Photo
- - - - -

What Can, Or Should, I Do With This Early Gearbox?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mmaki

mmaki

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 02:30 AM

I am trying to figure out how to proceed with my gearbox. It is a '67 3 synchro magic wand 22a1288 case

You can see in the picture the laygear and 1st gear teeth are worn, and the laygear teeth are pitted:

https://imgur.com/a/BivUu6U

The laygear, which I thought read 22A231, but must be a 22G231 from looking at parts lists, doesn't seem to be available.

Basic bearing rebuild kits don't seem to be available either. Perhaps I can piece the parts together but now I am wondering if it is worth the work and money if I can't replace 1st gear.

Maybe I should just put it back together and pretend I didn't look at it.

#2 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:48 AM

The laygear looks like the laygear in my 3 synchro box.  I've retired it from daily use but I do have a replacement to fit.  What do you want to do with it - use it?  You can get a fair few of the parts, just need to shop around.

Not used them..

https://www.ebay.co....OYAAOSwj3NefoNU

Edited by floormanager, 18 January 2022 - 06:49 AM.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:48 AM

It depends on what the overall outcome is that you are seeking, eg, a period restoration or a Mini to be driven or ??

Personally, for anything other than a period restoration, beyond the diff thrust washers, I'd not even look at it, but just add it to the stack of other 3 Syncho Boxes and fit as first preference, a Rod Shift box and second would be a Remote 4 Synchro.

It's been a little while since I needed to look, but bearings were available. I'm sure I saw too not that long ago someone had new laygears too. Where overhauling these boxes can run in to brick walls I found is mostly around the Synchro Hubs, determining what you actually have and then finding parts for them can be a mission. There was a truck load and then some, changes and revisions to these during production.

#4 mmaki

mmaki

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 03:08 PM

The laygear looks like the laygear in my 3 synchro box.  I've retired it from daily use but I do have a replacement to fit.  What do you want to do with it - use it?  You can get a fair few of the parts, just need to shop around.

Not used them..

https://www.ebay.co....OYAAOSwj3NefoNU

I did see that ebay listing in my searching however it is listed as a 3 synchro but the text describes it as a 4 synchro kit. Regardless it is a lot of money to put into a transmission that will still have worn gears. There is another 3 synchro laygear that is more common but I haven't found anyone selling this one.

#5 mmaki

mmaki

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

It depends on what the overall outcome is that you are seeking, eg, a period restoration or a Mini to be driven or ??

Personally, for anything other than a period restoration, beyond the diff thrust washers, I'd not even look at it, but just add it to the stack of other 3 Syncho Boxes and fit as first preference, a Rod Shift box and second would be a Remote 4 Synchro.

It's been a little while since I needed to look, but bearings were available. I'm sure I saw too not that long ago someone had new laygears too. Where overhauling these boxes can run in to brick walls I found is mostly around the Synchro Hubs, determining what you actually have and then finding parts for them can be a mission. There was a truck load and then some, changes and revisions to these during production.

I think my best option is to put it back together and hope for the best. I should say I have never driven the car as I got it in pieces. It is a MKII hydro car so I think  it would be a shame to not retain the magic wand shifter, besides, I already cut out the square transmission tunnel of my replacement floor and cut the hole for the shifter and carpeted over it. I don't really want to redo all that.

My issue is that I am in Canada, engines and gearboxes are just not plentiful. Certainly none local.

My intention is to get my Mini on the road in the spring but also keep a eye out for a 1275 engine and gearbox for maybe replacement in a few years, or sooner if things break.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 January 2022 - 08:20 PM

I think my best option is to put it back together and hope for the best. I should say I have never driven the car as I got it in pieces. It is a MKII hydro car so I think  it would be a shame to not retain the magic wand shifter, besides, I already cut out the square transmission tunnel of my replacement floor and cut the hole for the shifter and carpeted over it. I don't really want to redo all that.

My issue is that I am in Canada, engines and gearboxes are just not plentiful. Certainly none local.

My intention is to get my Mini on the road in the spring but also keep a eye out for a 1275 engine and gearbox for maybe replacement in a few years, or sooner if things break.

My reasoning for suggesting a Rod Shift Box is that just about all parts are still available new. The All Synchro Remote Boxes are in a similar boat. Both of these can be fitted up as a Magic Wand arrangement, there was only a thread recently on the Rod type;-

https://www.theminif...can-it-be-done/

I get that you may wish to get the car running and then decide which way to go here, but it is a viable option down the track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users