• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:22 AM

Hey guys... My project mini is in good condition, the underside generally covered in a collection of various aerosol and brushed protections like hammerite, waxoil, etc etc.

I would like to have it as one uniform finish and noticed I could buy Red Schutz cheaply on eBay. Seems the perfect solution to me as the mini is no show queen, But I'd like it to be somewhat colour coded on the underside. I'd like to avoid the hammerite/waxoil you can get in an aerosol.

Without a compressor, I'm wondering how I would be able to spray it thickly enough. Has anybody come up with a handy DIY solution? Would a Fence sprayer manage if it was thinned adequately,.. would it be too thin to build a nice layer? What about hand sprayers?

Or is there a suitable product out there I haven't managed to find yet? It would be nice to have it red to match (roughly) with the bodywork.

Cheers :)

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:59 AM

You can buy Stone chip in Aerosol and then you can over paint to match.

https://www.halfords...iRoCp44QAvD_BwE

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:33 PM

You can buy Stone chip in Aerosol and then you can over paint to match.

https://www.halfords...iRoCp44QAvD_BwE

Yep, I've done that before and this is already on the car in various places, I am asking specifically about getting away from those thin aerosols and using something thicker that is body coloured, that won't show a stonechip so easily

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:53 PM

I think you've really answered your own question there really - without the proper equipment you're not going to find anything better than a 'thin' aerosol as you'll need to thin down anything to make it sprayable with what you have.

The only thing that might cope is a decorating airless sprayer - but then if you're going to be a half decent one of those you may as well buy a cheap compressor.

You could always hire a compressor (if you don't know anyone you could borrow one from).

Still aerosol, but this might be better:

https://paintman.co....-400ml-aerosol/

Edited by GraemeC, 13 October 2022 - 12:54 PM.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:59 PM

I think you've really answered your own question there really - without the proper equipment you're not going to find anything better than a 'thin' aerosol as you'll need to thin down anything to make it sprayable with what you have.
The only thing that might cope is a decorating airless sprayer - but then if you're going to be a half decent one of those you may as well buy a cheap compressor.

You could always hire a compressor (if you don't know anyone you could borrow one from).

Still aerosol, but this might be better:
https://paintman.co....-400ml-aerosol/

Bah. It would explain the lack of "I sprayed Schutz with a fence sprayer" videos on YouTube. Well... I guess I'll see how much compressor hire is. A small one would suffice.

Cheers.

Edited by Retro_10s, 13 October 2022 - 12:59 PM.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:04 PM

I have used a small 50 ltr compressor to spray stonechip before. However no matter what i warm the tin up before spraying for a better flow rate. The aerosol can be layered so with a bit of patience you can get the desired result.

As for body colour, Raptor can be tinted before application but i'm not sure about stonechip. its very easily over painted though.

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:13 PM

Ah yes, I'd read about warming the tin before hand, and I've come across raptor before but not used it. I've also heard of gravitex (I think) which seems to be well recommended.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:22 PM

That link I posted is tinted Raptor in an aerosol - I would think it would be a good choice personally

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 02:57 PM

Ah yes, I'd read about warming the tin before hand, and I've come across raptor before but not used it. I've also heard of gravitex (I think) which seems to be well recommended.

I use Gravitex all the time and spray over it. Project Paddy in my link shows the result (look towards the end of the build thread) 

75bdd5d39a34e72028427dcf46566d8983d961bd

CzaIuVK.jpg

5E6pEjR.jpg

#10 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 01:04 PM

Why don't you get some tinted upol raptor, and apply with a roller. Gives you a stone chip type finish that way

Edited by mini_surfari, 19 October 2022 - 01:04 PM.

#11 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 07:54 AM

Why don't you get some tinted upol raptor, and apply with a roller. Gives you a stone chip type finish that way

Thanks for the tip! I may well try this,.. I have a jawel paints store close by that can make the correct Targa red raptor for me

I've also seen MIPA branded which is about 4x cheaper... anyone with experience of this? Too good/cheap to be true?

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 10:45 AM

Don't know if you can find the full episode? But they used a textured version of combicolor on the bed of the Suzuki they rollered. 

https://www.promain....ipping-bangers/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users