32 replies to this topic

#1 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:20 PM

I saw on on the London to Brighton Run webpage, that this may be the last London to Brighton Mini Run because of the planned extension of London's ULEZ zone.

Are Mini's that bad on emissions?

I guess the options are to either pay the charge or move the start point. I think moving the start point might be best because it is barely in London anyway.

What do you think?

#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:28 PM

It is the biggest event in LSMOC calendar, so I hope they just move the start point again. The emissions on a Mini are going to be a lot higher than modern vehicles as it is a very old engine design. BMW kept it going with the aid of fuel injection and cats but in the end it would have been too expensive to get it clean enough to meet ULEZ rules. The stupid thing is if your car is over 40 years old then it is a classic and immune from the charge however much it pollutes!. 

#3 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:57 PM

I don't understand it could be the last 1. Half the cars are more than 40 years old or BINIS anyway. The rest just need to pay 12 quid.
After last year and the queues getting onto madeira drive I would say the green party in Brighton are more likely to kick up a fuss.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,890 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:16 PM

ZmqhDdM.jpg

The London and Surrey Mini Owners Club (LSMOC) has announced 2023 is probably going to be the last London to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ zone by the London Mayor, which from August will be expanded to cover last years new starting point in Cheam, Surrey which is in an outer London borough. It probably won't be long before Brighton has one too with the Green Party in control of the Council.
Historic tax vehicles are exempt from the ULEZ charge but LSMOC say the majority of classic Minis that were entered for the 2022 event were NOT classified as exempt/historic. There are also other reasons for this probably being the last event and LSMOC say these will be expanded on later but to give an idea the phenomenal costs/administration that are involved in the running of this two day event are not compatible.
https://www.facebook...rightonminirun/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 January 2023 - 04:17 PM.

#5 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:24 PM

There are also other reasons for this probably being the last event and LSMOC say these will be expanded on later but to give an idea the phenomenal costs/administration that are involved in the running of this two day event are not compatible.

Thats the real reason. Ulez is not the problem

#6 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:16 PM

I don't understand it could be the last 1. Half the cars are more than 40 years old or BINIS anyway. The rest just need to pay 12 quid.
After last year and the queues getting onto madeira drive I would say the green party in Brighton are more likely to kick up a fuss.

Most classic Minis that attend do not have Historic status and it's a 2 day event so £25 not £12.50... A lot of people complained when the tickets went up to £45 so you can imagine what will happen when it's £70...

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:40 PM

Most classic Minis that attend do not have Historic status and it's a 2 day event so £25 not £12.50... A lot of people complained when the tickets went up to £45 so you can imagine what will happen when it's £70...

People always complain about price rises, but enthusiasts know where there priorities are.

Edited by DeadSquare, 12 January 2023 - 04:30 PM.

#8 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

Once a year.....
If you are running any classic its not a cheap hobby

#9 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:17 AM

Once a year.....
If you are running any classic its not a cheap hobby

I was merely stating facts... Loads of posts saying all cars are exempt and it's only £12 when neither is the case. 

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,890 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:25 AM

Reported in the Mail today:-

Will Sadiq Khan's car pollution tax drive classic race off the road? ULEZ expansion threatens annual London to Brighton Mini Run?

From August 29, the zone will be expanded to cover the start in Cheam, with the worst polluting cars charged £12.50 a day. 

Although exemptions are in place for some classic cars, one organiser said around half of the run’s regulars would be hit by a two-day charge since many motorists camp overnight.

He added: ‘We already have to sell tickets for £45 and not many will be willing to pay £70 to take part.’

https://www.dailymai...-race-road.html

Edited by mab01uk, 21 January 2023 - 09:33 AM.

#11 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:34 AM

What I can't understand is we are supposed to live in a democracy but when the majority vote no to something the politicians ignore the vote ? 68% voted against the extention of the ulez in the consultation, does this mean there is no longer any point in voting or voicing your opinion anymore ?

Allan

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,890 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

What I can't understand is we are supposed to live in a democracy but when the majority vote no to something the politicians ignore the vote ? 68% voted against the extention of the ulez in the consultation, does this mean there is no longer any point in voting or voicing your opinion anymore ?

Allan

The Mayor of London apparently says it was a consultation which showed majority against and not a referendum so he can conveniently ignore the public vote....so yes appears no point in voting!

Edited by mab01uk, 21 January 2023 - 07:46 PM.

#13 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 06:10 PM

I must admit I think its a shame all round really, the Mrs and I always enjoy it, I know the last mile Can be a bit of a snorter, and I think she actually enjoys me going into apoplectic fits at times, it's one of the few times you get a large gathering of classic minis, the atmosphere is great, with like minded people. I won't be surprised if its the last one, there's only so much s#it the organisers can take and I think ULEZ is the icing on the cake. We have already been talking about different runs next year, we shall see.

Shooter

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,890 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:33 PM

Latest statement from Croydon Mayor Perry on ULEZ expansion.

"Croydon Council strongly opposes Sadiq Khan’s plan to expand the Ultra-Low Emission Zone. Khan’s plan will not only force hundreds of Croydon residents to pay £12.50 a day just to drive their car, but his own studies show it will have very little environmental impact. “Alongside other outer London authorities, Croydon is exploring options to legally challenge this flawed expansion. We will also be resisting attempts by TfL to use our lampposts and street furniture for ULEZ signage and cameras."

https://news.croydon...ulez-expansion/

Edited by mab01uk, 23 January 2023 - 07:34 PM.

#15 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 08:07 PM

Latest statement from Croydon Mayor Perry on ULEZ expansion.
"Croydon Council strongly opposes Sadiq Khan’s plan to expand the Ultra-Low Emission Zone. Khan’s plan will not only force hundreds of Croydon residents to pay £12.50 a day just to drive their car, but his own studies show it will have very little environmental impact. “Alongside other outer London authorities, Croydon is exploring options to legally challenge this flawed expansion. We will also be resisting attempts by TfL to use our lampposts and street furniture for ULEZ signage and cameras."
https://news.croydon...ulez-expansion/

A glimmer of hope and sanity

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users