#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 December 2022 - 10:16 PM

in fact they have still got to work out what to do with the lithium batteries and all the other polluting items used to make thes so called clean cars. 

Allan

But the batteries will still be where we put 'em and not spread out 20-30 thousand feet up in the air. So we can recycle them, or store them more easily until we figure out how to do it best.

I can't remember where, but I think I read that if they're no longer keep enough charge to work well enough for a car, they can be put to good use in energy storage banks for solar and calm days

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 December 2022 - 10:45 PM

The environmental cost of vaping When people discard e-cigarettes, they are also discarding one of the most precious metals on earth.

"This means that when we toss out 67.6 million single-use vapes per year, we are also throwing away ten tonnes of lithium. That’s enough to make batteries for 1,200 Teslas. When we discard these brightly coloured bars, we are also discarding one of the most precious materials on earth.

Justin Greenaway, commercial manager at Sweeep Kuusakoski, a waste electrical and electronic equipment recycling facility, said most disposable vapes end up in landfill or the incinerator. He told ITV: ‘There’s lithium in the lithium battery that we want to be making new cars out of, and all of that is becoming rubbish and not being reused.’

We have a product containing rare, expensive materials which is being sold as a cheap, disposable item. By 2040 the International Energy Agency expects demand for lithium to grow to more than 40 times its current level. And the appetite for new lithium extraction – an energy intensive process – can be blunted by boosting recycling rates."

https://www.spectato...cost-of-vaping/

Edited by mab01uk, 18 December 2022 - 10:45 PM.

#18 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 10:51 PM

1200 less Tesla’s is a good thing imo.

#19 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:49 AM

Watching BBC travel news just now,70 wide bodied jets landing before 7am.Last week 61% of our electric was generated by gas power stations at some times.No government is serious about "green",they see profits.Steve..

#20 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 08:13 AM

Or maybe they’re concerned about paying for all the furlough payments and other covid handouts?

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:43 AM

If they are they should follow the money, as they say.

Furlough went to employees who weren't allowed to do stuff nobody really needed. They used it to pay rent & mortgages - ultimately a lot ended up in the pockets of bankers.

#22 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:55 AM

But the batteries will still be where we put 'em and not spread out 20-30 thousand feet up in the air. So we can recycle them, or store them more easily until we figure out how to do it best.

I can't remember where, but I think I read that if they're no longer keep enough charge to work well enough for a car, they can be put to good use in energy storage banks for solar and calm days

Let's just hope they don't catch fire when all stored together.

#23 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:00 AM

already have this system in paris and the french didn't complain!!

#24 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:09 AM

I stand corrected,I am a member of this forum.this is the only one and I feel very few negative vibrations from it.Steve..

Tut tut, go and stand in the corner !

Allan

#25 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:24 AM

Good point well said

#26 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 11:18 AM

Furlough went to employees who weren't allowed to do stuff nobody really needed. 

Some of it. Either way, it still has to be paid for by taxes.

#27 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 02:06 PM

Furlough went to employees who weren't allowed to do stuff nobody really needed. 

Some of it. Either way, it still has to be paid for by taxes.

Government:  we decide what you owe us and then take it from you under threat of violence and spend it on what we want to whether you like it or not despite you never agreeing to any of it.  Didn't the mafia work the same way?

#28 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 02:31 PM

:gimme:

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 03:08 PM

Good point well said

Indeed, who's ever heard of petrol catching fire  ;D

#30 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 December 2022 - 04:15 PM

Good point well said

Indeed, who's ever heard of petrol catching fire  ;D

E-scooters and electric unicycles have been banned on London's public transport network due to the fire risk.

I think another problem with lithium battery fires is how difficult they are to extinguish?

https://www.axa.co.u...s-and-scooters/

Edited by mab01uk, 19 December 2022 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users