackle it myself but id want it perfectly aligning.

Cheers

I had the exact same issue installing Gaz lowered shocks. They didn't line up with the strut mounts and the rubber bushes were too thick so I couldn't start the nut on the threads.

I had to remove the radius arm, fit the damper to the body (to get the nut started) and then refit the radius arm to subframe and damper. It was a PITA!

There is minimal clearance between the dust boot and body but if you can spin the boot by hand then I'd say its not an issue as it's not catching, mine are exactly the same.

When fitting the fronts I had to bent the lip on the inner wing both sides as this was cutting into the dust boot.

I thought it was just me but interesting to hear you also have the same issue!

#5 callum_ensor

callum_ensor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Minis

Posted 23 January 2022 - 05:59 PM

So I’ve had the rear radius arm off today, tried realigning the radius arm and putting the shocker in first etc. still having little joy with the dust boot catching on the body of the car…
Wondering what to do next or to just leave it.
Took it out for a little test drive earlier and seemed alright. Just don’t want any percussions from doing this

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:18 PM

I have fitted these in the past and had no issues with clearance.

I'm actually just wondering if your radius arms are bent ?  Not uncommon.

#7 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:26 PM

I fitted the Gaz shocks as well....lowered type.  No fitting issues at all.  MkIV car

I did notice that they are stiff as hell....even on the lowest settings

#8 REDICE

REDICE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:53 AM

Tried Gaz dampers but one developed a free spot at the start of the travel - right where it needs to work. Got rid. Steer clear.

#9 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:52 AM

fitted lowered gaz to both minis no problems at all, noticeable improvement over kyb gas adjust fitted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users