33 replies to this topic

#16 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:31 PM

My guess as mentioned above is that they weren't fitted correctly and we damaged, these wheels need the tyres fitted from the rear if I remember correctly and a lot of tyre places might not know that these days and just force them on.

I assume you will change all four of them (and the spare if the same) as the rears are likely to do the same at some point.

#17 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:41 AM

I have used the Marshal KR11 a couple of times and still have a set dated 2013 and all has been well.

I used them on my daily driver and after falken tyres they were much better in the rain, not great but much better .

I even short circuit raced on a set and they has serious abuse and felt fortunate they didn`t roll off the S rims as I didn`t have tubes fitted.

I ( there`s a lot of I`s in my post ! ) I`ve probably fitted 80 - 100 10" tyres using machine and a good old rubber hammer and I found out early on it is quite easily possible to break the steel banding whilst machine fitting the tyres as you can hear them snapping so it`s my guess this is what has happened.

In fact a set of Dunlops I had stated in the label that the warranty was void if machine fitted.

Most of our tyres are manufactured in China / asia these days even the German ones

#18 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:01 AM

Most of our tyres are manufactured in China / asia these days even the German ones

But some quality control will be better than others! You would hope the major companies are a lot better at that than some.

#19 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:32 PM

This may sting a little...    https://www.sidmarti...-made-in-china/

Several top global brands such as Michelin (two production plants), Bridgestone (six plants), Goodyear (two plants), Continental (two plants), Pirelli (two plants), Yokohama (three plants), Hankook (four plants), and Kumho (three plants) are present in China through their manufacturing units.

#20 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:30 PM

both probably gone at the same time as you where doing miles on the motorway and they got some heat into them

I would have thought the tyres havnt been kept in the proper conditions, for one to go, maybe, but both at the same time seems strange.

#21 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:15 PM

both probably gone at the same time as you where doing miles on the motorway and they got some heat into them

I would have thought the tyres havnt been kept in the proper conditions, for one to go, maybe, but both at the same time seems strange.

Passenger side completely fell apart on inside and outside of the sidewall
Drivers side just lost all structure and the metal reinforcement frayed out of the sidewall, but it did still hold air...

This is their first significant motorway journey... never exceeded 65mph (probably didn't exceed 60)
They have previously done 1 hour plus journeys on A roads at the same sort of speeds.. and some semi enthusiastic driving on Norfolk B roads

I obviously can't know their 5 or 6 year storage before I got them.. but they show no signs of perishing or cracking both in feel and visually..

It just seems really alarming to me that they would fail so spectacularly whilst being used well within their limit of speed/weight. Regardless of age not being excessively over what is considered advisable I'd have thought any potential degradation would still be in a tolerance for tyres designed to do 100mph+ with hundreds of KG on them

Heat... might explain why the passenger side failed more significantly with the additional radiator heat nearby.. but it still feels a bit extreme to me... the weather wasn't really hot causing the tarmac to have any affect.

Either way it's really put me off any unknown brands of tyre

#22 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,894 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:43 PM

The fact they all failed like that smacks of a batch issue rather than a storage issue.

I will say some of the cheap and cheerful tyres out there can be a disaster waiting to happen. I bought some Wanlin tyres for my Passat. had them fitted on the rear of the car and the car always felt unsettled. Yes not the best handling car in the world but it would handle corners and roundabouts with ease on decent rubber.  Fitting those bad boys was a poor judgement call by me (trying to save some monies) and on one journey home from work, going round a roundabout i had been using for years on a perfectly dry road i ended up spinning and coming to a halt a couple of inches from the central reservation barrier.

That day i took the car in for a fresh set of premium tyres as there was no way i could have that happen again. Told the tyre fitter what happened and when he took those tyres off they were so hard it was ridiculous. Age hardened!! They were not second hand, but brand new when i bought them. They went on my rims with no issues but less than 5000 miles later (plenty of tread) they were shot. And well in date as well. (at the time bought of Blackcircles)

So for me a salutary lesson learnt. 

#23 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:49 PM

Cheap looking and sounding brands could come from a well respected manufacturer,Steve..

#24 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,894 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

Cheap looking and sounding brands could come from a well respected manufacturer,Steve..

Wanlin or now know as Wanli are made in China. But as you say there are some premium Brands that are not just made in the their country but China as well.

#25 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:13 PM

It is all down to the cost/profit ratio and some of the leading manufacturers are moving to the orient for this reason, but that said their quality is not compromised. It was not so many years ago when the car manufacturers bought grade 1 only tyres from the tyre makers, you never saw a balance weight on wheels of new cars compared to todays offerings and maybe car manufacturers are cost cutting here. 

I have never thought budget tyres were a good option, from whichever country of origin, and only last week I had a car in the workshop with "London Bridge" tyres!!!!!, a product from the east, just another random make. 

There is obviously a demand for this standard of tyre all the main "quick fit" type suppliers offer them, cost driven I presume, else their market would not be there. Presumably a lot classic cars are not daily drivers and owners may grudge paying for a premium brand but remember it is only a small patch of rubber in contact with the road no matter how many miles/speed you travel. 

It is definately a case of "buyer beware".

#26 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:59 PM

I remember buying a new bike in the 60s and was a bit put out by the tyre make:

Di Yung ... !!!

The tyres didn't last long ... I'm still here though! :)

#27 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:30 AM

Maybe they were damaged structurally when fitted to the rims badly....many tyre fitting places no longer have the correct tools to fit 10" tyres, or maybe the guy that sold them to you may have done a bodge DIY job?

Also Mini wheels have to be set on the machine the other way around to what fitters are used to. I had to correct one guy who was old enough to know better.

#28 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

Posted on my local clubs Facebook page. The same Marshal KR11 after 400 miles.

1652949207197.jpg

#29 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:10 AM

So if it looked like that at 400 miles how did it fail after 700?It had already failed,Steve..

#30 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 03:36 PM

Driving over 60 mph on the highway with unknown tyres is just stupid, stick to reputable brand names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users