unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:20 PM

About time.  Bit pricey though.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Are these the same as the ones from Guessworks?  Those are far cheaper.

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=611

#2 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:00 PM

I can't imagine that there are many companies making sealed ball joints, so I expect they are the same. I bought a new set of ball joints and they were so far out of spec, I binned them and bought a set of guessworks ones, job done.

Shooter

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

There’s also the original type ones from Japan which are about £40 each at the current exchange rate. I believe from previous posts they are different to the Guessworks ones
https://classicminis...ee-ball-joints/

A recent post by David at CMJ confirms Minispares are selling the same ones as him

Minispares have a photo on Facebook and they are stamped “Mini Delta” which is a Japanese mini shop
https://m.facebook.c...mibextid=ykz3hl

Mini delta website
https://delta-mini.c...ーボールジョイント&ロックタ/

Edited by timmy850, 27 January 2023 - 08:47 PM.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:23 PM

Minispares Have stated they are different joints to the ones Guessworks sell.  I wonder how long roughly they last compared to standard ones?

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:51 PM

Also available a bit cheaper for 4-off

MAINTENANCE FREE BALL JOINTS - (CAR SET of 4) C-GSJ166KIT
£224.64 inc vat.
http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

#6 IntMilkBrilliant

IntMilkBrilliant

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 08:07 AM

I can't imagine that there are many companies making sealed ball joints, so I expect they are the same. I bought a new set of ball joints and they were so far out of spec, I binned them and bought a set of guessworks ones, job done.

Shooter

They are not the same...

#7 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:36 AM

Shooter

They are not the same...

What's the difference then?

Shooter

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:36 AM

sadly it's a probably case of supply and demand, if they could sell loads then the price would come down, but it's a limited market.

it's more more cost effective in the long run to go down the kad alloy hub route,

#9 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:04 AM

Shooter

They are not the same...
What's the difference then?

Shooter
They are made by different companies

From David Ainley at CMJ
“ Another local write up about the maintenance free ball joints here in Japan over the weekend.

Unlike the copies that are floating around the UK at the minute, the original was in testing for over 3yrs and is continuously being checked for improvements and weak points.

Requires greasing on initial installation.

http://classicminisj...all-joint-kit/”

#10 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

So the CMJ ones are different from the MS ones?

Are the Mini Delta ones different the CMJ supplied ones?

Edited by ac427, 28 January 2023 - 04:21 PM.

#11 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:33 PM

CMJ = Minispares = Mini Delta

Bottle top is a different supplier

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:38 PM

I am also curious as to the differences between the CMJ / Delta Mini ball joints vs Guessworks ones. I have fitted a few sets of Guessworks joints now and have been very impressed with the quality but have seen some differences of opinion posted online, unsure on how much should be read into that however. 

But overall I definitely see the benefits of the fit & forget joints, it's hard to justify the cost of fitting standard type joints when factoring labour costs / time involved in lapping them in compared with how much quicker it is to fit the sealed items. On customer cars it's a no brainer in my opinion, glad to see them becoming more available over here now!

#13 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 01:09 AM

I am also curious as to the differences between the CMJ / Delta Mini ball joints vs Guessworks ones. I have fitted a few sets of Guessworks joints now and have been very impressed with the quality but have seen some differences of opinion posted online, unsure on how much should be read into that however. 

But overall I definitely see the benefits of the fit & forget joints, it's hard to justify the cost of fitting standard type joints when factoring labour costs / time involved in lapping them in compared with how much quicker it is to fit the sealed items. On customer cars it's a no brainer in my opinion, glad to see them becoming more available over here now!

I didn't realise there was any lapping in to be done. I thought they just fitted in the suspension arm as long as the hole in the arm was clear?

#14 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 02:20 AM

The stock ones will often have a few high points and it can be worth lapping them in before attempting to shim them. This will also mean there’s a bit longer before they need to be shimmed again as they won’t wear quicker at the start

The sealed ones are pretty much bolt on and go

In terms of workshop labour as he mentions, bolting on a 4 sealed units might take 5 minutes, but shimming the stock ones correctly might take an hour or so. The labour cost might outweigh the additional part cost

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:29 AM

Four standard for £40,four updated for £200+.My time is free(retired)so no brained for standard ones.Paying labour?close choice.Steve..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users